Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Linde 225 mig

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 6272 times

Old 07-11-2014, 10:01:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Linde 225 mig

I picked up a mint looking Linde 225 mig welder for $200. at the auction I was the only bidder. At first I thought "oh great I got a POS" But I got it home and got the beast off the truck and into the shop. Took the spool off the burned out miller and fed it into the linde. After a bit of fooling I got it to work. The contact tip was put in with a pair of vice grips, I got it out with a little work the tip adapter was toast. I called around and found a used one. It has a MT 200 torch which was standard with them I found.

Fast forward this welder rocks! It was built in 1984. It puts down a nice weld, better than the Miller 210 that I have used for years. There is some real heat with this thing. Although I cant find a lot of info on it other than L-Tech Then Esab owns them now.
6.0 DJE X 1
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23:49 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Linde 225 mig

The industrial welding supply beasts of 1970 through 1980 are awesome. I'm not immediately familiar with your Linde, but through the 3-phase conversion threads you'll see, I've been inside quite a few industrial welding supplies over the past 8 years or so, and I CAN tell you that Linde, Airco, and others frequently sourced their machinery from other manufacturers. The most frequent sources that I've seen, tended to be either Miller or Union Carbide... the former being very obvious, and the latter being strange in my opinion... as Union Carbide probably sold more of their machines to rebranders, than with the UC nametag... but they proved themselves capable of getting a good product built.

Anyway, the ownership change probably scuttled most of the original documentation, but you might find that the diagrams are still adhered to the inside of the machine covers. They're usually not too complicated- you have a primary power transformer, with tapped primarys for voltage input selection, then a rectified output that goes through some sort of power control method (sweeping across contacts, or a buck/boost winding), and typically some slope inductance or resistance... and if it's really 'late model', it may have SCRs in one half of the rectifier deck, so it can control it's own output without having to fuss with a mechanical contactor. Finally, there'll be a low-voltage power circuit for controlling the machine, and interfacing with the gun controls and feeder.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:06:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Linde 225 mig

I have been using the Linde welder the last couple of days and it will weld thru 3/8 plate with little trouble, the more I use it the more I like it!
6.0 DJE X 1