Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

1942 M5 Generator With a Schubler TCX-39 Carburetor

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 606 times

Old 11-09-2017, 10:35:45 PM
Registered

Default 1942 M5 Generator With a Schubler TCX-39 Carburetor

Hi. I have a 1942 M5 generator with a Schubler TCX-39 carburetor. I need to change the needle and seat due to the needle being stuck. Does anyone have any tips to do this? I don't want to destroy my carb. I have never rebuilt a brass carb before. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 05:30:52 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: 1942 M5 Generator With a Schubler TCX-39 Carburetor

Hello, and welcome to the 'Stak! Your Schebler carb actually may still be OK. I have a few suggestions, since I have about a dozen or so (at last count) of its brothers sitting here.
1. Parts can be had from one of our sponsors. Mcdonald carb can supply many parts for it.
2. gently remove the carb from your M-5, and carefully remove the pin that holds the shellac coated cork float.
3. soak your carb in berryman's B-12. for a few days. The inlet valve should separate from the valve seat.
4. Install carb kit from Mcdonald.
5. Other options.
6. Procure a Medium two-piece Flo-jet carb from a 5-9hp Briggs and scrap-iron engine. Note: DO NOT buy a $16 chinese POC knock off, OR pay more than $25 for an original. (it has three (3) screws holding the float bowl together)
7. remove the original gravity flow inlet seat and install a fuel pump version. (PN 394683)
8. put in a new kit, remove the original wire linkage, and MOVE your schebler linkage to the briggs carb. It fits perfectly!
9. Procure, If you don't have it already, the TM for the M-5. It will show you the correct angles, measurements, etc. to duplicate the CORRECT governor measurements on your Schebler/Briggs and Scrap-iron carb.
10. Set your needle valves to nominal B&S settings. (1 1/2 turns from lightly seated)
11. crank your little 'Herc ZXB, and tune your carb.
12. enjoy your new-found fuel economy.
13. If fuel pump parts are needed, get them from http://www.then-now-auto.com/ these are very good people to deal with, and others on this site have learned such as well, and will attest to the veracity of this statement. I have had nothing but good results with them for more than 10 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to nblack For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:35:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1942 M5 Generator With a Schubler TCX-39 Carburetor

Thanks for all the info Nblack!!!! I will definitely try soaking it. I received my kit and float from McDonald carb yesterday. I wasn't aware about the b&s carb. I have actually have a spare just like that lying around. But I really want to keep original carb thanks again for all the info!!!