Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co Stationary tractor engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3921 times

Old 12-14-2005, 10:38:25 AM
Sponsor

Default Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co Stationary tractor engine

Recently located a Waterloo Tractor stationary engine as shown on bottom left of page 537 of Wendel's big yellow book. It was in the building where it had always been used along with an extra carb, mag, crank, and flywheel. It was loose and had compression. Has anybody seen one of these? I've got a friend that's been collecting old engines for more than forty years and he's never seen one. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Pictures were taken but not with a digital camera. I'll try to get some transferred to disk and post later.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34:21 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co Stationary tractor engine

Hello~

On the subject of the Waterloo engine, did you actually see a tag on the engine? I don't have a BYB to reference the photo to so I will ask if it is a two cylinder engine?

The reason I ask is that the two cylinder Waterloo built engine that came on the Waterloo Boy tractor was also marketed by the Associated Manufacturers Co. as a 2-cylinder 25HP stationary unit. So what you have there may actually be an Associated engine. I have thought about it, and I believe that after John Deere Co. bought out the Waterloo Engine Co. and they began to develop the John Deere tractor, replacing the Waterloo Boy, Associated may have bought the out dated tractor engines to sell as stationary units. Associated was already making magnetos for John Deere to put on their hit and miss engines so this may have all been part of the deal.

I have seen a few of these so it will be interesting if this is what you have.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/smi.../25HPtwin2.jpg
Old 12-15-2005, 10:05:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,534 Posts

Is the engine you found like the one shown in the pictures below? This one is a great runner that can be seen at the Owensville Threshers Show in Rosebud, MO - held on the 3rd weekend of July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterlooBoy3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5563   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterlooBoy1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	5564  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23:48 AM
Subscriber

There used to be one of these in Bond, Colorado sitting in a pile of old mining junk. Was pretty complete. I used to see it passing through there elk hunting. last time I was up there was in the mid eighties so it is probably long gone now. It was the only one I had ever seen.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25:40 AM
Sponsor

Keith, it is a two-cylinder just like the one John posted and it does have a Waterloo tag. I have the serial number somewhere but can't put my hands on it. With fresh gas it started on the second pull. An uncle of the people that own it had been starting it every year for at least the last forty years. I wish I owned it but it was fun just to be involved in saving it. Thanks to everybody that responded. Huck
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15:43 PM
Registered-III

Just in case you missed the link I posted, here it is again.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/smi.../25HPtwin2.jpg

Nice to see a few of these around.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49:35 PM
Registered-III

I saw a Waterloo Boy 2 cylinder engine at the cider mill at Fly Creek, NY just south of Cooperstown. It looked just like a JD power unit but had the Waterloo plaque on it. It was being used regularly in the fall of each year. I know they did have a gas-up there each year but it was outside of my territory. Some of the guys that went there to the Fly Creek show should know about it. Dick in the snowy, cold Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:18:34 PM
In Memory Of

John;

I was at Rosebud Missouri, probably the same time you took that picture. In one of your pictures you have the back of Jack, the owner of the Waterloo Boy "tractor" engine. Right next to the Waterloo Boy is a 10 HP Otto, which also belongs to Jack. I don't know if Jack would want me to disclose his last name, I don't think he uses a computer. And just across the isle is "DELCO DON's" Delco-Light display.

I'm surprised you didn't get a picture of my "junque".

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-026F.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	5568   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-027F.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	5569  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,534 Posts

Don,
Do you really think I would ignore your wagon load of Delco plants?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Delco4cyl.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delco752.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5574  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-16-2005, 12:10:44 AM
In Memory Of

John;

Nice pictures, they make my Delco-Light generators look better than they really are.

Did you take the opportunity to visit with Jack and talk about the history of his engines? He is a very knowledgeable gas engine and tractor person. A lot of the time he has a Lake Breeze fan operating. He had another small black sideshaft engine there, that run a generator. I forget the make of it, but I have a picture some place. I'll have to look it up and post it for all to see. I spent a lot of time in my lawn chair over at his display talking. If some one looked interested in my "set up", I would walk over and give them the 25 cent tour.

After the show had pretty well closed down (5:30 or so) he and I went to his house to look at the generator, which he had taken off of the base. He had the belt driven generator and the control panel. Both were in pretty good shape. I gave him the devel for not restoring the generator and control panel and having it all back in one unit. If I would have known he lived so far away I would never have driven all that distance. He lives north of Interstate 70 past Herman. We didn't get back to Rosebud until about 11:30. Of course I had to look at every thing he had, piles of engine related "things". He even had a two cylinder Cooper Bessemer air compressor.

He had two barns full of "STUFF". He must have had three or four Model-T Fords in various stages of decay.

I didn't think you could miss my Delco-Light display. I don't like to brag, but I will anway, you don't often see that much Delco-Light "stuff" all together at the shows. Some folks have trouble keeping all those Delco-Light units running, I have some of that myself.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois