Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan MME model 9mme a 1a - Help Needed

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 1245 times

Old 07-27-2017, 04:17:52 PM
Registered

Default Onan MME model 9mme a 1a - Help Needed

EDIT: Threads combined and Title corrected. -- Harry

thanks for the shop manual it helps a lot it starts right up but as soon as you release the start button it dies.you have heard it before and i have done the research about low oil pressure,low voltage and overheated exhaust. i will try them as soon as i get the low pressure switch fixed. it went bad before and someone just added an extention to the junction block and put another switch on and when i went to take it off and the brass nippol fell apart so now i need to get that piece out of the block and fix it right those oil switches are not cheap the cheapest one is 80 bucks at napa. i think the owner has other problems as well like air in the oil but i am not sure he just changed the oil the day before i got there and it looked clear but with black chunks in it. and there is an antifreeze leak in the exhaust i think. there is green stuff on the tray under the gen set maybe that was from filling it. no white smoke so that is good. and it is on a fresh water boat that hardly ever gets run. it is a nice boat but it is 100 miles away one way so it is a trip to say the least. every time i go to buy the oil switch they ask me for the part no. so which is the original? at what is the low pressure shut off? so can get a generic shut off switch.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 07:58:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,976 Times in 1,084 Posts
Default Re: onan mme marine gen set

To help you the best, please post the FULL model and serial number of your set. There can be several reasons why your particular set won't stay running after you let off of the start switch. One reason can be because the generator isn't producing voltage. One other that I encountered with a late 7.5JB was that the oil pressure switch was stuck closed. You might try disconnecting the oil pressure switch and see if it will stay running.
Otherwise, you need to post the model and SN of the set.
Check the twinslan site and see if you can find the manuals for your set. Chances are it will have a wiring schematic for your set. The LETTER spec on the ID tag is important to further define which parts and diagrams are for your generator.
"Ma" Bell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21:28 PM
Registered

i got the shop manual for the generator and the model no. is 9mme a 1a and the serial no. is I870940696 it is and older one and only get used about once a year because the owner is on shore power. how do i decode these no.s . i got a oil ressure switch on amazon for 27.oo it is for a genrac but i think they are the same.?
Old 07-29-2017, 09:18:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,187 Posts

Is it possible it is a 9MME-1R/1A other wise I only find a 9MME-A/1C
Old 07-29-2017, 09:22:18 PM
Registered

Default onan mme model 9mme a 1a what are the specs

the owner just knows it is on his boat and will start when you push the switch and shut off when you release it. it's been worked on before and messed up like adding an extra pressure switch and leaving the old one in. i think there is a leak because the paint one the engine where the fitting goes into the block was missing so i am changing all that out and trying to fix the leaks. the gen doesn't get used but once a year for a few minutes. i went to turn the fittings to get the low pressure switch off and the fitting broke off. but i got an internal pipe wrench for 1/8 in pipes so it should be a minor hickup i will let you people know when i get the parts and get it installed. i got all three manuals so i am not totally lost.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:23:01 PM
Registered

that's possible. when the owner changed the oil he put 30 wt oil in it. is that too thick? i think the part came in. it's at a friends house in Spokane and he is hard to get a hold of.

yes that is possible. when the owner changed the oil he put 30 wt oil in is that too thick?\

yes that is possible, can these no.s be interpreted? when the owner changed the oil be put 30 wt oil in, is that too thick? it only has 20 lbs of oil pressure when it first starts up.

yes that is possible. the owner ,when he changed the oil out 30 wt oil in is this to thick. it only has 20 lbs oil pressure at idle. can someone interpret the model and serial no. it might give me more info.

sorry about the multiple replies my computer was having a brain fart (blame the computer)
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20:54 PM
Registered

i got the low pressure switch . it is from a generac generator it is the closest i could get in the time frame provided. if i ordered one from onan it would be 50 bucks from nashville tenn and eight weeks out maybe. are theses switches normally open or closed and why so expensive do they have gold in them.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:40:16 PM
Registered

Default No ac input

I put a new pressure switch in that was not the problem. I think it is no ac. It is supposed to put out 90 volts ac to the control board and it doesn't.

Of course i am not sure how to check it as the manual doesn't look like the actual parts. It says something about a flash diode but it doesn't show where. Help!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52:58 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: No ac input

People have no idea what your refering to, are you posting in reference to this thread you started??

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170493 (Threads combined -- Harry)

If so, you should just keep the older thread going and don't post back in this one.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:28:31 AM
Subscriber

I don't see any ac power either.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,722 Posts

Nope me either. I got down to floor level, stared at the outlet on the wall and didn't see any power running around in those little slots you plug things into.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 12:27:43 PM
Registered

in order for the generator to stay running the control board needs to see 90 volts ac otherwise, it shuts the engine off. I typed the last post from my wife's cell phone. it would help to be a little more professional when you reply, it doesn't scare people off. another thing is a 9mme a 1a that is what the tag says on the front of the generator and the shop manual goes through the procedure to check the voltage it is just not clear where the terminals are or where the flash diode is.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,009 Times in 3,645 Posts

Is this the same gen you posted here?
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170493

Edit: THREADS COMBINED -- Harry

Last edited by len k; 08-12-2017 at 01:12:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:58:29 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgenny View Post
in order for the generator to stay running the control board needs to see 90 volts ac otherwise, it shuts the engine off. I typed the last post from my wife's cell phone. it would help to be a little more professional when you reply, it doesn't scare people off. another thing is a 9mme a 1a that is what the tag says on the front of the generator and the shop manual goes through the procedure to check the voltage it is just not clear where the terminals are or where the flash diode is.

I was not being disrespectful when I was asking about what you were working on!
We have ZERO idea what you were asking about in respect to the hundreds of different model of Onan's made so it's generally not possible to answer a question without model and serial numbers.
Plus the extra bandwidth to keep starting new threads on a set you might already have a thread started on it. Just saying.

There is a TON of knowledge here however, they are not mind readers, a little more information was needed. Thanks for posting the model number.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 02:07:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,897 Posts

Here is where my mother would say something about a gift horse.

FYI- https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpost.php?p=885804&postcount=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:02:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,475 Times in 948 Posts

From what you posted, I have no idea of what sort of generator you are talking about. Going to make an assumption that it is an Onan or you would not be posting here. Onan made hundreds of different models and I couldn't begin to guess whch one you might be referring to, what the problem is, what you have done to try to solve it or the results of your work.

Folks here are real nice and go way out of their way to be helpful but you got to help them with basic information so they can help you. Get testy with them and you're on your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,649 Times in 977 Posts

One of the rules I first learned for the fastest and most accurate responses (click link below)

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showp...31&postcount=1

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,722 Posts

Look Johnny, Iv'e been on my knees for hours staring at those wall slots looking for the magic juice. Two of my neighbors came over and also were perplexed. I got one of those tester things with the numbers that go all jibbity jibbity and stuck them in the slot things per Goober the guy next door. Think I founsd it. One slot I forget, the bigger or smaller one says 121 volts and the other one nothing when I touch the other wire to the screw on the front. So I think I have half power. Is it normal to have a big flash when I test?
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,897 Posts

Here is an illustration of one somewhat dated test method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectricityTest.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	288460  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,009 Times in 3,645 Posts

Looks similar what I did when I was small. Except I washed the wall and outlet with a wet sponge checking to see if I would get shocked.........I was.

Edit: My tester was a hairpin spread apart to go into the outlet at my age of two, nuts for electricity ever since. -- Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post: