Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln 200 Pipeline Welder

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 18462 times

Old 11-07-2005, 01:02:42 AM
Registered

Default Lincoln 200 Pipeline Welder

I am new to this site, but it sounds like you can help me. I have had my old welder for over 25 years. I overhauled the engine so time ago, It has less than 75 hours on it and runs great. My problem came up yesterday, I had just used it a few weeks ago, The engine starts and runs fine, but I get no spark from the welding leads. I checked at the termenals, still no spark. Can anyone tell me where I can get a .pdf down load of a service/mantenance manual or trouble shooting guide for my welder ?
Thanks
Fred
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33:38 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts
Default Re: Lincoln 200 Pipeline Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-E
I am new to this site, but it sounds like you can help me. I have had my old welder for over 25 years. I overhauled the engine so time ago, It has less than 75 hours on it and runs great. My problem came up yesterday, I had just used it a few weeks ago, The engine starts and runs fine, but I get no spark from the welding leads. I checked at the termenals, still no spark. Can anyone tell me where I can get a .pdf down load of a service/mantenance manual or trouble shooting guide for my welder ?
Thanks
Fred
Fred:

I had a brief look on the internet for Lincoln Welder / Welding and there was a lot of stuff on Abe Books.

I'm at work now and can't sort through it all, but if you want to have a look at this link, you might find something in there:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=on&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&kn=lincoln+an d+welding&sortby=2

Watch out for the word-wrap, that should be one continuous line!

Peter
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02:07 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

Like any generator, open it up and check for broken wires, stuck brushes, blown fuses burned components etc. Lincoln is still in business, so they should be able to help if you can get the model number etc off the set.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00:56 PM
Franz

You can download most of the information from www.lincolnelectric.com

Your problem is common to SA200 machines when they have been idle.
Remove the dome exciter cover
With the machine running at idle, using insulated needle nose pliers to gently grab the brush wire,
pull back each exciter brush about 1/32 inch and let it arc for a few seconds

This will cause the exciter to comeback to life 99% of the time.
Do NOT sand the exciter commutator!!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:28:59 AM
Registered

First of all, thanks to everyone for your help. The problem is fixed! I have owned this machine for 30 years and I am sure I never used it more than 50 hours in all that time. Having said that, Most of it's life it was stored outside but most of the time with a roof over its head. For the past couple of months we were using it out in the pasture and yes the field mice got to me. The red & black wires that go to the exciter were ate into by the mice. They also ate on some on the larger wires but only the insulation. It works great now!
Thanks again for the help.
Fred
Old 12-11-2005, 07:19:33 PM
Registered

reply to lincolin sa200 had one then also it was a smooth machine to run ,if u couldnt weld with it then u just couldnt weld lol, any how i took a piece of card board and let the engine run held it to the ring in the bac got it nice and shinny too it worker great , lookin for another welder
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24:12 PM
bigal

I Had A simular problem with A hobart and it was the brushes. And there is two sets in it. One in the rear and the other ones are in the front which are the exciter brushes. lots of luck and Merry Christmas. Big Al