Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Fairbanks Morse Y Style H Air Start

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1652 times

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27:28 AM
Registered-I

Default Fairbanks Morse Y Style H Air Start

I have the 10, 15, 20 and 25 horse Fairbanks Morse Y style H. This weekend we got the 25 horse running. It had not ran for some time. We had to belt it up to get it started. I have read and understand the starting procedure Harry has posted. Thank Harry it is very well written.

My 10 and 15 horse engines were being air started when I bought them. It appears they had the air inlet where the pressure relief valve is on my other two engines. Is this correct way to have the air start set up? If so, what is the proper procedure for using air start with these engines?

I would like to set the other two engines up for air start as well. I know air start is for wimps but I am getting older. What is the best way to setup air start on these engines?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to huberman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 03:01:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,436 Times in 847 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Y Style H Air Start

My 15 HP Y was hooked up for air start when I got it. The air start valve was just T'ed into the compression release port.

I found that the inrush of Cold air didn't help for starting. So I took it off.

We've discused this Many times but most hard starting is caused by using too little heat and too concentrated heat.

I'm 71 now and yes it is this easy. A friend has a 25 and I also start his only difference is it is a little harder to overcome the friction and inertia of the heavy flywheels.

This was a 50 degree day after it had set all winter.