Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Win-charger, wind generator.

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 10081 times

Old 11-27-2011, 02:41:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,489 Times in 504 Posts
Default Win-charger, wind generator.

I have what I believe is a winco win-charger wind generator in my yard. I inherited my grandparents house, and my grandpa had it put up sometime before REA ran power out here. We have a couple of the old glass battery boxes down at the farm somewhere. They had the blades removed bach in the 60s-70s, and it is in pretty bad shape. Anybody know much about these? If theirs any interest I can put up some pics.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 02:49:32 PM

Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,201 Posts
Talking Re: Win-charger, wind generator.

Please post pictures....
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: Win-charger, wind generator.

Maybe I should add, as an electrician, I do have some intrest in seeing this work agian. But these funny little things here $$$$$$$$$$$, keep getting in my way.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:35:55 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,974 Times in 1,212 Posts

About all I can tell you is this is a larger model, and appears to have had three blades. Wincharger was a very common brand, and there were several others.
Lots of good pictures and information here. http://www.wincharger.com/
I remember seeing a Wincharger photo there with a 4 blade aluminum prop. No 3 blade that I remember. I have a couple Winchargers about the size of yours, (but definitely different) that are 24 volt. One says, "1200 watt Giant" on the tail. They have a simple single wood prop maybe 12 foot long. Repro blades are available online for those. Kevin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59:16 PM
Registered

I have tried to take it off by hand. It is very heavy, rusted in place, and 70' up. I have been meaning to built a little jib or gin pole arrangement to bring it down. But it is a pretty low priority at the moment. It just occured to me someone here may know a bit about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51:40 PM
Registered

Nobody else?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27:19 PM
Registered

Still looking.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,062 Posts

I have a book (in storage) that was written in the 70's? about rebuilding these, they are pretty simple, you'll probably need bearings and brushes at a minimum. If your not into rebuilding it yourself any electric motor shop should be able to handle it, and they can do stuff like undercutting mica and growling the armature that you may not be setup for.

Check out some books from your local library, most books on wind energy have at least a little info on these. You might also want to check out "Home Power" magazine, I believe you can access their archives online for a fee. There is also "Mother Earth News", grab a box of granola and enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32:44 PM
Registered

Boy, I am way late on this one, but perhaps someone is still interested in these. We had one of these ca 30's, it charged a 6 volt battery???, like a car, and we had a radio hooked up to it. I have no idea how the voltage was changed, if it were, but the radio worked. It was the only one in the community and folks would come over to hear it, the battery ran down pretty quick. One of the things I remember was the bees fighting it, don't know what seemed to trigger them off, but it would kill them by the hundreds, to the point that when they started, we shut it in till they calmed down or went away. Long time ago.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10:02 PM
Subscriber

I remember my grandfather telling about one he used to have before REA got power out to his farm. He said they had a 6v generator rewound and then carved their own propeller. The rest of the system came as a kit they assembled. It also kept a battery charged for a few lights and the radio.
I don't remember if he said it was rewound for slower speed operation or somehow it changed output voltage.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:53:51 AM
Registered

I have seen quite a few wind generators that I haven't been able to identify. There were many companies producing them for awhile and many were regional. And, as you have probably found out, there is not an abundance of information available.

What makes you think it's a Winco? Do you have the control panel? Hanging on a basement wall perhaps? Are the blades still on the farm?

From the looks of it, I think you have a good one! Direct drive generators are sought after more than the geared up versions. Fewer moving parts and cheaper maintenance. It looks decently sealed up from the environment too.

I'm curious how they set up the governor on that hub? Also curious how they mounted the tail, unless it's a down wind version?

Rig up a gin pole and take the generator down. Look for anything stamped on the outside casing of the generator itself, that may give you something. Oh, and take pictures when you get it down, everybody loves pictures.

I think they are fun to work on and when you're finished you can get some use out of them. Last big one I restored cost about $500 for bearings, paint, and blades.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12:19 AM
Registered

It was a down wind. Dad says it was a Winco. Grandma had somebody cut the blades off and let them fall 40 years ago. We don't have the control box, but we do still have a few of the glass battery boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1936JDB For This Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 01:32:17 PM
Registered

One more time.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:47:46 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1936JDB View Post
One more time.
Not sure what your looking for, I think to get anymore info on this machine you need to get it down and on a workbench to figure out what you have and what it needs. To get it down you need a Gin pole, or a crane. Years ago dad put a 120' tower in the backyard, he used a crane to erect the tower, decided a few weeks later he wanted to add a big antenna rotor, so he made a gin pole sturdy enough to lift the rotor, only problem was it was too heavy to get up the tower, so he made a lighter duty gin pole, we used it to haul the heavy gin pole up the tower.

The book I referenced earlier was written by Michael Hackleman, titled "Wind and Windspinners", I believe this is the book that has a little bit of info on the Jacobs and Winco generators. Amazon has this for $26 and change.

If you search youtube you will find lots of videos on blade carving, most entail chainsaws, bandsaws and chisels, ugh, looks like too much work to me. I found what looks like an easier way on www.fieldlines.com using a tablesaw. The chainsaw guys are trying to get twist into the airfoil, the tablesaw method produces a blade with no twist, but your only losing like 5% in efficiency.

Get that thing off the tower and onto a workbench, then spend a few weekends reading the www.fieldlines.com and www.thebackshed.com sites, there is a wealth of info there on RE, probably not much on your particular model, but I'd bet someone there can at least identify it (with more pics).

I am presently building several turbines for my properties, still a long ways from being an "expert" on the subject, I understand the mechanical aspects better than the electrical controls, yet happy to help if I can.

Kristin
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33:29 PM
Registered

I guess I was hoping that one of these days someone would say that they were familiar with tat particular model, and maybe post a picture of what it looked like. If you would like to donate to a fund to help with the restoration, I'd be happy to get things rolling. Until that happens, I probably will just have to dream. We are young, and not exactly loaded at the moment. Sorry if bumping my post after nearly 6 months upset anyone.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:19:01 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1936JDB View Post
I guess I was hoping that one of these days someone would say that they were familiar with tat particular model, and maybe post a picture of what it looked like. If you would like to donate to a fund to help with the restoration, I'd be happy to get things rolling. Until that happens, I probably will just have to dream. We are young, and not exactly loaded at the moment. Sorry if bumping my post after nearly 6 months upset anyone.
My best idea would be to post it on a wind generator forum, namely the two I listed before. If it just needs bearings and brushes its not very expensive, it just takes elbow grease and a few bucks. I needed bearings for another of my projects (an antique motor), if I'd gone to bearing supply guy it would have cost $100+ just for bearings, found both on ebay (nos made in America) for under $20 for the pair, only way it could have been cheaper is if they were free. You can buy cheap wind turbine blades all day on ebay, most are crap, either just pvc or stamped aluminum, neither has a true airfoil that will run at a high Tip Speed Ratio, which is needed to produce power. A "custom made" set of wood blades could set you back $500+, yet a trip to the hardware store and enough clear wood to build the props is more like -$50, some Tightbond 3 wood glue, some C-clamps, and a friend with a planer and tablesaw will get you the same thing.

You are actually miles ahead of most folks, you have a true wind turbine that just needs some restoration to fly again. I spent 4 hours on the lathe this evening just making a prop hub.

My mill is 95% recycled scrap, tower is recycled (and rewelded) scrap, batteries were scrap, wire was scrap. Actually getting pretty close to getting my system setup, concrete for tower base is going to cost $$, and battery controller/MPPT/inverter are all pretty damn expensive, so sorry, I've got no bucks to spare.

More than happy to help, but it starts on the workbench
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50:48 AM
Registered

I'm a member at wincharger.com, nobody's ever seen that one there either.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28:55 AM
Subscriber

Tried getting to that forum, the wincharger.com link is good, but the "forum" link is dead. There were many smaller wind turbine companies, maybe you have one of those, and there were probably some homemade versions too, so who knows. How tall is your tower? Got any friends with boom trucks/manlifts?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58:15 AM
Registered

Dad says he remembers it saying Winco on it somewhere. It is 70 feet. My bucket will go 30.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21:02 AM
Registered

I might be able to make blades for you. I just need to know if it's a center pivot blade or an edge pivot (leading edge I think). I do not have a pattern for a center pivot. First though, you have to take it down. A gin pole is best and it's not too difficult to set up as long as you're not afraid of heights.