Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Sandblasting... Pressurized Pot or Not?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4528 times

Old 07-14-2009, 02:42:43 PM
Registered

Question Sandblasting... Pressurized Pot or Not?

Looking to get a pot blaster and not concerned too much about the sand capacity. Which is better, pressurized pot or not? I've never used one.

TIA,
RickinMt.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sandblasting..pressurized pot or not?

I use a syphon type and like it. My friend has a pressure tank type from Grainger and the elbow at the bottom and the valve at the nozzle would wear out or get eat through pretty quick. I dont know if that is common but he had put 3 90 deg elbows in the tank bottom in 3 months with moderate use.
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Wade7 For This Post:
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,727 Times in 1,710 Posts

Rick, it all depends on how much blasting you plan to do. If you just do an occasional part or piece, siphon will be OK. If you're going to do a considerable amount, then pressure is best. I've got both kinds. If I'm just going to do a rust spot on a pickup quarter, I'll use the siphon. If I'm going to do an engine base, cylinder, flywheels, etc., I'll use the pressure. The pressure blaster is a lot faster as it will put out a lot more aggregate for the amount of air used. For a siphon blaster the key I have found is to make sure the sand is dry so it will free flow. A test I use for the white silica sand I blast with is to squeeze a handful of it and then turn your hand vertical to the ground. If its good and dry, you can't squeeze it tight enough to hold it and it will all run out.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:42:23 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,494 Times in 965 Posts

if you are wearing out hoses, valves, elbows on your sandblaster, your nozzle is worn oversize. the hole normally starts out about 1/8 inch, and by the time it's 1/4 inch, it's junk. i've seen people try to force it, by the time it gets to 3/8ths or so, it can suck a huge compressor dry in no time.

Robert
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36:15 AM
Registered

I've had an old Harbor Freight one for years and could never get it to work right. Friend of mine picked up a deadman nozzle so will try it today. What inlet pressure are you guys running? I assume the bottom valve on the tank is for adjusting the flow rate of the media.

Again thanks guys
RickinMt.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

I have a Pressurized model... Hold up to 250 Pounds I believe. Never replaced any pipes or elbows yet. It has a gate valve to regulate sand flow and that gets kinda sticky due to the abrasive nature of the sand....

I start with a 1/4 inch Nozzle and when they get to 5/16 I toss them... I've used both silica and the Black stuff with Good results. I have a 125 CFM Schramm Pneumatractor so have plenty of air. I like to run about 110 PSI at the compressor. The compressor will throttle back and the unloaders cycle off and on when blasting...

I used to have a Siphon feed I Tried use with my shop compressor but never could get much done with that... Just didn't have enough air for constant operation and when the pressure got below about 70 PSI all you were doing is elevating sand.. It was OK if you had less than a square foot to blast...

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 07-17-2009 at 11:29:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Majeski For This Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 06:46:57 PM
Registered

I made a pressure pot sandblaster from an old stainless ink tank,it has a manufacturer's tag on it rated pressure is 250psi..I installed a 100psi safety popoff valve on it..found that running a tank pressure of 80psi is all it needs,any more and the sand is not cutting as well and is a waste. I have a 1/8"nozzle on it,and running a 15ft length of 1/2" 2-wire hydraulic hose as the lead..runs good with a 5HP 2-stage IR type 30 compressor and 80gallon air reciever.It holds about 150lbs of sand,or two bags of play sand..I filter it thru a section of window screen when loading the pot.The lower sand valve is run with a linkage to a lever on top of the pot,it allows me to run the sand blast hose empty before shutting down,and easy to regulate the flow of sand when operating..gives me about 30minutes of blasting..which is all the time I can take wearing a respirator under the hood anyway. FWIW.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:05:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,193 Posts

What ever you buy, pressurized is best, order a couple extra nozzles for it or get them with the purchase. Yes, the fittings some times wear out as well as the valves but they are a common hardware item. I can only get what the hardware stores call "Play Sand" It's fine but contains small rocks. I've got a short drum I put a screen over and tie it real good alongside the outside of the drum and filter the sand through it, there by removing the small rocks that will clog up a 1/4" nozzle. Works good.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,635 Times in 2,541 Posts
Default Re: Sandblasting... Pressurized Pot or Not?

A blast cabinet with glass beads works best, maybe you can find one used? On the other hand, the pot blaster can do big things outside. I have found that the ceramic nozzles last longest.

https://www.old-engine.com/abrasive.shtml

Water Separator
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 11:04:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,608 Times in 762 Posts

I've had better luck with the siphon system myself. I've got one of the small HF pressure pots and never could get it to work right.

The glass bead cabinet is ok but it gets cloudy and I cant see what I'm doing. Blasting by feel sometimes.

Around here the humidity kills the blast sand pretty quickly. if your running the compressor hard you'll need a dryer of some sort. once it starts spitting water out the nozzle its game over.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 08:12:14 AM
Subscriber

Pressurized pot and tungsten carbide nozzle. But I was in the business.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:43:23 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,107 Times in 736 Posts

If you want to get into media blasting you better have a large budget, a big compressor and time to research how to operate a blaster safely. There is no such thing as a good siphon feed blaster. Pressure pots are the way to go, but they are not all equal. If you are not looking into a Clemco you should be. You can rebuild an old one and have one hell of a system, as long as you have a suit, Apollo 600 helmet, gloves, respirator, particulate filter, CO detector, air drier and did I mention a huge compressor. I have a small Clemco blast pot, it works fantastic. I had a cheap ALC pressure blaster for a short period of time, it was a total joke of a machine. All of the valves, fittings, deadman all failed very quickly. Once you use an industrial Clemco there is no turning back. You will be safer, more productive and far more comfortable. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on every component. Cheap media like sand is a big no-no! Military grade Zero aluminum oxide, or glass beads are great reusable media's. If you run a boron carbide nozzle, it will last a lifetime for hobbyist use. I have a 68cfm compressor and wish I had more. If only single phase power could handle dual 15 horsepower compressors. You should look up all of the blast shops in your area. There has to be an olde time shop in your area that can help you out.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 08:14:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
If only single phase power could handle dual 15 horsepower compressors.
If you have enough of a service panel, and you are willing to spend some money on the motors, then you can have the monster compressor. Look up "written pole" motors, you can get over 100 HP on single phase! Written pole motors start with less than 2 x the running amps.

Here's a link --> https://singlephasepowersolutions.com/

I have no idea what they cost, though...

Kevin
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32:31 PM
Subscriber

This is what I used
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	310231  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:55:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,998 Posts

I have a cheap bucket blaster, and a cheap pressure pot.
Both will make you cuss, clog and make you cuss. Oh and did I say they would make you cuss?
What helped my situation was the better Quincy Q5 air compressor with 60 gallon tank i got when i built the shop.
Which reminds me I need to change oil in it again. But I can use it with the pressure pot for a while not hurt anything.I don't run steady for more than about 15 minutes with either of the 2 rigs. I let the compressor cool down.and myself!
I also have a large and small blasting cabinet.Nothing fancy,small 1 for glass bead,bigger 1 with some kind of garnet stuff I am trying.So far it works better than that black stuff I was using.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:41:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,031 Posts

We sandblast here at work frequently, I agree on replacing the nozzles, we have a pressure tank. If you are fighting moisture in the air, use another tank in between the compressor and tank and the sandblast tank .
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33:12 PM
Registered

I agree that the pressure pot is the way to go. And also that Clemco is probably as good as anything you are going to find. But there are far more economical solutions out there. I have used for many years a Lindsay 100lb pressure pot that was old when I bought it back in the late 70's. It's been a good unit and has blasted its share of tractors and equipment while I have owned it. I feed it with a Chicago Pneumatic 250 cfm two stage vane compressor with a Hercules G3400 engine. It's overkill but I am never short of air and the big Hercules purrs happily away all day long, slurping appalling amounts of gasoline as it does.

I also have a little pressure pot blaster I use here at home with my 5HP Devilbiss compressor. I didn't really need it but it was only $25 and it looked well built so what the heck. And how that I have it I find it is all but indispensable.This outfit clearly is not up to anything big but it does a great job on stuff like automotive wheels, sheet metal, etc. And it sure is convenient. I had an ALC siphon blaster and it was better than nothing I suppose but I gave it away when I got the smaller pressure pot. Both the Lindsay and the little one are American made and have real mixing valves not something cobbled together out of plumbing parts. This may contribute to their good performance and I would recommend staying away from offshore stuff or things that look home made (regardless if they were commercially built or not).

Moisture will always be an issue unless it is Arizona dry out. But the solution can be simple, or at least is is for me. Buy an in line water separator and put it... in line. The air flow to the blaster will be too much for the separator to handle so open the drain valve on the bottom a bit and leave it open while you are blasting. This has worked for me on all but the soggiest of days, when you probably oughtn't be blasting anyway.