Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid "sistersville" type?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3802 times

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31:19 AM
Registered-III

Default Reid "sistersville" type?

I have purchased a Reid and am trying to gather up all the info I can concerning them. I have run across references to the "sistersville" type Reid but have found no information that tells what makes them different from the "other" type, whatever that may be. How can you tell the difference between a "sistersville" and the "other"? It didn't take much digging to find that there is a Sistersville, WV, but there is also a Sistersville, Pa downstream from Oil City a bit. Was there a second factory for Reid engines? Are we talking about PA or WV?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18:12 AM
Email Not Working

Default Re: Reid "sistersville" type?

I am guessing that while you were purusing the Frick and Lindsay catalog you noticed that on page 30/46 it states that the Sistersville type is the engine that has the bolt on shaft and not the extended shaft for the clutch.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:46:52 AM
Registered-III

Ooops, I missed that. Thanks again Zack, I guess I need to re-read (re-Reid?) the stuff that is out there! One thing is for sure, the one I have is not a Sistersville type, that shaft sticks way out there.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Williams View Post
I am guessing that while you were purusing the Frick and Lindsay catalog you noticed that on page 30/46 it states that the Sistersville type is the engine that has the bolt on shaft and not the extended shaft for the clutch.
I am confused, which is my normal state of operation. I thought the loooong shaft was the Sisterville type. Thanks Jeff
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11:28 PM
Sponsor

The engines with the long shafts are the sisterville type. The bolt on shafts are for the reversing and cut off clutch units.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:15:35 PM
Email Not Working

Please refer to this booklet page number 30

http://www.zmwdesign.com/documents/F...20Snippets.pdf

It clearly states that the sistersville type is for both reversing clutch and straight clutch, it merely means that a Reid engine with the bolt on shaft is called a Sistersville type engine. A Reid with a long shaft is not a Sistersville type.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16:47 PM
Sponsor

This link has a manual for Reid engines. http://www.oldengine.org/docs/Docs.htm
Old 11-15-2007, 02:30:27 PM
Email Not Working

If you look on page 35 of the Reid manual you just posted it shows a picture of the Sistersville clutch with the bolt on hub. The clutch is in picture is also a non-reversible kind.

So there again I must say that a Sistersville engine has a bolt on shaft.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:22:33 PM
Subscriber

What I know:

Sistersville Reid's have a bolt on configuration. The clutch can be reverable for drilling and bailing single derrick configured wells, or a one-way clutch can be installed.

Long shaft Reids are typical of those engines that are non-reversible and ran an eccentrics.

What I've been told:

The Sistersville configuration came out of Sistersville, WV to market an engine that can replace the steam engine. The configuration will allow the engine to do the work of drilling, pumping and bailing.

Not sure, but I've been told that there was a Reid plant in or near Sistersville, WV. If not, there was one heck of a good salesman.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:23:41 PM
Subscriber

Also, either modle can be found in either a right or left hand configuration.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:29:31 PM
Sponsor

Opps Zack your right! Sorry
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48:02 PM
Email Not Working

No worrys, I am sure we just cleared up a lot of fog for people!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17:15 PM
Registered-III

Just so im clear on all this Reids with bolt on clutches of either kind were manufactured if sistersville WV, and the Reids that have the long crank shafts for the clutch came from oil city PA.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21:00 PM
Email Not Working

No, all Reids with the bolt on shaft were called Sistersville Reids, Bill is just saying that Sistersville, Wv is where the type of engine got it's name from and that there is a possibility that there was a Reid plant in Sistersville Wv.

I havn't heard any real evidence to support this but as many Reids as there are in WV I would not be surprised if there were a factory somewhere down here at some time.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:30:58 PM
Registered-III

Oh ok, I was under the impression that there was a plant in sistersville, but they possibly just got that name from being in that area, and no one knows for sure that reid had a plant there. Very interesting.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:19:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,800 Times in 248 Posts

Your 12 is not a Sisterville Ray as should be obvious from the above posts. Did you get your picture under the Reid sign as planned? What did your cronies think of your Yellow Dog? Bill Klein
Old 11-16-2007, 02:48:38 AM
Registered-II

Ray the Reid that you bought is the Sisterville type with the bolt on clutch.
I looked at that part of the engine when I was there and I was planning on unbolting the clutch to load the engine. If the engine had not been the sisterville type clutch would have been hard to remove I think.
Danny
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53:06 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.P.Klein View Post
Your 12 is not a Sisterville Ray as should be obvious from the above posts. Did you get your picture under the Reid sign as planned? What did your cronies think of your Yellow Dog? Bill Klein
Bill,
Yes I figured out it was not a sistersville after the above posts. I did get my pic under the Reid sign in Oil City, that was a very interesting drive. No way I could get the Reid in the background because of the traffic, but the little Reid had its homecoming! I will have to admit driving through downtown Oil City trying to find a place to turn my trailer around was a bit challenging, and Franklin was not particularly trailer friendly either! But the drive over was beautiful, fall was in full bloom.
The trip to pick the engine up took 5 days total, covered 2967 miles and burned $850 in diesel. I am fixing to do it again to go get the Reid that Dannyinky found too, it is my civic duty to save it from the scrap man.
I think my buddies are more interested in the Yellow Dog than they are in the Reid. If someone gathered up a truckload of them I bet we could sell them down here!
We have fired the Reid up a few times, it is not as easy for me to start as it was for you but I am getting better. I am working on some valving on the intake to try to help control the speed a bit better. We are having a great time working with it though! Thanks Bill for the really neat toy!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58:20 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyinky View Post
Ray the Reid that you bought is the Sisterville type with the bolt on clutch.
I looked at that part of the engine when I was there and I was planning on unbolting the clutch to load the engine. If the engine had not been the sisterville type clutch would have been hard to remove I think.
Danny
Danny,
Thanks for the info, I was a bit concerned about the width of the engine myself. That shaft would stick WAY out from my trailer if it wasn't a sistersville. Do you happen to remember if the transfer valve, the metering valve and the governor were still there? I can't tell from the pics.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15:46 AM
Registered-II

OK ,This is how it was always told to me by all the old time oilmen from around this area (Oil City, Franklin area) ALL Reid,s were built in Oil City , But when they started to ship them to out of state places, Sisterville,WV. being one of the first, they were to wide to fit on trucks without being torn down so Reid came up with the idea of having a bolt on shaft and because they were going to sisterville they just used that name as a nick-name for ones built with a bolt on shaft. This kinda makes sence because some in this area are long shaft and some bolt-on with serial numbers real close. But I really have never seen anything written by reid thats proves this to be a fact, just my two cents worth from" listening to the old-timers" Bruce