Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Canada
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Canada For Canadian Smokstakers to meet, greet and have local discussion.

Smokstak Canada

The Summer That Never Was!

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1946 times

Old 09-24-2014, 07:20:25 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,596 Times in 7,466 Posts
Default The Summer That Never Was!

Hard to believe we are into fall already. But then, did we really have a summer?
Here in the Hamilton area, we had a wet spring, June was pleasant enough, July was cool and damp and August was just plain crappy. The weather in early September was better than most of August. And when it rained through the summer, it wasn't light showers. It came in downpours. One good thing in this area, we didn't get the violent thunder and wind storms we have had in previous years that knocked down trees.
Farmers' crops are suffering. The major grower right here doesn't look too bad. He has some of the better looking corn around. The beans are going to be iffy though. It looks like a crop but no records this year - just not enough heat. They are actually quite fortunate that there were a few hot days in September or they may not have had anything!
One thing about it, it made for lots of grass cutting. I have several acres to do as I look after a few neighbours. The one neighbour had a grandson married in the back yard in early August so that was a lot of work keeping the place looking nice. It turned out to be a perfect day and the yard and pond looked excellent. Still mowing grass and it is slowing a bit. No end in sight though.
It was just so busy this summer with work and grass cutting that was little time for playing with tractors. Only got to a few Ontario shows, Paris (it rained!), Sherkston, Ilderton, Cookstown and Blyth.
At any rate, how are things in your areas?
Aloha,
RM
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 09:39:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts
Default Re: The Summer That Never Was!

I dont think we are going to have much of a fall.It cooled off and all it has done is drizzle rain.
Seasons are changing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 02:32:27 PM
Registered

Down here in Louisiana living near the gulf of mexico we've really had a wet summer. Rain we got in spades, not talking about your normal rains but literally so bad you couldn't see where you were going. Thunder and lightening as well. Lost both GFI's to my old folks bath tub and waiting for the insurance adjuster to come over. Daughter lost the wireless modem and protective power strip as well. Good thing we had the huge water oak in front of the house taken down last year. That got zapped and blew pieces of tree all over. I would say that compared to other seasons past this one has been the worst. Have a few homemade planters, none of the beans, carrots came up. The wife got some big plastic flower pots, turned them upside down and cut the bottoms out. Have had a good crop of eggplants all summer, some peppers as well. Since this is sugar cane country farmers hoping for a dry spell when it comes time to harvest it. The roads get messed up from all the mud the tractors leave in the roads. Makes for dangerous driving. Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank46 For This Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 11:24:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,968 Times in 2,451 Posts

Looks like we are getting one last taste of summer this week.I guess this is what they call a Indian Summer ?.John
Old 09-25-2014, 01:03:05 PM
Subscriber

Most of our local fairs had rain. Ours here that I work at had to cancel Sunday as the show rings were 2 - 3" of mud. We had a meeting last week and it looks like we are still in the black but it will not take much to change the ink to red. As for grass cutting, normaly after the fair I do not cut the grass any more but this year had to do an extra cut (16 hrs.). Looks like this weekend is going to be nice for the last engine show in the area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCamp For This Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 09:19:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,968 Times in 2,451 Posts

I guess we should not Complain about summer being so mild as the heat can be bad.from what i have already heard this Winter is going to be just as bad as the last one or worse.John
Old 09-25-2014, 09:21:27 PM
Registered

I hope not casetractor the last one was brutal here
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05:45 PM
Sponsor

Thought I heard a combine running last night next road south of here. He may have been trying some out as he probably has futures contracts to fill? Some earlier corn is drying out but still looks pretty moist. This week has been the nicest stretch of weather we have had in a while but it is fall now and October is here next week!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22:44 AM
Sponsor

Looking out this morning, it looks like a fair touch of frost on everything. This is the first real frost we have had. It won't hurt anything now. Otherwise, looks like it is going to be a fine fall day.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50:16 AM
Registered

No frost here yet. Looking at the weather I'm sure it will come this week. I have no problems with that. Working in the golf industry I'mready for the grass to stop growing. I think last week might have been the nicest week of the summer. I heard another bad winter is coming.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:12:08 PM
Sponsor

A raw, wet day again. The farmers around here must be going nuts trying to get corn and beans off. It is getting late for planting wheat and there hasn't been much done yet. I hear the seed companies are getting ready to have much of the seed returned this fall.