Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Single Coil Magneto Magnet Charger

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 2746 times

Old 08-20-2018, 09:49:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Single Coil Magneto Magnet Charger

I have designed and built a single coil magneto magnet charger that is compact and powerful. It uses a single horizontal coil consisting of 160 turns of 12 gauge wire. It is powered by a 12v car battery and draws about 100 amps during the charge pulse. It weighs 15 lbs and is 8” tall. It is controlled by an ignition key switch witch activates a starter solenoid for the current pulse. The top armature pads can be adjusted from 5/16” to 4” gap, as well as set at angles.
The horizontal single coil design makes it compact, easier to build, and reduces the magnetic flux path length compared to the more common two vertical coil design. It has worked very well. I can post performance measurements and construction details if people are interested. Comments and suggestions much appreciated. Thanks, Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	316760   Click image for larger version

Name:	M6.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	316761   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC4.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	316762   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC5.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	316763  

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Single Coil Magneto Magnet Charger

Robert, I would like to see the measurements and the construction details so I can build me one of these chargers. Thank you and have a nice day. Joe A.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30:19 AM
Subscriber

I also would like the details so I can build one.

Thanks
Bruce VB
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39:50 AM
Subscriber

Cool design Robert. Did you use magnet wire for the coil? I too would be very interested in the details of how you made it. I've always wanted to make one, but the cost of magnet wire for 2 coils was out of my reach. And when you do see a used charger for sale, they are very expensive. Thanks for sharing !!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11:14 AM
Subscriber

Thank you Boris, very nice … I like it ! Looks like you used regular insulated 12 ga wire, like the THHN that has a thinner plastic insulation, yes? If so, do you think that this wire impedes the magnetic field build ? The THHN sure is easier to come by than the enameled wire... I have a big coil and had been considering using it for a charger.

Joe B
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,078 Times in 507 Posts

Boris Congrats it is very well done. My American Bosch magnet charger is built the same way. Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02880.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	316815  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 11:57:55 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I have designed and built a single coil magneto magnet charger that is compact and powerful. It uses a single horizontal coil consisting of 160 turns of 12 gauge wire. It is powered by a 12v car battery and draws about 100 amps during the charge pulse. It weighs 15 lbs and is 8” tall. It is controlled by an ignition key switch witch activates a starter solenoid for the current pulse. The top armature pads can be adjusted from 5/16” to 4” gap, as well as set at angles.
The horizontal single coil design makes it compact, easier to build, and reduces the magnetic flux path length compared to the more common two vertical coil design. It has worked very well. I can post performance measurements and construction details if people are interested. Comments and suggestions much appreciated. Thanks, Robert
construction details please. thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 02:58:02 PM
Subscriber

The coil core used in this charger is a 1” x 4” mild steel rod. The side and top armature pieces are 1 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 3” iron blocks. The 2 flux conductor blocks are also the same size. I ordered the 6 blocks precut from a local metal supply company. I flew cut the mating surfaces of the blocks with my mini-mill for a close fit but the blocks from the supplier came cut quite square. A good filling to smooth them out would be sufficient. Everything is bolted together using 10-32 flat head screws. This minimizes the removal of metal in the flux path. The armature assy is screwed to a 1/4” aluminum plate 6” x 8”. An aluminum 3 x 5 x 7” box encloses the circuit below. I plan to add a wood base.

The core is wound with about 60 ft of 12 gauge solid THHN building wire. A 100 ft spool can be purchased at your local hardware store for around $25; no need to use expensive hard to find magnet wire. I used my mini-lathe to hold the assembly while I hand wound it; took me about a 1/2 hr. A second person could be used instead of a lathe. The wire was stripped bare for the first 2-3 turns of the coil to provide the ground connection for the beginning of the winding. No insulation was needed around the core rod or sides; the wire insulation is rated at 600V. 5 layers were wound.

The circuit is built with a generic remote mount starter solenoid and garden tractor 3 position ignition key switch. A 4 guage jumper cable set provides the power connection to a standard car battery which almost everyone has (just pop the hood and connect it). The ground connection of the cable is bolted to the al plate underneath. The + cable is connected to one side of the solenoid; the other side of the solenoid is connected to the end of the coil winding wire from the top layer. The ignition switch is hooked up to the solenoid in the standard way. 2 LED lights were used for indicators. No diodes are used to suppress induced reverse currents and so far haven’t had any trouble with that.

Before use you need to determine the polarity of the top armature pads. Use a compass about 6” away and pulse the unit to see what the polarity is and mark it. Adjust the top pads to accommodate your magneto and arrange the flux blocks if needed. Search the web to see how your magneto is charged. Activate the charger with the key switch for no more then 1 second per pulse. I use three pulses. The coil will get warm but not hot. Never hold the key on for more then a few seconds. Its frequently stated that a keeper must be installed after charging a bare magnet. I have found that it is not necessary. You can’t do that anyway when you charge up a complete magneto.

Hope this helps. So far I’ve pulsed it over 100 time with good results and no problems. I have done some performance tests that I will post later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MC rear.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	316837   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC inside.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	316838   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC winding.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	316839  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boris For This Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 12:41:37 AM
Registered-III

G'Day Boris, thank you for sharing this great design for a magneto charger. I now have to ask some silly questions, sorry!
1 - Is 'Iron' the same as "mild steel' ?
Just so when I go to the metal supplier I look as silly as I am.
2 - You mentioned that you stripped the insulation off the wire for the first 3 layers, but you pic of it in the lathe does not show that just insulated wire. Is the bare wire under a cover?
3 - I can almost figure out in my head your wiring but I'm not sure where the second end of the coil wire is connected. Do you have a schematic diagram please that also identifies the positions on the solenoid?

Sorry to annoy you with these questions but this looks like a project I need to do.
Cheers Cobba. (John).
Old 08-24-2018, 06:49:30 PM
Subscriber

I love silly questions!
My metal supplier had 1 1/4 " cast iron bar stock which is what I used. I have since found out that wrought iron is better for magnetic applications, and mild steel is better yet (and easier to work with). So try to find mild, low carbon steel for the armature structure around 1" thick. Thick armature structure conducts the magnetic flux better.

Look at the left hand side of the core rod in the lathe pic. You will see at least one bare winding. I drilled a small hole 1/4" deep on the inside of the armature just above the core rod. I then stuck the bare end of the wire into it, bent it over, and started the winding. The back side pic of the charger shows on the right the other end of the 12 guage wire passing through the side armature and passing down through the aluminum base plate which is then connected to the solenoid.

The starter solenoid you get should have two large high current connections and two smaller connections to activate the internal solenoid switch. If you look at the wiring pic on the left side you will see the red wire from the coil connected to the top large bolt on the solenoid. The bottom large bolt is connected to the red + of the battery jumper cable.
I will try to draw up a schematic of the charger and post it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boris For This Post: