Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)

A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 2686 times

Old 03-27-2019, 05:07:22 PM
Subscriber

Default A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

As I’ve mentioned, I’m trying to build a reasonable facsimile of a 1900-era lineshaft machine shop.
I have a lot to learn!
Recently, I found and purchased locally an ancient RUNNING Crescent band saw. I had to have it!
Think about it:
This poor machine had survived 100-120 years of use and abuse and numerous moves...
I found it, negotiated for it and purchased it.
Loaded and strapped
the biggish dude on my little flatbed...
Made it home through a minor squall...
Covered it up from rain that night in a big windstorm...
Fought with the wife over it...
JUST to dump it off my little forklift and break it in half the next day.

Please help me feel better...
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49D824FA-2579-40FF-B65B-F0C97551652E.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	331512  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2019, 06:13:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,998 Posts
Default Re: A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

Well, now is the time to do what would have been done back in the day when a man needed that tool running. Learn the welding process to put it back together.Sure,it won't be a cake walk, but it will be a learning experiance.No different than if it had broke 85 years ago and been welded back.Chances are if it ran you would have bought it with the weld there,maby cheaper of course but yet,it would be part of it's life history.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 09:27:20 PM
Registered

It's probably cast iron. Takes a fair amount of skill to weld.

Since you are already mentally involved with the machine, I'd take this picture to a local welding shop, tell 'em your story and see what they can offer. Do it right away! Get it fixed so fast that you don' t even have to lose any sleep over it. Then it will simply be a good story to tell over your favorite beverage with friends.
Remember, guys spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on fishing gear and boats, just to catch a few pounds of white meat.
So, what's wrong with spending a couple hundred bucks to save a piece of history.

been there, done that,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 11:18:32 PM
Subscriber

Hi Don,
Well you broke it you fix it!. If you can find a good Fusion welder that should be repairable and invisible after but check the wheels to make sure they are good yet. I don't think I would trust an arc weld there, it will need a jig to hold it plus a good preheat/slow cooling to prevent stress building up.
Good luck, Nathan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan K. For This Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:34:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,548 Times in 483 Posts

i too learned the hard way that steel on steel slides way too easy.
mine was with a Jensen walking beam water pump.
hit a dip in the yard, it fell, broke both cast iron arms.
i made a fixture for alignment, V-ed out the breaks and paid the man to weld em.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,988 Times in 1,751 Posts

I did that with an OLD 4' tall cast iron box stapler that had "character" and I had to have it. It fell over as I was taking it to the truck and broke off the stapler end, at the end . I still have it needing repair . That is if I can find the broken piece .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 06:53:48 AM
Registered

At least it's very fixable.
You should hear the sound when a piano flips out of a truck at 25 mph. I was helping a friend move an upright. Refused to strap it down, over it went.
The Following User Says Thank You to grub54891 For This Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 07:29:15 AM
Subscriber

I have broken a few pieces over the last 30 years and I can’t think of one instance where it wasn’t completely my fault... usually it was due to carelessness, being in a rush or trying to do a job by myself when it should be two or more men. I would be so mad and upset I could almost cry ...what I found is that even though one of my beloved toys was now broken, the fact that I was so mad was because I knew ahead of time what I was doing was either risky or not being done correctly. The whole mess could have been avoided. The piece of iron might be fixable or maybe not ...the money is gone and possibly wasted but the real value of something happening like this is you gained wisdom... you learned a lesson... next time the piece may be bigger, heavier , more expensive and this incident will hopefully make you take a step back and help you analyze what it is your not doing to securely move this piece of iron... who knows it may even save your life ... your bandsaw died so you could live?? We may never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Kulisiewicz For This Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 04:38:12 PM
Subscriber

Hilarious and true!

---------- Post added at 01:35:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34:28 PM ----------

I’m feeling better, thanks! Hilarious! I can hear the piano!

---------- Post added at 01:38:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35:34 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the thing shattered at the break point. I don’t have the skill to put the puzzle pieces back together. It wasn’t a clean break.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monsonmotors For This Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 09:52:58 PM
Registered

How are the wheels and guides? A friend gave me an ole broken Craftsman bandsaw. I salvaged the wheels and guides and plan to use then on a bandsaw sawmill. Don't scrap it!
Mike N.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikechoochoo For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 05:42:21 AM
Registered

I would not weld it if is cast iron. The cast is a whole lot different then what we have today. I would have it stitched back together. If done properly you won't be able to see the repair. Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34:31 AM
Subscriber

Don, don't beat yourself up so badly in this. We've all been there and done similar bungles in our lives. One of mine that I remember originated at Coolspring. I was at the swap meet and I saw a nice Meyers well pump jack for sale. It was complete but missing the front sump cover. I decided against it because we did not have a truck to bring it home. My wife kept bugging me to buy it but I was on the fence. The seller wasn't helping because he kept lowering the price. I finally gave in and the guy helped us put it in the trunk of our car. Later on, we left the show for home. It was at the end of the day and traffic was very busy. We are at the first traffic light in town trying to make a left turn to head to Rt-80. Before I can tell my wife to take the turn slowly, the light turns yellow and she sees her opportunity to make the turn so she whips the car right out there like a Nascar driver. I hear the pump jack tip over in the trunk and I tell her to pull over right away. Of course, there is no safe place to do that until about 1/4 mile down the road. We stop, open the trunk, and see black 90wt gear oil all over the trunk floor. It's running down onto the spare tire well. I am so mad now arguing with her about she should have listened to me and not bought the pump jack in the first place. We drove around until we found a Walmart and bought two rolls of paper towels and some 409. We spent a good hour in the Wally World parking lot cleaning up that smelly gooey mess. I think we filled an entire trash barrel with towels. When I got home I ended up having to take the car to an auto detailer to get the smell out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 09:21:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,998 Posts

When I was working for DOT 1 winter they had me out on US 74 in 2 countys inventorying the signs,as in size,age and type.
They put me in a Ford Taruas that was a SBI surpluss vehical.It was a SHO with the fast engine in plain clothes.
Well all went well till 1 day during my lunch break a friend gave me a 2 man post hole auger engine.I had NO idea it had that smelly,old gear oil in it. I found out when I dropped by the house to take it out.A nice puddle in the trunk carpet about the size of a paper towel. Never got the smell out of that car! Had to drive it another month or 2 and I just ran with the back windows down.Baking soda was no use,nothing worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,169 Posts

wonder what the detailer used to get rid of the smell. only thing i have found to work is throw whatever got gear oil on it in the trash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 10:57:25 AM
Subscriber

Ah yes, Eau de 90wt! A close second would be carb dip or burned auto trans fluid.
I worked at a auto trans rebuilder for years. I came home looking and smelling like a used Brillo Pad.
Great stories! I want to hear more, thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 03:41:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,202 Times in 892 Posts

My tale of woe beats yours ....

I got married ....... TWICE !

Sorry to hear of your luck ... bustin something old & cool really sucks.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:22:52 PM

Thanked 6,836 Times in 4,338 Posts
Thumbs down Re: A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

I bought a glass case that was from a local candy shop here in town, from a local auction house. i knew I could not bring it home in my IHC L-120 - the springing was too stiff. it would have never made it home. It was 5 feet tall, 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep. It had 4 full width shelves, mirrored sliding doors and a nice oak base, also with sliding doors. I asked my father in law, who was a mover in the 'old days' if I could use his chevy pick up. "No, I'll drive it" was hgis reply. We loaded it into his truck, and I wanted to lay it down, so it would not tip when making a turn. "NO, NO, NO, It will be just fine the way it is", was his reply. He tied it to the cab of the pick up, with a bit of rotten looking sash cord he had in the back of his truck. We made it 2 blocks, when he made a right turn and stepped on the gas. My wife was sitting next to me in my old L-120 and all she heard was Mother F-----er, G-- D--m SOB I told the old b-----d to lay it down and then KABOOM. The next thing we see was about 50 pounds of shattered glass, several large pieces of mirrored glass and wood splinters flying out the back of his truck. (tailgate was open). The entire case was totally destroyed. "Well, you didn't pay much for it nohow" was his comment, as I stared at the wreckage. No, I didn't pay much for it (20 bucks), but it was a piece of local history (over 150 years old), and it would have made a great display case for my model engines. We didn't talk for months. I found its twin at the same auction a year later, but that is another story initself (didn't learn the first time)
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 04:35:15 PM
Subscriber

Your story beats mine all to heck!
I’m feeling better all the time!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:46:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
wonder what the detailer used to get rid of the smell. only thing i have found to work is throw whatever got gear oil on it in the trash.
Is gear oil worse smelling then the gallon of milk my mother left in the trunk of her brand new Camry for a few weeks?

Old 03-29-2019, 05:10:25 PM

Thanked 6,836 Times in 4,338 Posts

Maybe. A friend and i had a contest on what smelled worse, and we thought it was a tie. Used fried rear end oil from a wasted Olds 88 rear end that belonged to his dad, and a quart of milk that was left in my back yard for about 2 months. When we pulled his dads rear apart, my 'friend' decided to toss some of that really smelly oil on my new shirt. I got pissed and went home for the quart of nasty milk, and tossed the plastic bottle in his garage. He was still under the car, along with his dad, and the sealed plastic jug exploded when it hit the rear bumper. i could smell it from 30 feet away! i can still hear the puking to this day! Took me about 2 weeks to get the smell of that nasty oil off my body, the shirt ended up in the trash. My mom took the call from an irate father, and mom told him "serves him right". I was told not to return, but had to go back about 2 weeks later and install the new rear in his dads car. Took several months to get the milk stink out of the garage. Not the first 'contest' we had, but was one of the most memorable!