Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Separating engine from welding generator

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 19381 times

Old 10-26-2008, 12:10:38 PM
Registered

Default Separating engine from welding generator

Hi everone ,Even though I'm do mechanic work I've Never split a welder before. I have a Lincoln SA 200-F163 ,1969 model that I have to put the rear seal in and I need help on how to seperate the engine from the welder. I've been to other forums and did searches but can't find any thing.I guess typing it in wrong. I have the overhaul manual for the continental engine, and the diagram of the generator I can't find material on how to split them. Do they have dowel pins or a taper on the shaft? I've wigglied the engine around to see what would happen, but didn't pry to hard to break anything. So I'm asking the professionals to help this newbie into welding for help I thank yall for any and all advise
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Separating engine from welding generator

not saying this is the answer! but maybe if you are able to drop the pan and the rear main, on some engines it is possible to slip/pull in a new seal
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for answering Gene, but I've done that thinking the same thing,But being a rope seal I,ve always pulled the crank to install because of the need to press the rope into the groove. I know of some older chevys with half seals that you can slip in that way.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08:29 PM
Registered

Howard
There is a special tool to install these seals; just remove the bearing cap. You will find that tool at auto part store.
If you want remove the welder assembly from the engine, disconect battery ground wire. If a magneto is used , remove spark plugs wires on spark plugs ; Look throught generator air outlet grid, you shall see bolts fixing a steel flexing disc to the flywheel. If so, lift exiter and generator brushes, cut three ribs of air grid and remove screws turning engine at each bolt. Use proper lifting device. Remove stator bolts to engine. Back off welder assembly just enough to permit installation of wires in two disc bolts holes and stator frame. Remove welder assembly, That's done,
Take time
Rodrigue
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25:03 PM
Registered

or drop it in the middle with a nice big wedge. THat the quick way. Note: not responisible for the smallest chance that it could get wrecked.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47:00 AM
Registered

Most auto parts stores will have or can get a Lisle sneaky pete seal tool and otctools dot com may have a tool also.

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=383

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis27000.html

Even if you do have to later split it shouldn't have to be cutting fins out of housing. This link shows a guy recently splitting one along with some pics.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=18444
Old 10-27-2008, 01:09:29 PM
Subscriber

I changed the rear main on my old lincoln 200 about 10-12 yrs ago, and didn't use the "special tool", nor did I separate the generator fromt the engine. After removing the oil pan, I loosened the mains enough to drop the crank about 1/4 inch at the rear and wiggled the rope around into place. After retorquing the mains I trimmed the excess off with a razor blade. the bottom half was a little easier!!

The welder should come apart fairly easily from the engine after removing the bolts. If it's not buried in the iron pile too deep, I might be able to take a picture of one that is out. I fried an armature a few years back and swapped the flywheel and generator for a later one. I also was able to update to electric start. Nice option.

Rick
Old 10-27-2008, 07:47:26 PM
Registered

I finally got it done. thank you guys for all the help. It was easier than I thought it was going to be. I should of had my glasses on and better lighting I might have seen the retainer holding the rope seal Thanks agin guys for the info.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37:10 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Separating engine from welding generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard H View Post
Hi everone ,Even though I'm do mechanic work I've Never split a welder before. I have a Lincoln SA 200-F163 ,1969 model that I have to put the rear seal in and I need help on how to seperate the engine from the welder. I've been to other forums and did searches but can't find any thing.I guess typing it in wrong. I have the overhaul manual for the continental engine, and the diagram of the generator I can't find material on how to split them. Do they have dowel pins or a taper on the shaft? I've wigglied the engine around to see what would happen, but didn't pry to hard to break anything. So I'm asking the professionals to help this newbie into welding for help I thank yall for any and all advise
if it is a 1969. lincoln welder. contact lincoln electric companyelectriccleveland ohio. that is where they were made. this is there world head quarters. give them the model number. and what size contenental engine it is. and they should have a archieve there that can help you with your welder.