Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid plunger type water pump

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2941 times

Old 05-28-2008, 11:45:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Reid plunger type water pump

While looking at a Reid manual reprint I ran across a drawing and parts list of a plunger type water pump that goes on the end of the main shaft past the clutch. It is pretty self-explanatory except for a couple of items. Does anyone know how the pump rod connects to the pump plunger? How does the pump gland seal on the plunger rod when it is going from side to side as well as up and down?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54:46 AM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Reid plunger type water pump

These pumps are not terribly common, as water will freeze and expand in winter, and in oil field use, plain old water was the coolant of choice ... these humble plunger pumps were often the casualty of not draining all the system when done running for the day.
I have seen them in operation but will leave intellectual reply to your specific questions to those who are younger, better looking and more knowledgeable than I.
Well ...
Younger and more knowledgeable, anyway!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky Pilot For This Post:
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57:07 AM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Reid plunger type water pump

John Burns is currently reproducing these pumps, and he can probably tell you the full story on them.

Good Luck
Earnie
The Following User Says Thank You to Earnie Hampton For This Post:
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32:57 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Reid plunger type water pump

see video of ours.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3wGsdUl4xBk

Seals on piston not rod, I used an air brake pod clevis for the wristpin on mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Farmer For This Post:
Old 05-29-2008, 03:04:07 PM
Registered-III

Sky Pilot--- Thanks for the info, I guess I might think about a drain for it then, it might actually freeze down here sometime. That is a detail that is hard to think of in Texas when it is in the mid 90's!

Earnie--- Thanks, you are right! I have one on order.

Russell --- Fantastic engine! I hope to have mine looking like that some day. And a picture is definitely worth a thousand words, I can see how it all works now.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47:23 PM
Registered-I

I have a story to tell you about these water pumps. While we were in Portland in August one of the Reid engines being displayed had a water pump installed. Brian (the owner) told me the body of the pump came from ohn Burns. Brian placed a steel strap on the clutch side of the flywheel running it from one clutch hole to another on the other side. He welded a post about 1inch in diameter to match up to the plunger rod for the pump. It was a very good design. It appears there was a plate the did the exact thing Brin's strap did. Now for the best part of this story. About 30 minutes after seeing Brian's reproduction pump and setup I discovered a water pump with all attachments in the selling area for less than Brian paid for his repro. (smiling widely). The best thing about my find was discovering that my find was an ORIGINAL Reid pump. The only one I have ever seen. Good luck.Rusty
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19:53 AM
Registered-III

You are one lucky guy Rusty! Especially when you consider I was also at Portland in August scouring the place for Reid parts I needed, with that high on my list. You beat me to it!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10:02 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,099 Times in 533 Posts

I have a couple original pumps hanging on the wall in my engine shed just never know when I'll need one also have original brass gasoline carb.

Tom Winland
Ohio