Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Certified Data Desktop Computer Problems

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 9177 times

Old 12-21-2012, 09:07:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts
Default Certified Data Desktop Computer Problems

My computer with Windows 7 has quit working and suspect it is due to a recent power outage where the power went off and then flickered on and off about 4 - 5 times, followed with about 7 hours with the power off. Now when I turn the computer on it says "Windows is loading files" and doesn't progress any further.

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to restore function, before taking it to a computer repair shop?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11:50 PM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts
Default Re: Certified Data Desktop Computer

At the next boot start tapping the F2 (F1 for HP) key immediately after starting the computer...keep tapping until a screen shows up.
IF something shows up it will most likely be the BIOS.
If that displays all is not lost and it's possible you may even be offered some boot options.
Assuming no options are available restart and tap the F8 (F2 for HP) key until something happens.
Ideally you will get a boot option to "restart windows with last known good configuration".
If none of the above work the next move is to reset the BIOS.
There are 2 ways to do that but the easiest (not knowing how savvy you are) is to remove the little "hearing aid" battery from the motherboard for half a minute or so, reinstall the battery and try starting again.
Please let us know what happened......or not......
Do you have a Win 7 DVD or only an on system backup partition?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09:10 AM
Subscriber

Craig,

Thanks for your reply and info. Didn't have any luck with the first two suggestions so will try removing the battery from the motherboard.

I didn't receive a CD or DVD with the computer and don't know if there's a back up partition. If there is, it isn't working! In the meantime I still have my MacBook laptop to use.

Bill
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34:31 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,244 Times in 2,495 Posts

If you remove that battery, you might need to be prepared to fill in a few blanks about your system set-up. The time is easy, but the hard drive parameters might be more difficult. Some system set-ups are automatic and some are manual.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:47:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Certified Data Desktop Computer Problems

Thanks Harry for the additional info. I removed the battery and got a different message on the screen but wasn't successful to go any further. My grandson came over with a recovery disc as he has the same computer, but that didn't work either.

Looks like I'll have to take it back to the place I bought it and get them to have a go at it. While they're at it I'll see if they can replace the Windows 7 with Windows XP which in my opinion is much superior. At least then my HP Photosmart printer will revert back to it's original programming and picture sizes. Don't want any of that metric picture sizes sh*t and only be able to print one picture at a time.

Bill
Old 12-22-2012, 02:53:24 PM

Seeing as how NOTHING showed up I'm thinking it's the hard drive........
If anything would have displayed one of the options MAY have been a hdd diagnostic tool.
Bummer......
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15:12 PM
Subscriber

Took the computer back to a branch of the store that I bought it from but their tech wasn't in today. Expect he will call me after he has a chance to look at it, but might not be until after Christmas now. Wondering if a back up power supply (battery) might have prevented this problem?

Anyway, they don't have a Windows XP of any version to install, so will be looking at buying from ebay.

Bill
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04:21 PM

I was an XP hanger oner too, especially after having dealt with a Vista laptop....... , but I played with a WIN 7 desktop for a while and liked how XP'ish it is. I like it so well I bought another WIN 7 license so all three computers run 7.
Not to derail the thread but WIN 8 is going to be a no go for me since M$ has determined the OS for desktops is supposed to emulate that of tablets, cell phones and crap......NONE of which I want on my PC.......

I'm curious to know what the problem is.......
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
I was an XP hanger oner too, especially after having dealt with a Vista laptop....... , but I played with a WIN 7 desktop for a while and liked how XP'ish it is. I like it so well I bought another WIN 7 license so all three computers run 7.
Not to derail the thread but WIN 8 is going to be a no go for me since M$ has determined the OS for desktops is supposed to emulate that of tablets, cell phones and crap......NONE of which I want on my PC.......

I'm curious to know what the problem is.......
X2

Phil P
Old 12-24-2012, 07:52:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
, Wondering if a back up power supply (battery) might have prevented this problem?

Bill
Yes it would have prevented it. We have them at work as power is always surging and flickering and never lost a thing after they installed batttery backup systems.

PS:If you buy one don't get cheap get a good one.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05:06 AM
Subscriber

Got my computer back from the shop yesterday as well as bought an APC (ES series) battery backup model BE750G-CN. Computer tech at the shop couldn't find much if anything wrong but did a system optimization as well as updates and defragmented the hard drive. Got everything hooked back up today and computer is working OK. Hopefully won't have a repeat of the problem now that I've got the battery backup installed. Invoice for the work done was $66 with taxes and another $143 for the battery backup.

Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39:01 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,938 Posts

Bill - 7 is far superior to XP. Seldom crashes, runs faster, and I never got "blue screen of death" on 7. I currently have machines running XP, Vista and 7. Would change the XP and Vista machines to 7 except licenses are kinda pricey.

Now while your machine is working good, suggest you burn a set of recovery discs and keep them in a safe place.

APC 750 will give you enough time to shut down. I have 2 I got from people who got tired of replacing batteries. The problem I and others found is many of the UPS manufacturers overcharge the batteries to get the last bit of run time. This dries out the gel electrolyte, and batteries have to be replaced every 2-3 years. With that UPS, you should have a cable that connects UPS to computer. You can check the battery voltage and set it lower - like around 14.2 from computer.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11:03 AM
Registered

Hi

I live in a rural farming area of south central Florida. We experience frequent power outages. Some are momentary and some last for several hours.

I use my computer to manage some server systems and do records research over the Internet.

I take the standard APC and remove the battery and replace it with a motorcycle battery remotely located. This unit will support the average Dell small business server for about an hour. The motorcycle battery has clear sides so you can easley monitor the electrolyte level.

For home use my wife and I use laptops and the UPS is only used on our Internet system so we don’t loose connection during these short outages.

As for Windows 7 I find it to be far superior to Vista, faster and occupies less of the computer resources while running.

I have a number of clients running XP and as long as their data clerks don’t “fiddle” with the system they are quite acceptable.

Phil P
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the thing about Windows 7 that annoyed me the most was the way it changed how my HP 8450 Photosmart printer operated and changed the picture sizes to metric values instead of the usual 4 X 6, 5 X 7, 8 X 10 etc. I solved that problem by hooking the printer up to a refurbished Dell laptop with Windows XP Professional that I bought when I had an accident with my new MacBook Pro while vacationing in Texas.

I see people still selling new Windows XP versions on ebay and may buy one to replace the Windows 7 on my desktop as it suits my preferences better.

Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froelich View Post
FWIW Windows 8 pro is selling for 39.99 currently
8 has very poor reviews - reviewers say avoid unless yu have and like touch screen.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Bill, we have had unintended shutdowns on the 7 machines - someone kicked plug thing, or electrician shut breaker for it by mistake - no ill effects - on restart, just a notificaton it was not shut down properly - "do you want to start normally or do a system check". I let it do the check.

APC750 will have more than enough time as long as you do not connect printers and peripherals to battery side - plug them in on surge protect only side.
Mine have tags saying recommended by Dell.
You can install the "powerchute" software supplied with the APC UPS, and it will automatically save work and safely shut computer down.

I do not usually keep mine on line -I let UPS charge batteries every month or so, and keep them as a source of emergency power. Use to power computer when power goes out.

Longer outages, I fire up Mr. Onan.

I test them about once a year by plugging in light bulbs about equal to computer load and seeing how long UPS runs. I NEVER test with a computer, for I do not want an unintended shutdown if I can help it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35:27 AM
Subscriber

I probably won't be running the desktop during a power outage as can use the MacBook Pro or Dell laptop on battery. The battery backup should keep the wireless router operating for the duration of the laptop batteries.

We don't have many power outages lasting for more than an hour or two which is good, especially this time of year. The outage that made the desktop non functional was unique in that after the initial loss of power it flickered on and off numerous times before staying off for 7 hours. Still haven't heard what the cause of the outage was, we didn't have any storms in the area that I'm aware of.

Bill
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I take the standard APC and remove the battery and replace it with a motorcycle battery remotely located. This unit will support the average Dell small business server for about an hour. The motorcycle battery has clear sides so you can easley monitor the electrolyte level.

Phil P
For those of us less computer savvy, could you go into a little more detail on that remote battery hook up.

I have an older computer that died on me a while back, that I suspect maybe the backup battery went by-by, though it may have had other problems as well. Since it is already dead anyway, I might be interested in trying that remote battery hook up and see what happens with it. Right now it's just setting in the basement collecting dust.

All I've ever done inside a computer before was replace the modem several years ago, which ended up being somewhat easier than I envisioned it being before starting on it, but I was still a little nervous about trying it beforehand.

Probably not worth messing with as it has the old "Windows ME" in it, but it would still be nice to bring it back to life just to recover all the pictures I had stored in it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
For those of us less computer savvy, could you go into a little more detail on that remote battery hook up.
Hi

I am referring to the UPS unit not the computer. The Uninterruptible Power Supply is a battery driven unit that converts 12V DC to 110 V AC. They have a gel cell in them that normally only last long enough to shut down the computer without loosing data. I locate the motorcycle battery out side the unit in a plastic case so any acid spill will not damage any thing.

This is not inside the computer.

Phil P
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Thanks.

That makes more sence.

I knew there was a 'back up' battery in the computer, but it seemed a little too convenient for it to have been 12 volt. Just another example of my 'computer illiterateness'

A friends sister has one of the 'UPS' back up power supplies hooked up to her aquarium pump. I'll have to pass that on the her, as she gets frequent power outages. So.... at least I learned something usefull for someone else.