Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Miller welder with Onan Engine Replacing fuel pump with electric

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 16914 times

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46:43 PM
Registered

Default Miller welder with Onan Engine Replacing fuel pump with electric

Hi, I have a Miller welder, AEAS200LE i believe. It comes with an Onan 2 cylinder engine, a CCKA-MS/3848J. I replaced the coil on this unit because it would not fire, then got it running (barely) and it appears that the manual fuel pump is at fault. It will cost about 50.00 bucks to get a rebuild kit just for the pump, so I was wondering if it was possible to put a low-pressure electric fuel pump inline and bypass the old manual one. This would work for fuel delivery, however, I believe it may not work, providing too much pressure to the carb and not allow the float/pin assy. to close completely, causing it to flood out. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what course of action I should take. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 08:53:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: Miller welder with Onan Engine Replacing fuel pump with electric

i did it with a diesel onan in a tv truck also put a inline filter with it the pressure was 4 lbs worked good i say go for it
Old 11-24-2009, 08:56:25 PM
Registered

by the way i also put a gasoline 4 lb pump on a diesel truck medium duty that worked good too right after the fuel filter on it/s way to the engine go for it
Old 11-25-2009, 02:47:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,508 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedman View Post
Hi, I have a Miller welder, AEAS200LE i believe. It comes with an Onan 2 cylinder engine, a CCKA-MS/3848J. I replaced the coil on this unit because it would not fire, then got it running (barely) and it appears that the manual fuel pump is at fault. It will cost about 50.00 bucks to get a rebuild kit just for the pump, so I was wondering if it was possible to put a low-pressure electric fuel pump inline and bypass the old manual one. This would work for fuel delivery, however, I believe it may not work, providing too much pressure to the carb and not allow the float/pin assy. to close completely, causing it to flood out. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what course of action I should take. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Greg
The cost for a rebuild kit and an electric are almost the same. The mechanical pump has lasted 25 years give or take. The rebuild kit is still made in the US and will most likely last another 25 years. If you go with an electric there are two common styles available from most auto parts stores. Low pressure, 1.5-4 psi & a 4-7 psi. You only want to get the low pressure pump if you decide to go that route. Odds are it's going to be imported.

Purolator low pressure model is here:
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...goryCode=3339K

Rated 6000 hours but warranty is only 3 month's.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for the information people, i think im going to try an electric pump. The mechanical pump only trickled out fuel, but the diaphram looked okay in it, but it still could need replacing. I am just looking for a quick fix right now. I have a small low pressure pump and i will try it out today and get back to you. Maybe it will work until i decide what to do for a more permanent fix. I already changed out the gas tank because it came with a metal one, and it was rusted inside, so i put on a plastic tank. Also, we got the machine to run for a while after about an hour of manually pumping the pump and the welder wasnt putting out the right voltages/current. I examined the voltage regulator circuit board and it had some failing diodes, buldged caps, and a blown out cap. So I replaced them and this welder puts out the nicest welds i have ever done. just got to keep the motor going!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56:25 PM
Registered

Okay, here's the rundown. Got a 2.5-3psi 12volt fuel pump. It's not a purolator, but almost identical. Wired it up, fabbed a plate to cover the manual pump hole where the cam worked the lever to the pump, hooked everything up, and it works! Not only does it work, it works WELL! It strikes an arc VERY well and keeps it without too much splatter. I need to clean the contacts on the fine adjustment knob but other than that it's well worth it. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43:16 PM
Registered

Okay, one more quick question. This welder has an outlet for 120v AC and one for about 115V DC. The outlets are identical in that I could accidentally plug an AC device into the DC outlet. What exactly is the DC outlet used for? I cannot think of anything that would run on 115V DC.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06:08 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

Your OLDER saws, drills, grinders with universal motors and no VARIABLE SPEED CONTROL will run from the 110 DC outlet. DO NOT run ANYTHING labeled AC ONLY. If you do you will most likely destroy the tool and the welder. On your fuel pump problem, You could build a block-off plate from the mechanical feul pumps location. In this plate tap a 1/8 inch NPT hole. Instal a hose barb fitting and use a pulse type fuel pump, that you see on many Lawn and garder tractor/riding lawn mowers. I do not think many poeple think it will work but it will.

Kent
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23:58 PM
Registered

Okay, the electric fuel pump is okay, but I had to install an adjustable regulator because it was pumping too much fuel and not alowing the float/pin to close. I can adjust it okay, then it idles FINE, but when you strike an arc, and the engine revs up, it starvs for fuel. SO, I can adjust the regulator for more fuel, but it runs like crap when it's idling but runs great when revd up. Ah, you just can't win, eh? Anyways, I decided to try to repair the fuel pump on this thing, and come to find out the lever/arm rocker is broken! Well, cummins/onan says it's obsolete and they cant help, and i dont know what to do to get this fuel pump working right besides take a chance on eBay buying a used complete fuel pump and hoping it works okay. Anyone have a fuel pump that works, or at least has the part Im looking for on it?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:35:39 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,508 Times in 605 Posts

I might have one. I'll take a look this weekend.

TJ
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16:49 AM
Registered

Great, I hope you could find what Im looking for... sometimes it takes the collective community of do-it-yourselfers and shadetree's to get something when you cant rely on the bigger industry. If you find what I need, let me know what you want for it and how much to ship.

thanks,
greg
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01:19 PM
Registered

Hi Guys, I got a used original fuel pump for this thing and it works great.. but the carb is flooding the engine. I checked the float and readjusted.. okay. Still. So, there are 3 adjustments on this carb. idle mixture, high alt adj, and idle speed. I can get this thing to crank and run, but it is POURING in fuel, and not being aerated? The exhaust is white, and it idles roughly. I have tried a combo of adjustments and cannot get it to do more than that except backfire through the exhaust and carb and burn myself on the pipes. Some direction from here would be great.