Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Stealing at Auction Sales

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 26775 times

Old 11-17-2014, 01:42:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

I have read this post before but never had seen any stealing at any auctions i have attended until this weekend. I went to an auction at Oskaloosa Kansas this weekend which had 3 engines for sale and misc. parts. I was interested in a 2hp headless witte, which was missing the piston and mixer, I proceeded to look around a little bit and happened to find the piston and rod for it in an old shed. I talked to the seller and he told me to keep looking I might find the rest of the parts. I went ahead and took the piston and rod over to the engine which was on a trailer, and went back and kept looking. I finally found the mixer and valve cage which had the original ball muffler on it. I went to the seller and told him that I found the rest of the parts for it and he told me to put it with the engine. By the time I had gotten back to the shed the ball muffler was stolen of it! There was also a wico ek mag missing,and a. brass carb gone. I had informed the seller about it but he didn't seem to worried about it. I went ahead and bought the engine but it still irritates me about people stealing. There was also some oilers in a box on another trailer which I know 2 or 3 was missing out of that box and a bigger box placed over the rest of them. Funny thing they sold them for choice I got a real good idea who done this but im not 100% sure because I don't have any proof, but the next time I see him at an auction I will be keeping a close eye on him.If I notice him doing this again I will tell the auction service every time I see him at an auction
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karst9 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58:52 AM
Registered

About 20 years ago I was at an auction and was buying off a wagon load and just throwing stuff back under the wagon. Well the old man that was selling his stuff (I think he was going to live with a realative), bless his heart he was gathering the stuff up putting it back in the shed...
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18:52 PM
Subscriber

I am a straight-up guy......sometimes to the point of distraction, but I feel it's very important and when it's all said and done; it's all I have, So........

I was at an auction about four years ago and there we a bunch of various wrenches in a box that I intended to bid on and as that box went to the block, one of the ringmen grabbed the box and a couple of others laying there and away he went. I'm a sucker for tools and I won the bid. No big deal.

A few minutes later a fellow in the crowd starts chirping about his Ford wrench and where did it go........um we all looked at each other and I looked at the ringman and he announced that he may have put it in my box. Wow, when a whole crowd of farmers looks at you like that it can be quite the feeling

I went to my truck and got the box (about the size of a bread pan) and brought it back in. The fellow inspected everything closely while the crowd was silent and proudly held up TWO Ford wrenches!!!!!

Were they his? I have no idea. I didn't really inspect the box in the first place

My point is I guess that I am honest as the day is long and I STILL GET IN TROUBLE.........Auctions are funny places. Oh Yeah; winning bid for the box was 8 bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to midpw For This Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,686 Times in 526 Posts

I was at a sale where there were a lot of box and trays of tools. I was about to leave and looked at the last box filled with tools and there was a set of four old rusty cast steel Farquer wrenches from York PA.

I waited for about an hour until the box came up for sale and checked the box about 15 minutes before. I was the low bidder at $20.00 and they handed me the box and the wrenches were gone.

Fortunately, they only had two boxes left and put them up together and it was worth the price. However, I lost what I really wanted and the auctioneer and his customer lost because I was ready to go much higher for the wrenches.
The Following User Says Thank You to GarysToys For This Post:
Old 03-22-2015, 06:26:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,248 Times in 550 Posts

I didn't go to the auction, but my uncle and cousin did. They went to hopefully buy a couple model As or Ts. But in the middle of the night some one smashed all the windows out.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01:42 PM
Registered

After reading all these horror stories, on top of all the others I have heard over the years, it is a mystery to me why anyone would subject themselves to this sort of misery. I absolutely and steadfastly refuse to go to any sort of auction, ever. In my experience, many of the auction pariticipants are resellers anyway, so I can buy the stuff later in a controlled environment for a small premium. To my thinking the reseller earned every penny he adds to what he paid and I'm glad to pay it.

When I did go to a few auctions, maybe 30 - 40 years ago, something always went wrong. Either the stuff I was interested in was selling for ten cents on the dollar, and I didn't bring enough money, or else I had a pocketbook full of cash and things went for more than they could be bought for new. Or the one item I want is lot number 1087 and they start at 1...

The last thing I ever bought at auction was an old truck, from a police impound auction. I knew the former owner and he encouraged me to buy it. Well, before I got back with a tow truck to haul it away (it did not run) the impound lot idiots had shoved it around with a forklift and damaged all sorts of steering components and holed the radiator. Since I didn't notice this until I got the truck to my shop, I was out of luck. Never again!

I did go (sort of) to one interesting auction, though. A bank foreclosed on a landfill and they were auctioning off all the equipment. They had several old, beat-up D8's and D9's, and I was looking for one, so off I went. There were several bidders on hand when a black limousine with dark windows pulled up. Several short, stocky old guys in pinstripe suits and sunglasses got out and started LOOKING at people. I'm not the most observant guy around, but even i tumbled fairly quickly to the fact that all of a sudden there weren't so many people around as there had been not too long before. I may be slow, but I'm not thick. I headed for my car and got the hell out of Dodge.

Another time I went to an auction with a friend and his kid. This kid had to be the world's youngest psycho. We split up and started looking at stuff. The auction was on a lot right next to a big ditch. It was late summer and the tall weeds and grass in the ditch were tinder DRY. I don't know how the fire got started, but given that my friend got pretty badly singed-up trying to put it out (successfully, thank goodness) I can only guess the kid from hell had some direct involvement.

And I had another friend who liked going to auctions. One day I went by his shop and there was a nice, old but apparently unused gas powered parking lot and lawn vacuum with a 6HP Kohler engine on it. Since this was something he had absolutely no use for, I asked what it was all about. Well, turns out there was one guy who went to a lot of the same auctions my firend went to. Seems this other guy's big thing was to ALWAYS buy the first item being sold,no matter what. On that particular day, when the vacuum was lot one, my friend was in an especially grumpy mood and that dufous who bought lot one every time set him off, and he decided that it would be HE who bought lot one this day. The vacuum sat around his shop for several years collecting dust until it became mine in a many-item swap. That was 40 years ago, and I'm still using the stupid thing today.

But auctions? No thanks!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,080 Posts

It appears you have had a hand full of unpleasant experiences at auctions. I have always had fun at auctions. I enjoy attending them even if I don't win anything. On occasion I see something I don't like but that is true of everything in life. An off color experience at one auction will never keep me away from the next good one. I might avoid an auctioneer in the future if I think he is unethical and I will let as many know as is reasonably possible but I will not stop going. Auctions are fun and if all goes well, I get to bring home some pretty nice items.

Gil
Old 03-23-2015, 11:53:28 AM
Registered

I agree with Gil. Auctions are a good time and to me a fun way to spend a day. I think everyone has had bad experiences at auctions but I'm sure everyone has had a bad experience at a restaurant. That doesn't stop us from eating. There are auction companies I will no longer deal with. For reasons such as shill biding to passing over items. I personally haven't witnessed stealing at auctions but plenty of time has noticed high priced items moved under and hidden under job lot items.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:45:15 AM
Subscriber

A friend of mine was helping at an auction once and the auctioneer tried to sell the same horse three times. They would change the number and bring it back out again.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:27:55 PM
Registered

I call it stealing when the auction co employes keep bumping the bid up on there own toy tractors that are selling