Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan JC quick connect natural gas hose

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1738 times

Old 09-04-2014, 01:01:46 PM
Registered

Default Onan JC quick connect natural gas hose

Anyone have a suggestion on a flexible (rubber?) hose for connecting my JC generator to the 1 1/4 natural gas valve in my garage? This will be a temporary connection only in use when the generator is needed. I'll have to roll the generator outside the garage, connect the electrical service and gas lines then power up the gen and transfer the house over.

I understand a permanent install would be best, but my electric service has been rock solid for years and my generator is likely to get used infrequently. That said, I want this to be safe for the inevitable time that things are actually needed.

In summary, I'm after a 10-12 foot flexible natural gas supply line / hose that can be connected when needed and coiled and stored when not in use. My calculations show 1" diameter to be sufficient. This is low pressure natural gas. The few commercial suppliers I find sell pre-assembled hoses at $150-200 for something that is natural gas approved. I expect it will be cheaper to source this myself, but cant figure where to look.

Even better if someone could suggest a 1" quick connect pair that I could install at the end of this hose and on the nat. gas valve.

Thanks
Vin
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2014, 01:52:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Onan JC quick connect natural gas hose

Try places that cater to the BBQ and portable cooker folks. They have what looks like a jolly green giant version of a quick connect air hose adapter.

And just to bring out the safety police, for low volume, you can use a Home Depot normal air hose quick connect just fine. (no, not me, the wife's buddy using it as a hookup for a portable fire pit for their RV).
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05:10 PM
Registered

Grid

Thanks. I've tried every BBQ and gas fireplace place in town to no avail. Seems the 1 inch requirement is the problem. I'll keep calling around or bit the bullet and order an expensive pre-made hose
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlocci View Post
Grid

Thanks. I've tried every BBQ and gas fireplace place in town to no avail. Seems the 1 inch requirement is the problem. I'll keep calling around or bit the bullet and order an expensive pre-made hose
Check at your local oil producers supply store I am sure you could use a one inch natural plastic gas line they are at 150psi maybe they could cut a piece for you and sure they would have the connections also or maybe you have a friend that works for a gas company? your only dealing with 8 ounces natural gas .
when not in use roll it up in like 5 feet roll and tape it to store away.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:40:03 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,303 Times in 2,892 Posts

As you have found 1" quick connects rated for gas service are very pricey. I have 2, 25' hoses made from high pressure gas hose with male ends crimped on each end. The ends were installed by the local tractor dealership, anyone who makes up hydraulic hoses should be able to do it for you. The bulk hose can be had from LP gas suppliers. I use these in the shop to test various sets, last week I had 2 JCs running at the same time for a comparison.

Each end has 1/2 of a blk. pipe union on it to mate with the one on the gas outlet & on the generator. I also have extra union halves with plugs in them to "cap" the inlet on the generator & the end of the hose, this keeps spiders & dirt out of my generator supply line & seals the hose in case the valve were to be opened inadvertently. This setup does require a 10" crescent wrench & a 12" pair of channel locks, but no more than a couple minutes to hook up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 09:52:39 PM
Registered-III

The pipe fitters I know will not reuse a black pipe fitting like that. If they take it apart they toss it and grab new. I can't say they had a valid reason for it, just that that was normal procedure for them and not worth the risk.

I've got a place not too far from me that makes up hydraulic or propane lines in any combination you want. Sadly, I can't remember the name of the place at the moment. But if you really get stuck PM me and I'll swing by or dig up their name to see if they can do what you need and ship it to you.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58:46 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,303 Times in 2,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridle View Post
The pipe fitters I know will not reuse a black pipe fitting like that. If they take it apart they toss it and grab new.
That is correct for screwed fittings (tees, 90s, ect.) but unions are brass seated & made to be taken apart & reconnected.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55:14 AM
Registered-III

Sorry I completely missed that it was a union. I thought you were just putting new pipe dope on there and re-threading every time, which would obviously not be optimal.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:39:33 AM
Registered-I

I have a !5.0 JC propane powered generator and I went to a Parker hydraulic hose store. Parker has propane hose and the proper fittings at a reasonable price. All their fittings, hose and the people assembling it are top quality.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suntreemcanic For This Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 03:27:03 PM
Registered

To bring this thread to conclusion, I could not find anything local and reasonably priced and would up buying a 1in hookup hose and coupler from:

http://www.propane-generators.com/

First time I've dealt with them and they were fine. Product arrived as expected with no surprises.

Thanks for your help

Vin
The Following User Says Thank You to vlocci For This Post: