Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Half breed engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4515 times

Old 06-18-2006, 03:40:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,252 Posts
Exclamation Half breed engine

The North Jersey Antique Engine & Machine Club has just obtained an Oil City Boiler Works/ South Penn half breed engine. It was on a lease in WV, removed about 8 months ago. Does any one have info on oil city, and South penn? Any parts available? Thanks guys,
Harry, you are the best!!!
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 05:03:18 PM
Email Not Working

Default Re: Half breed engine

the south penn cylinders were built on a liscense from Bessemer,

there should be all kinds of parts out there for them,
Old 07-27-2006, 11:15:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,252 Posts
Question Re: Half breed engine

I managed to get the 10 1/2" piston out of the engine tonight - cylender looks good, only a frw light rust spots, and a huge mouse nest! The piston is relatively clean, 2 of the 4 rings are free! Can anyone advise on who has parts for the south penn engines?, or perhaps any literature? Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Old 07-28-2006, 10:14:44 AM
Registered-III

Question Re: Half breed engine

I don't know of any supplier of specifically South Penn parts. Rings can be easily made, and the rod brass is babbit-lined, and should be repairable if it is badly worn. Byond that, I guess you'd have to locate a parts engine. I think they were built from about 1890 to around 1910 for a single customer, the South Penn Oil Co. I have two of them. One is a South Penn Special, which has a bedplate that looks la lot like a Titusville Iron Works JC. The other one is an Oil City Boiler Works. The Oil City has one skinny, steam engine-type flywheel, and one heavy flywheel on the clutch side, both keyed on the shaft. I have seen various pictures of the Oil City South Penns which show some variations in the style of the flywheels from engine to engine. The Special has flywheels that look more like a typical gas engine, with the governor side having a split, two-bolt hub like a Bessemer, and the clutch side being keyed. The cylinders on both engines are identical. I don't know of any literature on these engines, and as far as I know, none of them were tagged, and I don't have a clue about numbers/dates. There is some information elsewhere on this site, which you can access by using the "Search" feature.