Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Railroads and Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroads and Equipment Vintage Locomotives, Vintage Railroads and Cars, , Speeders, Equipment and Lore

Railroads and Equipment

4014 The Big Boy

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 489 times

Old 11-18-2019, 09:00:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,949 Times in 515 Posts
Default 4014 The Big Boy

The 4014 Big Boy crossing the bridge at Ft Gibson, Ok. Enjoy
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gary Bahre For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 09:10:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,992 Posts
Default Re: 4014 The Big Boy

NO caboose? WOW,I woulda thought that woulda been a no brainer with a Steam engine pulling?
Forgive my ignorance but is the desiel there just in case of a problem or? Also looked to be going kinda slow? I guess for photo graphs?
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 11:55:13 PM
Registered

blue, I heard the diesel is to help brake the train just incase...
The Following User Says Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:23:58 AM
Subscriber

Apparently it's there for dynamic braking. Also heard unsubstantiated rumor that when they want to put on a smoke show ( steam actually), they can use it for additional drag to make the big boy work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldtech For This Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 01:44:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,075 Times in 2,041 Posts

There were two diesels when I watched it on Cajon Pass, and they were pulling, though not in Run 8. That is a Heavy train! And it is my understanding that Big Boy is limited to something like 2/3 power burning oil instead of coal. No caboose on a passenger train. They have that beautiful observation car back there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 02:30:02 PM
Subscriber

Also looked to be going kinda slow? I guess for photo graphs?

I heard Ed (the engineer) doing an interview and he said most bridges and lots of other areas have posted speed limits. Thats probably why it seemed to be going slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 01:28:28 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,992 Times in 874 Posts

Going slow for several reasons.

1. They've had way too many close calls with BB 4014 and stupid people who want to stand on the tracks.

2. BB is operating off home territory. Some of these bridges are not really designed to support her massive weight. They crawl over them as to not shake the bridge apart.

3. BB has been fitted with 1 oil burner instead of the SP design of two burners to the fire box. She is limited to 2/3 her rated HP currently. SP 4-8-8-2 types had two burners.

4. Diesel is for dynamic braking, further assistance on hills. The diesel is fitted with the electronics to pick up the safety and signaling system signals that are fed from sensors along the track. PTC being the latest such setup. The steam locomotive is not currently fitted with this high tech gadgetry.

Robert

Last edited by Railroads; 11-27-2019 at 09:41:08 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:05:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,310 Times in 682 Posts

In addition to dynamic brakes and track safety equipment interactions, the diesel also helps stretch supplies of fuel and water on long runs between stops. They can set the steamer to be cruising along on point making only a token effort, and the diesel behind it taking the brunt of the load. Like so it helps them reach the next workshop where they can fill the water tanks again, as most of the water stops from the age of steam are long gone.

I was under the impression that UP was asking the FRA on behalf of preserved steam in general to grant an exemption to PTC requirements for heritage steam that isn't in regular revenue service. Usually when the big engines are on the move they have 2-3x their traditional crew aboard, more crew and railfans trackside and aboard the train, and they take extra precautions for line security and track safety. Having the extra crew should make the scenarios that PTC is intended to prevent far less likely to begin with.

Similarly, the bulk of PTC's functions could be implemented on a steam locomotive except one key feature- the ability to disengage the throttle automatically in conditions that would result in an emergency stop. Most steam locomotives would require significant mechanical alterations to be able to accomplish that, although I keep thinking a magnetic breakaway and spring to disconnect the lever and shut the throttle might make it possible with minimal visible changes. I'm visualizing a device that somewhat resembles a car's spring and shock absorber that can be installed in the throttle rod in an out of sight place. In normal use the spring is compressed and the rod latched. Under a PTC throttle disengage, the rod is unlatched and the spring extends, shutting the throttle regardless of where the engineer has the lever. Once the fault is cleared it can be reconnected by shutting the throttle fully, compressing the spring again and allowing the latch to pick back up. A little magnetic trip would be enough to release the latch on computer control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 09:36:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,992 Times in 874 Posts

UP did file a request for a waiver. https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-of-compliance

The FRA response to the UPRR. http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire...-miles-in-2019

There was several links in a thread on RYPN some months ago. I think I might have posted them here at least once.

After the Dec 31, 2020 date it gets a little sketchy.

Robert
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Railroads For This Post: