Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

Antenna Question

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 1086 times

Old 05-28-2019, 11:01:20 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,030 Times in 723 Posts
Default Re: Antenna Question

Hard to imagine what could be wrong with a VHF transmit antenna that could not be fixed with a 4 hour service call by 1 or 2 guys. I suspect red tape may be involved here....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 12:18:41 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,634 Times in 705 Posts

Birken,
Following the NOAA link, the Hancock transmitter must either be on a tower badly strained by the ice storm or just a plain rotten tower. That'll take more than a 4 hour service call. I'm sure there is more than a little bureaucratic CYA going on that is stretching things out but it is also nothing to mess around with.

On another note, I don't know about the left coast but in the midwest tower crews are about as scarce as hen's teeth. Between the re-pack of broadcasters, the still wildly growing cellular industry and ever changing regulations & requirements any good crew is impossible to book and even less than great crews are very busy.

cornbinder,
That new Midland will be very easy to set up for tornado warning only but as you've said, you have to have a station to listen to. I hope they can get a crew in there soon...........PD
Old 11-01-2019, 08:33:53 PM
Registered

Well they finely got it back on line. I now have two good radios to pick it up with. I guess that because tornado season it over it was safe to climb the tower and fix it!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:37:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,494 Times in 965 Posts

If the tower was that bad, how hard would it be to slap a temp antenna on the roof of the building or a few feet up the tower?

My experience is that despite how 'important' you might think the weather radio stations are, is they are not treated that way.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:04:12 PM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,001 Times in 638 Posts

I'm fairly certain that NOAA had lost a transmitter/tower site, and had to relocate to a new facility opportunity. I'm certain that NOAA doesn't have their own tower for this site- they're leasing someone else's.

If you look closely, you'll see that Pottawattamie County's transmit site is south of Avoca and Walnut, Iowa, which is in the middle of a rapidly-expanding wind farm. As such, there's lots of building going on, and crane service for any sort of high-lift is insanely expensive, and LONG on scheduling. If they had to wait for some other tower to be built, or even if it was an existing tower and they were waiting for a crew, that's why it took 'so long'.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 12:21:27 AM
Registered

I'm in TN, out in the woods, but we're in a mountain cove where if the trees weren't blocking the view I'd be able to see the tower, the NOAA station antenna is only about 3 miles away across the valley. Before they put that one in, the closest was a good 40 miles away and a very weak signal. But not anymore. I use my HT to hear the weather, and it's really loud. N4ISF
Old 11-04-2019, 07:38:40 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,634 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbinder89 View Post
Well they finely got it back on line. I now have two good radios to pick it up with. I guess that because tornado season it over it was safe to climb the tower and fix it!
Glad to hear they finally got a "roundtuit".............PD