Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Gilson Engine-Ignition Questions

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 359 times

Old 07-03-2019, 04:08:56 PM
Registered

Default Gilson Engine-Ignition Questions

I recently inherited Gilson engine from my father whose name, by the way, is Gilson Riecke.

It has a buzz box on it which appears to be fairly new.

Here are some pictures.

[IMG]http://www.swanhilltv.org/ignition02.jpg[/I2G]

The box measures 4 3/4 long by 2 1/2 wide by 4 high.

There are three terminals on the side. The left one is connected to the ignition system, the middle one to the spark plug and the right one (without knob) is not used but appears to be a ground. There is another terminal on the other side of the box which is grounded to the engine.

There is a small red light below the spark plug terminal which is lit except when the system is sparking.

On the front is an on/off switch and two terminals which are either to connect a battery or to recharge the battery pack inside or both.

The battery pack inside is labeled
Radio Shack
R/C PACK MAX
Power Index 1600
9.6 volts.

Inside the pack are what appear to be eight AA rechargable batteries but I cannot read the battery size on the batteries.

I powered this unit with a single 9 volt battery, the ones that are rectangular and about 2 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide and about 1/2 inch thick. I did this by making connectors that allow me to plug the battery into red and black terminals on the box.

I got the engine running with this set up but it ran about ten minutes and then died. I suspect I ran the battery down.

The internal batteries did seem to take a charge when I did this.

I hope someone can tell me what I have here. Can I hook a bigger battery to this and if so what voltage can I use? Or do I need to find a way to charge the internal battery pack?

I've posted more information about this engine on the Engine Discussion section.

Thanks

Gary Riecke
Old 07-03-2019, 10:53:24 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Gilson engine-ignition questions

Hi Gary,
Not familiar with that coil but you could try a 6volt bat if you have one handy and see if you still get a good spark. The little 9 volt bat's are probably to small to run a coil for long especially if the old batt pack is still hooked up drawing it down as well, you should be able to get a charger for the old pack?.
Nathan.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: Gilson Engine-Ignition Questions

Eight AA batteries make 12V - each AA is 1.5 V .
So you can use a 12V AGM type sealed rechargeable lead acid battery, or even a car battery .

The trembler assembly looks like it comes from a buzz coil, but is activated by an electromagnet installed underneath the round part of the trembler. Somewhere in the box, there will be a ignition coil of some sort - maybe from a lawn mower or other small engine.

The trembler assembly interrupts the primary circuit which induces a spark off the ignition coil.

It will likely draw about 1.5 to 2 Amps when buzzing.
To reduce the current draw, you might try putting a 3 ohm resistor in series with the trembler connection. The resistor should be able to handle 5 - 10 Watts.

miro