Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

State Highway Scales

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 5570 times

Old 07-18-2014, 09:50:59 PM
Registered

Default State Highway Scales

When you fellas are loaded do you pull in to the state scales when they're open. I have a 1/2 ton pickup and pull a 16x7 enclosed trailer it weighs 3400 empty I'm not legal empty the way my pick up is registered. Haven't been bothered here in Vermont. I don't go in but I know if they wanted too they could come after me.

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 10:11:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Scales

We pick routes to avoid scales when we have a trailer on. Uniformity of surrounding states and their interpretation of US DOT rules can be challenging.Check out what they require prior to traveling.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37:38 PM
Registered

I'm e road truck driver know all about going around scales !! Trouble now they have roving patrols and stop you anywhere . Just a pain in the you know what.

Ronny
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24:27 PM
Registered

It is getting worse and worse. In the drag racing world I'm involved in they are really cracking down on trucks/trailers. Buddy got popped in PA with dually that was under plated for the trailer(he was running non comm plate).

Ohio changed their scale signs to "commercial trucks", so I pass on by. With a small enough trailer I would not worry much.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15:59 AM
Registered

In Vermont New York they set up in rest areas and it says truck inspection all trucks I asked a DOT fella when I going through with my commercial vehicle and he said technically a pick up is a truck and they are supposed to go through but we all know they don't bother pickups unless they are loaded with so much there dragging on the ground.

Ronny
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03:16 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: State Highway Scales

Here is something to think about.... what is the definition of a "truck"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Krummel For This Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52:36 PM
Registered

next time you 're on the road in a car or unloaded pickup stop at the scales and just ask what is the protocol. it will only take a minute and you can get all your questions answered.

now I would not do this with a loaded truck and a bunch of questions.

I stopped at the scales on the interstate near me. got questions answered.

officers on duty were helpful. I plan on stopping again for another question I have.

here in Georgia a lot of things have change for personal trucks beginning 1/1/14. I see lot of 3/4 ton trucks with dot numbers now. any 1 ton with a 10 ton gn needs a dot number. farmers are included in all this.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,432 Times in 930 Posts

read your regs. In my state, a dually in non-commercial service is allowed to have regular non-weight based (car) tags, as all RV's regardless of size. Don't run an underweight tag, because then you are stealing directly from the DOT man's wallet and now he's gonna nail you for sure!

-MOST- areas seem to be concerned with commercial service. So if you do get pulled over, remember your answer to any questions about what 'cha hauling sound like nothing commercial. "I bought this because I am a collector, and I do NOT sell ANYTHING" (buy and sell=commercial). "Everything on this trailer is mine" (haul for others=commercial). "I won a ribbon at the show, nothing we ever win has any monetary value" (win cash or valuables=commercial).

I'd avoid them like the plauge, never pull in, act dumb if they chase you down. That will probably fail someday, but at the same time, I've heard of bored scalehouse peeps flagging people over and going over them with a fine tooth comb, when they could of went by and never got bothered.....
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,514 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
read your regs. In my state, a dually in non-commercial service is allowed to have regular non-weight based (car) tags, as all RV's regardless of size. Don't run an underweight tag, because then you are stealing directly from the DOT man's wallet and now he's gonna nail you for sure.

My buddy owns a trucking company in St. Louis, he said that fine for over weight on the license is no where near as expensive of a fine as being over weight on the axles.
He said a local concrete company used to just get 12,000 lb. plates on there concrete trucks, IF they would get caught the fine was not that much, thats when they would have to get the right plate for the truck. They were just out a small fine for the wrong plate and on all the trucks that they did not get caught on they were money ahead. Of course they were hauling local and did not cross the scales.

Steve
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA D8 2U View Post
next time you 're on the road in a car or unloaded pickup stop at the scales and just ask what is the protocol
I'd advise against trying that in California, from what I've heard they will fine you for pulling into the scales if your not supposed to
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
I'd advise against trying that in California, from what I've heard they will fine you for pulling into the scales if your not supposed to
from what I've heard you're right about california if you have out of state plates. I will never drive my truck in that state.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:45:17 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,214 Posts

I have hauled commercially in 46 of the lower 48. I don't think I have ever had to stop at a weigh station in Vermont but I don't think you need to stop with just a pickup and a trailer under 5 tons. There only a couple of states that require pickups to get weighed. Maryland requires all trucks over 5 ton GVW to enter the stations and they will chase you down if you go past. Nebraska is another, they require all pickups with trailers to enter weigh stations, commercial or not. Pickups do not weigh in CA, even commercial, but if you have a flatbed on your 1 ton truck you have to weigh but if you have one of those big medium duty trucks with a pickup bed and gross 30K pounds you do not weigh because it has a pickup bed on it.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:25:13 AM
Registered

The other day in PA was going north on 81 and saw a Dot messing with a dually with an old Farmall on the trl it was on south side so I don't know if he was caught idling or what. I'm retiring next year at this time Just sick of the BS in the trucking industry.Oh by the way can't idle over 3 minutes in Vermont lights stay red that long at some intersections !!!

Ronny
Old 07-25-2014, 09:06:06 AM
Registered

Mostly I use my trailer here in Nevada and California. The weigh stations tend to have signs that say "no pickups". The problem amateur racers have is the prize money = commercial and hauling fuel without a hazardous cargo sign. A couple of gallons for your antique engine is one thing but a 55 gallon drum piled among the tires is another.

Another issue is "load creep". My Ajax trailer is legal to 7,000 lbs and it weighs just a few pounds short of that. When going to a show it is easy to throw another smaller engine or two, ice chest, and a few extra bits on there also. Then it ends up about 8,000 pounds. Commercial or not at that weight I am looking for trouble.

keithw
Old 07-25-2014, 11:55:58 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,432 Times in 930 Posts

You should be able to legally haul 110-120 gallons of fuel. Once you hit 1000 pounds you need to tag hazmat and have a CDL.

When I researched weight requirements I was really getting the impression that they don't give a crap what the equipment is rated for, they only care that it doesn't exceed the GAWR/GVWR/GCWR of the roads-they mostly don't care if you damage your equipment, more concern about the road.
The only constant seems you could go to 50 states and get 50 answers...
Old 07-25-2014, 10:06:07 PM
Subscriber

Speaking of race cars and fuel, there have been cases when a racer got a ticket for having more than 5 gal. of fuel in the 22 gal fuel cell of the race car. The fuel cell has all sorts of safety measures..... but is not DOT approved, and thus can't be used to transport fuel on the highways.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,475 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Kunz;1065403]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
read your regs. In my state, a dually in non-commercial service is allowed to have regular non-weight based (car) tags, as all RV's regardless of size. Don't run an underweight tag, because then you are stealing directly from the DOT man's wallet and now he's gonna nail you for sure.

My buddy owns a trucking company in St. Louis, he said that fine for over weight on the license is no where near as expensive of a fine as being over weight on the axles.
He said a local concrete company used to just get 12,000 lb. plates on there concrete trucks, IF they would get caught the fine was not that much, thats when they would have to get the right plate for the truck. They were just out a small fine for the wrong plate and on all the trucks that they did not get caught on they were money ahead. Of course they were hauling local and did not cross the scales.

Steve
That concrete co wasn't Five Star, by chance, now gone, but that is some of the nonsense they would have tried!! The Brown shirts pulled me over one day on 270, had 10yds on a booster load,I just got back to work due to my leg , the idiot that drove my truck let the crete build up in it, I ended up with a ticket 8,500 overweight, 2,000 on the tire ratings! The tire ratings I never knew about, and was a little scary after that, that was probably the last one, but have several more from 2,000. to 5,000 on my record , they paid for the fines, and yes I checked all that before they folded up. Knew of one guy that was on vac and got pulled over for something, that had got a overweight ticket, they somehow forgot to pay it and he set 2 days in jail on his vacation , until they took care of it, and got paid for it too!!!! One thing you never want to do is pull out in front of a concrete truck or do something stupid like trying to cut him off, or you just might get run over, after some of the nightmare stuff I seen not only at Five Star but others locally, one begins with a K, and probably the norm for all of them, in the 80,s and 90,s was real bad with the brakes the trucks had then...... So far I have got by with 6,000 on my F250 and the 14 ft flatbed trailer, all though I used to have 6,000 local on them when I noticed it at the Lake of the Ozarks with a overhead camper and 20ft Wellcraft I did go to Beyond local now, I try to make sure everything is tied down good , and not draw attention to myself. Mineola Hill on hwy 70 when I came back from Macon Mo told me I was REAL heavy , had a 6 United and 21/2 31/2hp on front, about 45mph was all I could get out of her....

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 07-31-2014 at 02:28:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 01:44:39 AM
Subscriber

When you reg./buy yearly tags, Ask the people at the tag office and tell them that you well be pulling a trailer, and spend the extra $5.00 or so, It is dam well worth it. I run Georgia plates on both truck & trailer, I have had no trouble, Been in about 30 states . & parts of Canada. Run good equmpment AND DON'T OVER LOAD. I run 2 & 3 axle trailers with brakes on all axles and proper size & length safty chains and crossed. IT'S THE LAW.