Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Which Oil to use for EU7000IS

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 4316 times

Old 04-10-2018, 03:37:05 PM
Registered

Default Which Oil to use for EU7000IS

I'm located in climate zone 5 where our temperatures range from -10F to 100F. I'm a little confused as to which oil I should run year round. My intentions were to use the Honda Power Equipment oil which is designed for small engines however, it is not synthetic. Does that impact the temperature range that this oil is good in? Am I better off running Honda non-synthetic 5w30 year round?

Also, should I switch to synthetic after the first oil change or is it better to just stick with the Honda 4cycle oil?

I understand that using 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer is ideal but it's not practical for an item that gets used infrequently and needs to be ready at a moments notice.

The generator is stored in my garage that stays around 40F but I'm assuming that may be irrelevant if it was outside for a few minutes before starting in sub-zero weather or when doing an oil change. The generator dealer I purchased from recommended 5w30 for year round use but I'm concerned about it being inadequate for the hotter months when it easily pushes up over 90.

I appreciate the information!

Last edited by GeneratorNewb; 04-10-2018 at 04:26:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,045 Posts
Default Re: Which oil to use for EU7000IS.

At operating temperature 5W-30 and 10W-30 are both the same at 30 weight.

If stored at 40 or above, I'd think you can use that as your minimum temperature, since it won't be outside in the cold very long before it is started.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:06:42 PM
Registered

Is there any real downside to using 5w30 over 10w30? I'm sure there will be periods of time where inlet the generator cool and give it a rest so I probably shouldn't rely on the 40F figure to always be the lower limit.

Last edited by GeneratorNewb; 04-10-2018 at 06:41:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:19:51 PM
Registered

If I were using a generator in freezing weather, I would only shut it down to refuel and to check the oil. It is easier on the engine to get it to operating temperature and leave there as all of the clearances of the engine are where they were designed for. I would probably lean towards the 5w30 as it would be easier to start if it did see colder that 40F for an extend time.

David C
Old 04-11-2018, 01:06:28 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Which Oil to use for EU7000IS

/\ I concur completely with the above.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:39:15 AM
Registered

In your opinion, it's safe to use non-conventional 5w30 for 0-100 degrees F? I'm trying to make it past the first 3 oil changes so I can switch over to Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 which I understand has a much wider temperature range.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:33:34 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorNewb View Post
In your opinion, it's safe to use non-conventional 5w30 for 0-100 degrees F? I'm trying to make it past the first 3 oil changes so I can switch over to Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 which I understand has a much wider temperature range.
This is just my opinion. I look at it this way. Its only one quart of oil. If I lived in a place where the temp got as cold as yours in the winter I would run 5W30 in the winter than change over to 10W30 in the spring. After 6 months oil gets moisture in it. I would change it regardless if it has low hours. Again its only 1 quart. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-11-2018, 11:28:24 AM
Registered

I definitely understand that that's ideal to cover my ass, but if you were to only do it annually, would 5w30 Dino oil be sufficient? It appears to me that Mobil 1 5w30 has a very large operating range and can easily be used I'm ambient temperatures from - 20 to 100 but I'm more concerned about the proper oil weight to use on Dino oil for the breaking in period.

I was thinking 10w30 would probably be best for the first 2-3 oil changes as it appears to have the broadest range of temperatures and the generator is being stored in a garage that doesn't go below 40 degrees. Please correct me if there's anything wrong with this logic. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,956 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
I was thinking 10w30 would probably be best for the first 2-3 oil changes as it appears to have the broadest range of temperatures and the generator is being stored in a garage that doesn't go below 40 degrees. Please correct me if there's anything wrong with this logic. Thank you!
At 40F on a new engine, no worries about 10W30, or 5W30 for that matter. Just to say you dotted i's and crossed t's: if the manual calls for 10W30 use that for break in; if it says 5W30, you're fine with that. As noted somewhere above, once at operating temperature they're the same rating.

I don't know what Honda says about synthetics, but if you're looking at yearly oil change, and best temperature flexibility that'd be my long term choice after break-in. However except for one vehicle - which I like extending change frequency, and a lawn mower transmission pump - which likes a wide temperature range, I cannot claim any expertise on it. For that matter though, if you're doing yearly maintenance with oil change of any oil, you're probably treating it better than many units out there running with disregard bordering on abuse.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:26:10 PM
Registered

one thing's for certain, just running it a few minutes a couple times a year is just looking for trouble. you should run a full tank of gas through it at least twice a year bare minumum. have at least a 50% load connected during the run time, and disconnect just before you shut it down. change the oil afterwards.

I would strongly recommend doing this more frequently, say every three months, or better yet monthly, but even giving it a good run twice a year will help a great deal.

use good fresh ethanol-free gasoiline if you can find it. just because the fuel injection system is capable of burning e10 doesnt mean e10 is good for it. ethanol absorbs water, this is simple chemistry, and you do not want moisture left inside any engine simple as that.

as for 5w-30 vs 10w-30, that's largely a matter of personal preference, though 10w-30 may be a little cheaper in some stores.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:46:48 PM
Subscriber

I'm not sure how the fuel injection might be, but my small engines sit dormant sometimes for years. I run the carb dry and drain the fuel tank, leaving the cap loose.

I store gasoline for years too, in airtight steel Jerry cans with GOOD gaskets, and NO snake oil.

When I need them, I fill them with fuel and they start instantly.

I'm not sure you could get all the fuel out of the fuel injection system. I wonder if it would be better to store these FULL of fuel, (NOT laced with ethanol!) with an AIRTIGHT cap?

In the good old days, Hondas used to have vent valves on the fuel caps. They were airtight when closed. A very nice feature! Do they have those any more?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:57:25 PM
Registered

So I just purchased a few quarts of the Honda Power Equipment 5w30 oil to run year round.

I intend on starting it every 3 months and run it for about a half hr with a half load.

I will change the oil every 8 hrs or 1 year, whatever comes first.

After the unit has a total of 24 hrs on it, I will switch over to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30.

Does this seem like a prudent approach? Just sunk $4k into this generator so I don't want to screw anything up. The owner's manual doesn't make any specific reference to conventional vs synthetic oil.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:34:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
I'm not sure how the fuel injection might be, but my small engines sit dormant sometimes for years. I run the carb dry and drain the fuel tank, leaving the cap loose.

I store gasoline for years too, in airtight steel Jerry cans with GOOD gaskets, and NO snake oil.

When I need them, I fill them with fuel and they start instantly.

I'm not sure you could get all the fuel out of the fuel injection system. I wonder if it would be better to store these FULL of fuel, (NOT laced with ethanol!) with an AIRTIGHT cap?

In the good old days, Hondas used to have vent valves on the fuel caps. They were airtight when closed. A very nice feature! Do they have those any more?
I rotate my fuel every 6 months. I store 25 gallons in the winter and around 10 in the summer. I use the No spill cans. All my gas generators are stored dry.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49:36 PM
Subscriber

Re: synthetic vs not, synthetic does not always automatically mean superior.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Old 04-11-2018, 05:04:13 PM
Registered

I just always assumed that a 5w30 had a broader temperature range to operate in which made it preferable for climates that experience sub-freezing Temps. However I read a lot about 10w30 being preferable as it doesn't sheer down like a 5w30 may which makes the 10w30 perform better in Temps over 40.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,165 Posts

just for comparison sake the Japanese make pretty darn good stuff, I have a 1995 Suzuki atv that was one owner bought by my uncle new. it has been run with mobile 1 synthetic since the first oil change and has had some very hard mountain miles put on it, even rolled over a time or two! it has never been into but has had its oil changed regular and still runs just fine today. so I think you will be fine with any quality motor oil along with regular maintenance.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
So I just purchased a few quarts of the Honda Power Equipment 5w30 oil to run year round.

I intend on starting it every 3 months and run it for about a half hr with a half load.

I will change the oil every 8 hrs or 1 year, whatever comes first.

After the unit has a total of 24 hrs on it, I will switch over to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30.

Does this seem like a prudent approach? Just sunk $4k into this generator so I don't want to screw anything up. The owner's manual doesn't make any specific reference to conventional vs synthetic oil.
yes

every 3 months is good, but 30 minutes is not really enough runtime. at bare minimum I'd give it an hour to ensure all parts come up to temperature and stay there long enough to dry out any and all condensation/moisture.

also change the oil after the first run, then again in 24 hours. the first change removes most new engine metal shavings, so thay are not a potential source of damage during the rest of the break-in time.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14:29 PM
Registered

Interesting, I will definitely do that. How long do you recommend running it on the initial run?

Do you guys have any opinion on those oil suction pumps that suck the oil out from the dipstick hole? I feel like they're super convenient buy may not allow for a complete drainage.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17:18 PM
Registered

Use Shell Rotella T 10/30 summer and a T5 synthetic in winter.
Use turbo rated diesel oils.
In high heat or once the engine starts to show some wear 15/40 is a reasonable alternative.
You want a diesel additive package to deal with heat and hold the dirt in suspension.

Remove the intake valve oil seal.
Oil control on these engines is too good, that tinny big of oil you suck by will help control upper cylinder wear.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Interesting, I will definitely do that. How long do you recommend running it on the initial run?

Do you guys have any opinion on those oil suction pumps that suck the oil out from the dipstick hole? I feel like they're super convenient buy may not allow for a complete drainage.
for the first initial run, let it run 10 minutes or so with a light load, then apply 50% load and run for 1 to 2 hours. drain the oil and refill with new oil immediately after shutting it down. doing it with the engine hot will make the oil drain more thoroughly and remove more of the particles of metal.

Those pumps are for convenience only. there is no wa you can thoroughly change the oil using one of them. The only practical usefulness would be on an engine where the drain plug is rusted to the point removal is impossible.