Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

What burns my bubble...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4156 times

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52:43 PM
Subscriber

Default What burns my bubble...

couple of "friends" of mine took me for a ride this evening. they are into scrapping. they took me to a place that theyre getting ready to clean up and showed me some stuff.... a bunch of international equipment, and a few old trucks, and 3 gas engines. one was a 3 hp mccormick m ignitor engine, and one was a jager that was still on the cement mixer, and the last one i believe was a fairbanks. i asked them if they would just sell them to me at scrap price and i even offered them a few dollars more than scrap. well i got the reply "once we load everything, its going to the scrap yard and you can deal with them" well thats crap! the only bad thing is the scrap yard they go to directly hauls the steel out the same day. but i am going to try to follow them up there and cabbage on to these things.. i guess that song you find out who your friends are is really the truth....

ok my rant is over.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default Re: what burns my bubble...

Some friends they are! They sound like complete morons to turn down more money than scrap and not have to haul them to the scrap yard! Follow those engines closely. I doubt the scrap yard operator would be as dumb as those other guys to turn down a good offer and have no work invoved. Good luck!

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26:25 PM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: what burns my bubble...

Get them ! Follow every twist and turn of that truck ! -some friends I cuss them out soo badly !!!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27:50 PM
Billy Redden

Where they at?? let me kick em where it hurts!! I know a guy here near Hoopeston who had a nice old school bell come inafter cleaning up a barn. He is so stupid after I offered to buy it took a slege to it right there!!! . It aint worht nothing but scrap needless to say he dont talk to me anymore, said a few words to him about having common cense
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30:42 PM
Billy Redden

Hey call me I will drive over and just take em!!! hahaha not worth anything to them but to us there gold!! mainly the IHC That would be a prison sentence to send that one to the yard
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,098 Times in 288 Posts

I would think you would offer considerably more than scrap price . The weight of the three together is not all that much. If you wait to until they load them up chances are they will get broken up in the process .

Keven
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13:09 AM
Subscriber

im thinking if i offer them 500 for all 3 they may bite onto it.. scrap is 225 a ton... so.. 3 isnt going to weigh a ton.. its just really makes me angry because one. they know i collect them 2.. they dangled them in my face and 3 there supposed to be friends... uhg dang immature people.. somtimes i think they were dropped on their heads...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:20:57 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,232 Times in 3,961 Posts
Default Re: What burns my bubble...

Kyle,

April Fools???...or are they just "fools?"

Beth
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14:15 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 4,032 Times in 613 Posts

Just offer them twice the scrap price with cash in hand take them with you right away if you can. There is not much incentive for someone not to scrap them if a guy doesn't want to pay more and come get them fast. Cash $$ and an absence of BS can buy anything destined for the scrap yard or if its already there,, and if you think it can't then you just don't know any better.. Guys that scrap like fast easy cash, that is why the yards pay in cash, but more is better.

I have stopped people on the road with loads of scrap bought stuff, I bought at the yard before they sell it and even paid random guys working in the yard who I know just stick the money in there pockets,, and another thing I don't ask permission to walk around and I have never had the cops called on me yet and even if I do someday it will have been worth it..
Old 04-02-2008, 07:29:43 AM
Registered-I

This reminds me of many years ago when I first started junking. I came upon a pile of old engines in a slough. I had to bust them up to load them. I've been kicking myself in the tail ever since. If I had known anything about old engines back then I could have made a fortune selling them at the swap meets. Live and learn. I know exactly what you mean about people destroying this stuff, and can't understand why some people do that. I would have gladly made a profit without having to do the work. One problem nowdays is with the scrap price so high and all the young scrapper wannabes who don't care about old iron. to them it's just junk. I think it should be against the law for anyone under 50 to try to be a scrapper. maybe by then they'd know what they are doing, LOL.
I guess that is another case of learning the hard way.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24:49 AM
Subscriber

its no april fools joke.... today im going to go see the owner, and kinda go behind their backs and see what happens... who knows.. these guys have got me all p.oed and i found out where they take their scrap and i already called the owner of the scrap yard... and gave him a hell of an offer.. ill keep you all updated.........
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57:47 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,099 Times in 533 Posts

I have seen several engines that have been scrapped and by the time I seen them in the pile they were already busted up and sometimes they were rare engines Wish I owned a scrap yard or 2

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,184 Times in 469 Posts

These damn scrap junkies have got to be controlled some way. Lots of stuff around here has been turning up in the junkyards only to be found as stolen. One of the local yards has a 24 to 36 hour delay in paying so things can be checked out. You have to supply them with info on where the things came from. They don't like the idea of being busted for possesion of stolen goods. Most of the junkies around here are white trash that only live for cigarettes and alcohol. The state troopers just love to catch them hauling to the yards. The ticket books come out and the cops get real particular about the vehicle they drive.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35:28 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,232 Times in 3,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlankenship View Post
its no april fools joke.... today im going to go see the owner, and kinda go behind their backs and see what happens... who knows.. these guys have got me all p.oed and i found out where they take their scrap and i already called the owner of the scrap yard... and gave him a hell of an offer.. ill keep you all updated.........
Hi Kyle,

Dang, that really does stink! I was hoping you were joking...

Best of luck in getting the scrap yard to cooperate, but give it a try!

Beth
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48:21 AM
Registered-I

I think this has nothing to do with the value of the scrap. Some people seem to get off by denying others some thing they want. They see no value to the item but get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing others suffer. A little bit like the millionaire lighting a cigar with a $50 bill.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15:54 PM
Registered-III

i have a few choice words for your so called "friends" kyle that are probably not allowed on this site, what these guys did is down right ignorant, sure they could of said were gunna take you to some engines we found that we'd like you to have , but they had to take you there and rub it in your face that they were gunna bust 'em up for scrap. i sure hope you get ahold of these engines before they are gone. you know what they say. what goes around comes around, these guys will get what they deserve.

jordan
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43:34 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 3,997 Times in 395 Posts

I hope I'm wrong and you are able to get the engines. They sound to me like they are the kind of people that will bust the engines up while loading just to be sure that nobody can get any use out of the engines.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22:00 PM
Registered-III

Some people just won't listen to reason. I learned that the hard way.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:14:27 PM
Registered-III

Wink Re: What burns my bubble...

Your "buddies" can't do any harm if their truck doesn't run. The newer a vehicle is, the easier it is get revenge. Modern computers and fuel systems are exceptionally sensitive to evil liquids and stray voltages. Let your imagination run free! Al Wait
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01:14 PM
Registered-II

Hey kyle if it helps let me in on it, for you they don't know me from hot apple butter and might deal with me and then you you will have one up on them. Give me a ring a ding your see you at brookville this saturday. Jw 478-8353