Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Hercules G1600

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 362 times

Old 10-31-2019, 06:00:46 PM
Registered

Default Hercules G1600

I built a standby generator a few years ago using a Hercules G1600 engine. I've been very pleased with everything, but this year is the first time it's had to run 24/7 for 2 days & I was a little surprised that it was 2 quarts low on oil at the end of the run.
After a little online searching I found an article about a G1600 gen-set in an oil-field & it said 1 qt per 24 hrs was normal, it also said after switching to synthetic oil it only used 1 qt per 48 hrs.
I was wanting to see if anyone here has experience with the G1600 & if that was inline with your experience?
By the way, it only had 160 hrs on it when I got it & it's got about 330 on it now.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,259 Posts
Default Re: Hercules G1600

Adding a quart of lube oil in 24 hours would not be an issue if I owned that set. I would be more concerned by having an operator who would run it for 48 continuous hours without checking the oil level.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:39:51 PM
Registered

I'm the homeowner/operator & unfortunately was out of town when this occurred, I did shut it down & check it asap, so lesson learned.
What about "By-pass" oil filtration, have you ever installed one of those systems?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:18:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,259 Posts

I have seen some of those systems, but for the average residential or light commercial standby set, it makes more sense to me to just change the oil and filter once a year and call it good. FWIW, all of my sets get a Baldwin or Wix filter and Rotella or Delvac 15w40, whichever is available at the best price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08:10 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,000 Times in 637 Posts

JW... for a 48 hour straight run, if it were in a truck, running down the highway at 65mph, and not stopping, would be 3120 miles... but unlike driving it in a truck, there would be no coasting downhill... it would be a constant load. I wouldn't expect many engines to make that length of a pull without using some oil, particularly if the engine was within a year or three of break-in.

The question, though, is... is it BURNING the oil, or is it simply losing it somehow?

I would be concerned about running it for extended hours unattended simply because running it out is a very bad thing...

But I can tell you that my Hercules JXLD consumes a quart or so for every 3-day run I put it through. My little Kohler L600 uses oil too... so I'm checking and adding... there's a case on the shelf next to the machines...

But note... the JXLD has a HUGE oil pan... 20 quarts... I almost have to take out an equity loan to give it an oil change... and with that volume, if it burns 4 quarts through a 5 day storm, it's hardly noticeable on the stick.

Now one thing you might wanna do, at next oil change... is remove the drain plug, and thread on a 90 degree elbow...

From this elbow, bring a pipe out to the most convenient service side, install a Tee, with the straight-through facing you. Install a quarter-turn ball valve on the pipe, and put a threaded plug in it. Install a barb fitting in the top-facing port, and in that, a piece of clear plastic tubing that goes up at least above the crankshaft line, and wrap up a cotton rag, stuff it in the hose, or as an alternate, run the hose all the way up to valve cover, and tap it in there. This gives you an old-fashioned sight-tube, which allows you to see the oil level easily, running, or not.

When you refill the engine oil, pour in a quart, walk away for about 10 minutes. When you come back, take a RED permanent marker, and mark the tube on the LEFT side, where the level of the oil stops. Add another quart, repeat.

Once you've added all the pan capacity, crank the engine to fill the oil filtration system, and put a BLUE mark on the RIGHT side of the tube.

Now add until you're at the level indicated by the dipstick. Run it, shut it down, let it settle a while, then check level again, and add a BLUE circle around the middle of where the oil level is. clean off the oil pan, put a black line on the pan where the full and good level SHOULD be.

After you've run it a bit, and lost a bit, place a piece of tape on the tube where the oil level appears, then add more, and double check... get a good, clear idea of where 'one quart low' mark will appear on that sight tube.

Why all the crazy red and blue marks? Because when the engine is RUNNING, there's oil up in the galleries, flowing through the valve cover, etc., and draining back down to the pain. The oil level in the PAN will be lower as a result. When the engine is stopped, the black lines and circle will suggest proper levels when stopped. The red lines (applied without oil in the filter) will provide a good reference of what the RUNNING engine's oil level really is!

With this in place, I can walk into my generator shed, and within two seconds, I know the oil level of all my engines.

I have also, on occasion, withdrawn the breather (rag) from the top of the sight tube, stuck a funnel on, and poured in a quart WHILE running. Some engines you can remove the filler to do that, but frequently, the crankcase breathing will be very offensive... the sight tube, however, blocks that.

Oil use isn't a bad thing, just as long as it's adequately replenished.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 07:06:50 PM
Registered

dkamp, Good info, thanks!
Have you had any experiences with or an opinion on the "By-pass" oil filtering systems?