Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Hit & Miss Model from Banggood


this thread has 58 replies and has been viewed 5426 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04:28 PM
steam and oil steam and oil is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Philpot, Kentucky
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Piston o-rings are 22mm x 1mm. Oringsandmore.com

---------- Post added at 08:04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57:19 PM ----------

Oops!! 20mm x 1mm. That's what happens when I try to go off memory.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:48:19 PM
krawlr's Avatar
krawlr krawlr is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Williamsburg, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,258
Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 1,127 Times in 422 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

So what would the scale of these be? I'm trying to think of a creative way to hide the ignition system and have it sit on a skid.
__________________
Don Edwards

With a sawzall and a MIG welder, everything fits everything.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59:21 PM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlr View Post
So what would the scale of these be? I'm trying to think of a creative way to hide the ignition system and have it sit on a skid.
Hi would these ignitions work as replacement on the engines from banggood
https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vel...FQ2QaQodqasOCA
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:17:37 PM
krawlr's Avatar
krawlr krawlr is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Williamsburg, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,258
Thanks: 1,160
Thanked 1,127 Times in 422 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

That would work but you'll have to rig some kind of contact points for a trigger and an ignition coil from a points type engine.

For the people having ignition failure I noticed MyFordboy replaced one of the batteries with a metal slug so it ran on 2 cells. This was on the earlier blue models, don't know about the updated ones.
__________________
Don Edwards

With a sawzall and a MIG welder, everything fits everything.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-29-2019, 08:30:56 AM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlr View Post
That would work but you'll have to rig some kind of contact points for a trigger and an ignition coil from a points type engine.

For the people having ignition failure I noticed MyFordboy replaced one of the batteries with a metal slug so it ran on 2 cells. This was on the earlier blue models, don't know about the updated ones.
For anyone interested I found a site that has ignitions for model engines
http://www.model-engine-ignition.com/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Venetis For This Post:
  #46  
Old 07-03-2019, 04:31:32 PM
Andrew Mackey Andrew Mackey is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rockaway, New Jersey USA
Posts: 14,030
Thanks: 1,987
Thanked 6,597 Times in 4,250 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

This may have been discussed before, but I skipped to the last page. has the new tarriffs affected delivery or price of the bangood engines?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55:23 PM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
This may have been discussed before, but I skipped to the last page. has the new tarriffs affected delivery or price of the bangood engines?
Mine was in customs since the 29th no update.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:19:13 AM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
Mine was in customs since the 29th no update.
I finally received my engine and I got it going using lighter fluid On the carburetor adjustment you turn it out less than a quarter turn. It was worth the 20 days wait.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Venetis For This Post:
  #49  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10:58 AM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
I finally received my engine and I got it going using lighter fluid On the carburetor adjustment you turn it out less than a quarter turn. It was worth the 20 days wait.
The filler hole in the fuel tank is very small how do people fill the tank. I use the spout on a lighter fluid can but the fluid leaks when filling the tank.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42:15 PM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
The filler hole in the fuel tank is very small how do people fill the tank. I use the spout on a lighter fluid can but the fluid leaks when filling the tank.
I noticed that when I run my model it moves around the bench how do people keep it steady thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-21-2019, 11:06:38 AM
leviathon leviathon is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

I received my engine but no joy ! I couldn't get it to run.


This is not my first engine. I have over 25 engines in my collection, five built by me and currently work on my Sealion.

My tries went something like this:

I tried the lighter fluid = Nope
I tried re-adjusting the needle = Nope
I tried coleman fuel= Nope
I replaced the Hall effect with the spare one = Nope
I tried two batteries instead of three = Nope

Verified Spark = Spark Ok BUT weak (will get back to this).

So took apart the head and checked the valves for leak on a simple valve leak test setup. Results = they leaked pretty bad. I did not do anything to address this issue (will explain below).

I also took apart the carb. The carb was badly machined (too many burrs and scratches) (at least in mine). I cleaned up the burrs, and re-assembled.

Still nothing.

At this point i contacted my friend down the street who also bought one.

His experience went like most Youtube videos. Put in batteries. Filled tank with lighter fluid. Two spins and started. I had him bring his engine over and did some comparisons with mine.

Something i forgot to mention is that both our engines are identical (ET-1).

I noticed the following:

His valves did not leak anywhere as bad as mine. His ignition spark was much stronger. I did not take apart his carb as to not disturb (mess up !) anything there since his is running fine.

The machining as similar to both engines.

So after this little comparison i have come to the conclusion that there is significant variability as how these engines are machined and put together.

At this point i will be returning my engine back. I do not want to invest anymore time on an engine with issues, since i can very easily return mine and get another one.
The whole basis with this engine is that the price point is so low, that its not worth putting any time into troubleshooting it. Just roll the die and re-order. Most likely my next one will be as good as my friend's.

Which was the whole basis of ordering this engine to begin with.

So my suggestion for all those out there that cant get this engine going as easily as you see in so many Youtube videos.

Packit up and return it. Don't get aggravated and start attempting all kinds of "things" make it work.

As long as you followed all the correct steps, and the engine wont come to life, "send it back !" (to cain a recently used phrase).

Its the amazon of model engines.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35:07 PM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
I received my engine but no joy ! I couldn't get it to run.


This is not my first engine. I have over 25 engines in my collection, five built by me and currently work on my Sealion.

My tries went something like this:

I tried the lighter fluid = Nope
I tried re-adjusting the needle = Nope
I tried coleman fuel= Nope
I replaced the Hall effect with the spare one = Nope
I tried two batteries instead of three = Nope

Verified Spark = Spark Ok BUT weak (will get back to this).

So took apart the head and checked the valves for leak on a simple valve leak test setup. Results = they leaked pretty bad. I did not do anything to address this issue (will explain below).

I also took apart the carb. The carb was badly machined (too many burrs and scratches) (at least in mine). I cleaned up the burrs, and re-assembled.

Still nothing.

At this point i contacted my friend down the street who also bought one.

His experience went like most Youtube videos. Put in batteries. Filled tank with lighter fluid. Two spins and started. I had him bring his engine over and did some comparisons with mine.

Something i forgot to mention is that both our engines are identical (ET-1).

I noticed the following:

His valves did not leak anywhere as bad as mine. His ignition spark was much stronger. I did not take apart his carb as to not disturb (mess up !) anything there since his is running fine.

The machining as similar to both engines.

So after this little comparison i have come to the conclusion that there is significant variability as how these engines are machined and put together.

At this point i will be returning my engine back. I do not want to invest anymore time on an engine with issues, since i can very easily return mine and get another one.
The whole basis with this engine is that the price point is so low, that its not worth putting any time into troubleshooting it. Just roll the die and re-order. Most likely my next one will be as good as my friend's.

Which was the whole basis of ordering this engine to begin with.

So my suggestion for all those out there that cant get this engine going as easily as you see in so many Youtube videos.

Packit up and return it. Don't get aggravated and start attempting all kinds of "things" make it work.

As long as you followed all the correct steps, and the engine wont come to life, "send it back !" (to cain a recently used phrase).

Its the amazon of model engines.
I would try putting a little oil in the cylinder. Probably if you get it going things might seal.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-21-2019, 01:51:40 PM
leviathon leviathon is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
I would try putting a little oil in the cylinder. Probably if you get it going things might seal.
Been there...done that.

Mystery Oil, Synthetic, etc....

---------- Post added at 01:50:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
I would try putting a little oil in the cylinder. Probably if you get it going things might seal.
Oh, and by the way, no oil would fix leaky vavles, that's just bad machining, lapping, etc.

---------- Post added at 01:51:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50:39 PM ----------

Oh, and by the way, no oil would fix leaky vavles, that's just bad machining, lapping, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:17:18 PM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
Been there...done that.

Mystery Oil, Synthetic, etc....

---------- Post added at 01:50:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48:17 PM ----------



Oh, and by the way, no oil would fix leaky vavles, that's just bad machining, lapping, etc.

---------- Post added at 01:51:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50:39 PM ----------

Oh, and by the way, no oil would fix leaky vavles, that's just bad machining, lapping, etc.
For the amount of time to send it back and get another engine why not try lapping the valves in.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46:38 PM
Junkologist's Avatar
Junkologist Junkologist is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avon, Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,490
Thanks: 3,117
Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,732 Posts
Images: 160
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

I have bought three of these engines so far, two for myself and one for a friend. The third one had a leaky intake valve. I pulled the head and lapped the valve in with polishing compound. Problem solved and the engine runs just as good as the other two now.
__________________
Mike

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-21-2019, 11:29:29 PM
Gil Garceau Gil Garceau is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 2,095
Thanks: 440
Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,089 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Good work, Mike!

---------- Post added at 11:29:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21:00 PM ----------

Leviathon, you say you replaced the hall sensor. This makes me think you have one of the blue engines with the gold ignition box. Is that right? If so, you will be much better off with the newer silver engine which has a much better ignition start to finish.

I usually check the timing and set it to top dead center or just a hair before it. Also, the newer ones have 2 o-rings close together. If there is no oil between then them it will not run right. They seal well enough that oil will not get between them. You can remove one and have a better running engine.
__________________
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/reddrryder/videos
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-22-2019, 06:24:57 AM
leviathon leviathon is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Garceau View Post
Good work, Mike!

---------- Post added at 11:29:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21:00 PM ----------

Leviathon, you say you replaced the hall sensor. This makes me think you have one of the blue engines with the gold ignition box. Is that right? If so, you will be much better off with the newer silver engine which has a much better ignition start to finish.

I usually check the timing and set it to top dead center or just a hair before it. Also, the newer ones have 2 o-rings close together. If there is no oil between then them it will not run right. They seal well enough that oil will not get between them. You can remove one and have a better running engine.
I have one of the silver engines, but yes, the ignition box is gold. I only have a single o ring. so does my friends.

I have one question. i have seen several videos with different wheel rotations. For example my friends and my instructions say counter clockwise from the governor side. However i have seen many videos with rotation being counter clockwise from the governors side.

---------- Post added at 06:22:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
For the amount of time to send it back and get another engine why not try lapping the valves in.
It took 4 days for the engine to arrive from date of order.

---------- Post added at 06:24:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22:01 AM ----------

I meant clockwise for most others.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02:43 AM
Tim Venetis Tim Venetis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lagrangeville, New York
Posts: 364
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
I have one of the silver engines, but yes, the ignition box is gold. I only have a single o ring. so does my friends.

I have one question. i have seen several videos with different wheel rotations. For example my friends and my instructions say counter clockwise from the governor side. However i have seen many videos with rotation being counter clockwise from the governors side.

---------- Post added at 06:22:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18:10 AM ----------



It took 4 days for the engine to arrive from date of order.

---------- Post added at 06:24:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22:01 AM ----------

I meant clockwise for most others.
From the governor side with the carburetor on the left side you turn the flywheel clockwise to start the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:05:50 AM
Gil Garceau Gil Garceau is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 2,095
Thanks: 440
Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,089 Posts
Default Re: Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Yes, clockwise is correct.
__________________
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/reddrryder/videos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
New Hit and Miss Owner JD Model E Maytag Model 92 Heelerman Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet 2 10-08-2014 02:24:28 PM
Billy Boy model hit & miss model engine Preston Wells Scale Model Engineering 1 03-03-2012 09:06:05 PM
Model Hit and Miss Tad Wicks Scale Model Engineering 26 08-16-2010 12:04:13 AM
The Mogul Runs! Hit & Miss,Miss,Miss, Miss,Miss Dan Bogart Antique Engine Archives 7 06-24-2003 12:10:08 AM
Model Hit & Miss Benny Mckheean N.C. Antique Engine Archives 4 02-03-2002 05:46:58 PM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57:40 AM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2019 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277