Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors, trains and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Case 1/3 Scale Traction Engines

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 567 times

Old 05-21-2019, 12:28:30 PM
Registered

Default Case 1/3 Scale Traction Engines

In preparation for the steaming year I've been going thru my valve gear linkage and adding hardened bushings or bronze bushings and new pivot bolts and reworking the slider block and reworking quadrant notches with the spring loaded selector hardened. Anyway the point of this is that if engine is built with the Ralph A. prints a guy might want to start modifying the engine parts for more durability since the run time at the shows tends to be 8 to 12 hrs a weekend and say 4 to 8 shows a year the wear really adds up.
So far the modifications have been bronze bushings in the front wheels and a zert , bronze bushings in the eccentric and a zert , bronze slide block and a zert, bronze bushing in the pivot for guide block and a zert, bronze bushing in the intermediate gear and a zert, the clutch has bronze bushings and a zert.
In my efforts to try to tow a house at forrest city all this lost motion in the valve linkage from wear really showed up in lost horsepower.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrsbrbnk For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2019, 08:56:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Case 1/3 Scale Traction Engines

Hi

I sympathize with you I am just going over my 2" Case which has seen heavy use for over 25 years. They do wear out but it would have been nice to just replace bronze bushings. I am doing a lot of what you indicate, new pins, bronze bushings, etc. In my case I needed to redo the steam port face on the cylinder. See my post and pictures http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...ic,9084.0.html

I need to make a new eccentric and re-machine the strap. Once done it should hum real nice.

BTW what are you using for the slider block, mine is some sort of plastic that is really hard but worn out from lots of use.

Good Luck with the project

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob N For This Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40:24 PM
Registered

I used a hard bronze I think when I need to replace the guide block I'll use some hardenable steel to replace the iron
Old 05-24-2019, 06:41:28 AM
Subscriber

Could you post pictures of the wear points. A lot of the linkage don't have a way of lubricating. I have been squirting a little oil on them hoping it will penitrate. At this point I can see problems with wear thinking I can minimize it with a little extra attention. Eventually I will probably have some of the same issues to deal with.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:17:02 PM
Registered

here's a couple you can just see the hardened bushings on the quadrant lever
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2572.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	335485  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrsbrbnk For This Post: