Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU7000is Propane Conversion?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 7561 times

Old 08-08-2016, 03:07:46 PM
Registered

Default Honda EU7000is Propane Conversion?

Anybody here converted an EU7000is to propane or LNG?

Or, do you know of anyone who has?

Any/all tips or help are greatly appreciated.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 04:59:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,327 Posts
Default Re: Honda EU7000is Propane Conversion?

They have snorkel kits on the web. Basically a demand reg, throttling mix valve "load block", and a snorkel you fit between carb intake and filter. The other guys are more familar with manufactures and model numbers of the kits. When on vapor fuel you wire the choke open.

Other possibility is drilling the carb instead of a snorkel, but that's tricky.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51:15 PM
Subscriber

It wouldnt be hard to do. The snorkel is the most preferred. Talk to Hue at USCarb, even though they are a Yamaha dealer, they make kits for all makes.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40:28 PM
Registered

These guys did. http://www.centralmainediesel.com/or...000iS_Tri_Fuel
Old 08-09-2016, 03:33:09 PM
Registered

Clarification:

Some of Honda's engineering team from Japan will be over here on a routine survey visit, and they'd like to meet / interview Honda EU6500is or EU7000is owner's with a propane-converted unit.

So if anyone knows of a person or firm with a converted unit...let me know.

Thanks guys.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Old 08-09-2016, 07:04:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertathonda View Post
Clarification:

Some of Honda's engineering team from Japan will be over here on a routine survey visit, and they'd like to meet / interview Honda EU6500is or EU7000is owner's with a propane-converted unit.

So if anyone knows of a person or firm with a converted unit...let me know.

Thanks guys.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Robert. put in word for me with them. Tell them we need a fuel injected EU10,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
Robert. put in word for me with them. Tell them we need a fuel injected EU12,000
Old 02-14-2017, 02:20:27 PM
Registered

I've been looking at buying the Genconnex conversion for the EU7000is... at $699. it looks a bit pricey, but would be interested if anyone has used it. Bought the propane tank, so now looking for the best conversion choice.

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...opane_kits.htm
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54:01 AM
Registered

Quote:
Some of Honda's engineering team....(would) like to meet / interview Honda EU6500is or EU7000is owner's with a propane-converted unit.
Robert, any update on this research? Any modification related compromised engines found? Burnt exhaust valves or guides?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant View Post
Robert, any update on this research? Any modification related compromised engines found? Burnt exhaust valves or guides?
Nothing has come up since the initial request. Not heard anything from our planning team.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Old 12-06-2017, 11:26:35 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,023 Times in 718 Posts

Robert,

I missed this thread.

I have a long time off grid customer whose Onan NHD dropped a valve seat about a year ago.

Using it for off grid charging.

I tried to convince her to get a 4 cylinder liquid cooled unit of some kind but she really wanted an EU7000 so she got one of the pre converted ones.

I have not heard another word about it so I assume it is working fine. She would call me if it wasn't, for sure.

It is really a terrible choice for off-grid because of low oil capacity, no filter, and the fact that long sustained loads have it revved up to nearly max for hours at a time. But they seem tough. There is no difficulty starting near as I can tell and it lives down in a high elevation, dark, cold, wet canyon.

I have another, older, EU6500 on my junk pile that made it about 4000 hours in this service before croaking. It was replaced with a liquid cooled 1800 unit. Its cylinder wall was like a mirror and the head had visible cracks radiating from the spark plug hole. The major cause of stoppage was a blown head gasket. Its maintenance schedule was terrible and I think it gave great service, for what it is.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:55:21 PM
Registered

We have had this generator for nearly 2 years and it has worked flawlessly. Has nearly 1000 hours on it now. Checked and adjusted valves at 500 hours as per manual. Ran over 20 hours on a tank of gas. At 500 hours we have converted it to propane (GenConnex), and it works very well on propane from our 1000 gallon tank. Starts remotely without a problem...sometimes takes a second try if it has been sitting for a couple of weeks...never have had to use the built in priming knob that comes with the propane conversion. Since we are at 4600 ft ASL GenConnex had sent a high altitude orifice. We had to adjust the orifice size to get the generator to run smoothly at all loads, as per some discussions with GenConnex, and it has run perfectly since.
We paralleled a second deep cycle car battery and 20 watt solar panel to keep the battery topped up, and this has worked well. Also home build remote control beside generator, with two remote switches at about 250 feet and 500 feet from generator interconnected with ethernet cable. Had to add a couple of 12 volt relays as the remote control circuit that is in the Honda manual requires that the ignition be on, and therefore drains the battery. In our installation, it can be weeks or months between uses, so that was not acceptable. To prevent someone leaving the generator running for days or weeks, have installed a 5 hour timer to stop the generator.
Used a homemade heat baffle to exhaust heat through the wall, and extended exhaust through a car muffler, unit is super quiet in it's metal shed in the bush. Can't even hear it more than 100 feet away. And as noted elsewhere, only a tap on the start button is needed, and it gives an automagic 4 second start sequence. Also welded a washer on the door latch to check/change the oil so you don't need a screwdriver or coin to open it.
The Honda service manual (Ebay) on this unit is very detailed and has great descriptions of how to do any sort of maintenance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darwould For This Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 07:30:26 PM
Registered

Quote:

- - -
Robert@Honda
Honda is big company and should be able to do this themselves.....
I am reminded of watching some Nissan engineers in the 90s that wanted to know what I was doing but were quick to remind me they were Nissan and I was an employee.

Now I think about helping another Japaneses company that does not owe me anything asking what I think I and I not sure I want to share my ideas for free again.

Remember Rob you work for Honda but you are not Honda when it comes to loyalty or who owns your intellectual property those folks on the other side of the pond might have different ideas.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:55:51 PM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,000 Times in 637 Posts

The EU7000is is powered by a GX390 engine.
Propanecarbs.com has the GX390 conversion kit for low pressure propane and natural gas, as well as a high pressure vapor and tri-fuel kit shown at:

https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-t...rsion-kit.html

That being said, I have not purchased any of their kits, I HAVE purchased individual components, and they were always friendly on the phone, accurate in their product offering, price very reasonable, and very reliable in fulfilling my orders rapidly. I'm certain there are others, but I haven't any experience with them.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:03:09 PM
Registered

Birken, not suggesting it is ideal, and might benefit from abuse/impact guards, but you prompted me to picture a tube coming out the side of the oil drain hole connecting to a larger reservoir?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:20:12 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
The EU7000is is powered by a GX390 engine.
The engine is a specially muilt fuel injected variant. it may be mechanically similar to a GX390 aside from the fuel injection system but it is that system that makes conversion difficult.

the issue is the EU7000 being fuel injected, which inherantly makes conversion to gaseous fuel more difficult. That being said, theoretically it can be done but would require a lot of modification. essentially building a miniaturized version of the fuel delivery system used by many modders to build turbines out of turbochargers (I've seen them run on Acetylene, LP or NG) sorry I dont have the links handy but you can find videos on youtube. not really something I'm into.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but I never really messed with gaseous fueled engines. just too much added hassle, special oil, etc. most I ever did was hillbilly-hack run a 4hp briggs/might e lite on acetylene ducttaping hose into carb. (just a test to finish emptying a cylinder prior to refilling. it ran poorly, smoked like a worn out diesel, but it ran and made power) I assume my rigging was similar to the snorkel type kits mentioned previously, although most certainly better designed. (dont try that with modern-or any- high compression engines. Acetylene is a very poor motor fuel and dangerous to use as such due to its tendancy to ignite spontaneously above 23 psi. the old briggs was a low compression engine and it still ran poorly).

as for the idea, personally I like that the EU7000 is purely a gasoline unit. tri-fuel units have a lot more that can go wrong. I think the best option would be to design a LP version as a separate sub-model, such as EU7000LP, and keep the standard EU7000is as purely a gasoline model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
Robert,

I have another, older, EU6500 on my junk pile that made it about 4000 hours in this service before croaking. It was replaced with a liquid cooled 1800 unit. Its cylinder wall was like a mirror and the head had visible cracks radiating from the spark plug hole. The major cause of stoppage was a blown head gasket. Its maintenance schedule was terrible and I think it gave great service, for what it is.

the poor maintenence being the reason for early failure no doubt. posting this powered by an EM6500 that has well over 10k hours on it (off gridder here) and still running strong (regular maintenence performed as per the user and shop manuals) it has new rocker arms in it, but everything else besides spark plug is original).
Old 08-23-2019, 01:42:24 PM
Registered

Quote:

- - -
Robert@Honda
What is the latest on this? Does Honda approve the use of propane on a EU7000is?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:46:21 PM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,000 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Dawn View Post
...the issue is the EU7000 being fuel injected, which inherantly makes conversion to gaseous fuel more difficult. That being said, theoretically it can be done but would require a lot of modification. essentially building a miniaturized version of the fuel delivery system ...Sorry I cant be of more help, but I never really messed with gaseous fueled engines. just too much added hassle, special oil, etc.
Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

I HAVE worked with tri-fuel systems into everything from weed trimmers to stationary locomotive-size engines... and they're very simple in operation... the presence of electronic fuel injection has NO bearing on multifuel operation whatsoever... if it has a throttle plate, it can run on gaseous fuel with nothing more than a piece of copper tubing connected to a demand regulator.

What the heck do you mean 'special oil'? There's no special oil required... matter of fact, ANY oil you run in a propane or NG engine is going to last a whole heckuva lot longer than it would on liquid. Come pull the dipsticks on my big Consec, and my two Kohlers... heck... pull the spark plugs and shove a borescope in for a look, and you'll see why... they're absoultely spotless...

Yeah, there's generators out there that are naturally easier to convert, but there's several hundred thousand floor scrubbers, probably just as many power trowels motivated by propane-breathing GX390's.

OP didn't say anything about tri-fuel... if he wants to run a 7000IS on C3H8, disconnect the injector from the throttle body, stick an inlet venturi between the flange and air filter, and you're done.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:23:42 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,023 Times in 718 Posts

These guys

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/hond...generators.htm

and maybe more are professionally converting them and they seem to work fine.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:27:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
What is the latest on this? Does Honda approve the use of propane on a EU7000is?
No input from Robert? What did Honda decide?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52:27 AM
Subscriber

johndeerefarmer,

No idea what Honda decided but robertathonda has retired.

Jerry