Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

Sourcing Components?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 335 times

Old 07-07-2019, 11:23:36 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,904 Times in 845 Posts
Default Sourcing Components?

Question, When searching for certain components on fleabay, I have come across electronic parts from Russia and other former Eastern Bloc countries. I am thinking these components are most likely better quality than anything that comes out of China or India. What is everyone else's opinion on sourcing hard to find parts from the Eastern Bloc countries? For ex, I needed 1M ohm resistors for a project a couple years ago. At the time everyone was out of stock. I ended up sourcing them from the Ukraine. They seem to be well made and have held up.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 11:46:42 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Sourcing components?

I don't know the answer to your question but why could you not find everything through Digikey?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:20:47 AM
Registered

Default Re: Sourcing components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but why could you not find everything through Digikey?
Ever try to duplicate a 1950's/1960's project from old magazines? They sometimes call for no longer produced/scarce parts. Granted, I don't often find something that often from that time period. But once in a while I find something that I just have to see work.

Right now I am working on a inverter based around the 2n3055 transistor. Tesla from the Czech Republic made the KD502/503 which are higher value components. 15 vs 20 amps. 60v vs 70/80v versions. closes thing to the Tesla TO-3 would be the RCA 2n3772 I believe. Most of them are either made in China or Mexico. If I could find a source of American made versions, I might opt for them. Somehow I think those made in the Czech Republic in former times are probably better quality.

The 1m ohm resistors I wanted just were not in stock at the time I needed them. Digikey was sold out as well as Mouser. This was around 2010 in the summer time. I don't know why they all didn't have any stock? I notice currently some DC caps of very high values of the screw terminal type are out of stock. I found some old NOS GE caps though.

Robert
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,917 Times in 3,227 Posts
Default Re: Sourcing Components?

The old style components we are used to are quickly going away. I expect that the days of wire lead resistors and screw terminal capacitors are growing very short. I cannot recall the last time I saw a new US produced 2N3055.

I have seen some of the Russian components and they appear to be of good quality to me. Essentially, the source of components for vintage style projects is already "someone's basement, somewhere" instead of via commercial vendors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

At the moment Russia and former soviet block states make the best tubes still available.... until you get up into the KW+ region. Think Eimac still holds title there. Think you can still get NOS Nixies from Russia as well.
Doc
Old 07-08-2019, 07:35:06 PM
Registered

Until our fearless leaders piss them off too much.

Those big DC caps can be found in those inverter AC units like those common in Australia. The IGBT packs from one of them is another tempting project.

Robert