Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

2HP Famous Vertical Restoration

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 5407 times

Old 03-09-2014, 10:59:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: Just bought a 2HP Famous, would the experts please weigh-in...

Matt, that's definitely the same guy. He told me about that Domestic when I bought a 1 1/2 HP Emerson Brantingham from him. Sounded like a good deal on the Domestic.

Justin, spurred on by your other thread I just had to see what was under the grease. Since my shop is unheated a good cleaning will have to wait until warmer weather, but 15 minutes with a toothbrush and some simple green revealed this:

Fairly weathered, but distinct. We'll see what more cleaning uncovers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLeatherman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 07:23:10 PM
Registered

Found a little time here and there to continue the clean-up. It's actually kind of relaxing to spend 15 or 20 minutes at a time scrubbing on the engine at the end of some other job. So far there's a fair amount of original paint under the grease:

I also noticed that the pipe elbow in the cylinder head looks to be original. Need to find another one to match it now.

I noticed that on the red flywheel and the nameplate that was painted over that there's original (darker) paint showing at the edges. What's the best way to carefully strip off the overpaint and hopefully get back to the original paint underneath?
The Following User Says Thank You to JLeatherman For This Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29:17 PM
Registered

Two more quick questions. What oiler(s) would be correct for this engine? Also, I am missing the small cover that goes on top of the carb. Does the engine require that to run? I believe I can get a repro from Bill Starkey (who lives just a few minutes away) if I can't find an original.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:34:56 PM
Registered

Still wondering about a correct oiler setup for the cylinder oiler, and whether I need a carb cap to run it?

I've made a little more progress. The plumbing on the engine when I got it was a mixture of fittings, adapters, and angles. Functional, but not original and not attractive. Tonight I bent a new upper tube for the cooling tank. I also attempted to make some new fittings look more like the original "beaded" fittings since I can't find anything closer. After some sandblasting and matte black/brown paint I think it should blend in well enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLeatherman For This Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 06:24:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: 2HP Famous Vertical Restoration

This engine kind of got put on the back-burner, between some other projects and having 2 kids! Since International is the featured engine at Berryville this year (which is next weekend) I decided to get serious and see if she wanted to come along to the show. The fuel tank doesn't leak, and the fuel pump worked fine which was a surprise. Had to clean up and lube the ignitor and work some oil into the rings and valves to get enough compression to make her pop. Wouldn't you know it she wants to run!

I couldn't get the embedded video to play properly, but here's the youtube link:

https://youtu.be/d9qxYqVaRwo

The fuel pump works fine, but the water pump doesn't seem to be pumping at all. I tried pouring water into the cylinder head after it was running to prime it, but that didn't do the trick. There's a lever/valve handle on the side of the pump, is there something I'm supposed to do with that? Otherwise, who's got a good tutorial on rebuilding/repacking the pump? Anything special I need to buy?

Pic of the lever I'm talking about for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190720_172835313_TOP.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	339511  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLeatherman For This Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 07:50:18 PM
Subscriber

That handle is used to drain when in the up position and pump in the down position, may have to prime by filling thru pipe plug in head. Jim
Old 07-21-2019, 07:10:00 PM
Registered

Well, I thought I had it figured out. I pulled the pump off and found a bunch of seeds stuck under the check valve (first pic). With that gone everything freed up just fine, but when I put it back on it still won't quite pump up high enough to run water to the screen. If I remove the cap in the cylinder head I can see that water is getting almost up to the top, but not quite. Guess it needs re-packing. I pulled it down and found that the current packing is a bunch of wraps of thin string. I was expecting something a little thicker? Where can I buy new packing material, and is there a trick to installing it? Also there is a little wear on the piston. It's enough to feel, but no gouges or anything. Is it worth taking a skim of material off to return it to one diameter?

Also, one other question, is there supposed to be some sort of mesh material inside the breather housing? The engine spits oil out while running. It's not overfilled, it's just up to the nuts on the con rod. Looks like the breather housing is designed to catch oil mist and let it run back into the crankcase, but maybe I need to stuff it full of something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_173041119.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	339609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_175955239.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	339610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_180121822.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	339611  
Old 07-21-2019, 07:37:08 PM
Subscriber

Bring your 2 HP Famous to the show this weekend and we will get everything working. I will bring some of the material you need to fix the water pump.
Joe Fidd
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44:50 PM
Subscriber

I think the oil level is to high, here is a couple scans from the manual on oil level, Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_0014.pdf (563.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Scan_0015.pdf (215.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:39:29 AM
Registered

@Joe Fidd - Where do you usually set up? I am planning on bringing the Famous even if I can't get it sorted out in time. Usually I set up with my cousin in the flat center area of the grounds, but I'm not sure he's coming this year.

@Sparky - I'll have to look again but I didn't see an oil slinger on the end of the crank, just the doubled-up nuts from the con rod bolts. May have to add an oil slinger and lower the level accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLeatherman For This Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58:45 PM
Subscriber

I will have a 8 HP Mogul.
I should be near the Steam engines.
Have a Great Day!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42:19 PM
Subscriber

My 2 hp pumping engine has a flipper on one rod bolt. I read some where that the breather housing should be wet with oil when running. When you add the flipper your oil level probably will be to high. You will know because it will smoke like a steam engine, ive been there. The cover for the mixer is not necessary for running. On water pump packing i just used mop string soaked overnight in gojo hand cleaner without pumice. Worked like a charm. If your brass shaft is out of round you may be able to turn it 180 degrees. For a oiler youll need a engine oiler with vent tube but a machine oiler will get you by.

---------- Post added at 09:42:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40:42 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUEdylrPq0