Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 30EK city water model water pump impeller?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2938 times

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38:06 PM
Registered-II

Default Onan 30EK city water model water pump impeller?

Okay, I recently got this 30.0 EK-15R 9883D s/n 0573634365

It's a "city water" model. This means it has no radiator and it has a water cooled exhaust manifold. Just a half inch pipe input (through a solenoid) to the exhaust manifold and an output from the top of the block where an upper radiator hose would go.

I got it real cheap, $600.
But, it has a cracked block. At the price I paid, I can afford to replace the engine with a new (recon) long block and still be 'way ahead of the game, so to speak.

However, I want to se if I can seal this external block crack up without disassembling it. There are a couple of newer kinds of block sealers out there and the mechanic I go to suggested one of them.
The issue is, that I need a temporary heat exchanger to use during the process of putting this block-fixing solution through the cooling system.
I have already used a makeshift process to feed water and flushing agent through the system by gravity feed, but that was a tenuous process at best.
Pouring 170 degree water from a gallon milk bottle down a 2 foot pipe over and over, was no fun at all.

Here's the question: If I make up a heat exchanger by simply hooking up a coil of garden hose to the "city water" inputs and outputs on the engine, will the engine's water pump circulate that fliud or not? There definetely IS a water pump housing and shaft there, but IS THERE AN IMPELLER on the shaft? Since the "city water" is supposed to be low pressure, is that all that pushes fluid through the system? How can I tell without disassembling something?

I just need enough liquid in the cooling circuit so I can run the block sealer through. If it seals the crack, fine. If not, replace engine. And THEN build a proper heat exchanger that allows for anti freeze in the engine.

And, finally, does anybody have a shell and tube heat exchanger for a setup of the size that they'd like to get rid of?

BTW, it runs great, sounds strong and makes power. 238 hours.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 04:02:17 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: 30EK city water model, does it have a water pump impeller?

Had an external crack in my Mercruiser 165 (Chevy straight 6 engine) (freeze damage). Shack's Welding Service here in Jackson, MS welded it with cast-iron rod - never leaked since then. Block sealer may work fine; if not, you may can find someone in your area with the expertise to weld it.
Dave Edmonds
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 30EK city water model water pump impeller?

Hope you got the whole system. City water cooled units were usually installed in basements of buildings. Feed water to it with hose connected to the input,but do not recirculate it. Most of the installations I have seen let the out water run into the floor drain. The exchanger had a temp valve on it that opened up and let the water flow when the engine reached the correct temperature. Wish I hadn't scrapped out an exchanger I replaced about five years ago. Posts some pics and lets see what you have and don't have.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40:14 AM
Registered-II

No, I didn't get the whole system. This one must have had no heat exchanger at all.
The attached picture shows all there is, but I can take close ups if anyone needs more.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------Click image for larger version

Name:	30EKFirstCoolingSystemSm.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	107389
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34:06 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

Are not many of the "City Water Cooled" Engine Blocks RUSTED out from the inside, There for the BLOCKS AND HEADS are VERY THIN, because there was no rust inhibitor in the water? I think you would be better off to find a 300 Ford Long Block or just a usable block and head than trying to repair the crack.
I you have a local Machine Shop with a Sonic Block tester you could check the thickness of you block.

Kent
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11:14 AM
Registered-II

Today I used my home made heat exchanger to put the block sealer in. The heat exchanger is a 5 gallon pail with 50 feet of garden hose coiled in it, with well water going through that hose. I used a small 120 volt pump to circulate engine water/block sealer past the coils. I could hold a block temp of about 150 degrees with the engine at idle using this system. The block did quit leaking. I have to wait 24 hours for the sealer to cure after draining everything. If it really does seal up, I will go ahead and clean/rough up the outside of the cracked area and seal the outside with JB Weld as others have done. This block didn't look too rusted up. The genset has only 238 hours on it.
I am attaching a picture of my hokey heat exchanger setup.Click image for larger version

Name:	30EKThursRear1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	107451
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42:42 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

Yes, 238 hours is not much run time BUT Rust happens whether the engine is running or not. With no Rust inhibitors in the cooling system Rust runs 24/7/365. When was this generator built?

Kent
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41:23 PM
Registered-II

I am with the other guys in you need to set up the cooling system in a closed loop. either by using a heat exchanger or by going to your local wrecking yard and getting a small car radiator, and fan (if your system starts on 12 volts.)
Or you can use a 120 volt fan like I did. Depends on where you intend to set up your rig. I have a heat exchanger off my MDJF 4 cylinder diesel that I am not using . Though it may be a little small for a 30 EK engine. Mine is 15kw.
That way you can use a good antifreeze to protect the engine, and can run a little block sealer in the coolant.. Doesn't sound to me like it's broke enough to fix by replacing the block. Good luck
Old 05-27-2011, 03:08:21 PM
Registered-II

I'm on your side on this issue. I fully plan to use a heat exchanger so I can use antifreeze in the engine. Car radiator for temporary is possible, too.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36:49 PM
Registered-II

Pete,

I am doing the same thing... Taking a Municipal cooled and making it radiator cooled.

As for the block cracks, I had the same issue... I replaced the block.
See here:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84205

Anyway, I am putting a radiator on mine so I can eliminate some of the issues with muni-cooling.

I have the rad frame built, but waiting on some other parts to be worked on o I can paint it all.

If you are interested, let me know and I will snap some pics if you need them

r/

Eric