Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

How to repair and build up bolt holes?

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 14935 times

Old 02-10-2013, 05:39:23 PM
Registered

Default How to repair and build up bolt holes?

I watched a man on you tube cut out a broken easy-out out of a turbo. He completely grinded out the entire bolt hole and then filled it in with some sort of brazing rod and a acetylene torch.

My question is what do you think he was using? The metal surrounding the bolt holes of my drawbar have been busted out and I'm looking to fill in the area, drill, and tap.

It looks like someone stripped the hole and drilled it out for a larger bolt, but it left too little metal and busted out the bottom of the rear end. See attached photo. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	157688  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: How to repair and build up bolt holes?

I read of a real good way for welding up drawbar holes and other worn equipment a few years ago using carbon rods centered in the hole and then welding up around them with an arc welder. When you're done welding, simply pop out the section of carbon rod and you have a new bolt hole.

I don't remember the source off hand, but an Internet search would likely provide several for obtaining different sizes and shapes of carbon.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Guess I missed the part where you said you needed to thread the holes, and hadn't looked at the picture yet. That option may not be the best in your case.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,125 Posts

Are there any other holes around that you could bolt plate to, drill and tap it. I don't think you will be successful welding, drilling and tapping. Any arc weld is going to chill without preheating leaving iron too hard to machine. An option may be to weld a stud in the hole.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02:34 PM
Registered

Thought about studing it, trying to make it look original

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Found part 1 of the video........check it out
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50:50 PM
Registered

Have you thought about welding it up. I use a piece of flat copper bar and clamp it to the work piece. Weld does not stick to it, so you can back up a hole or weld and edge and make a square corner. Best to weld it up solid and redrill the hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith B. For This Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00:17 PM
Subscriber

You could weld the correct size nut into the hole and then grind top and bottom flush. You might have to make the hole a little bigger or grind down the edges of the nut to make it fit.
Just another Idea. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01:09 PM
Registered

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-npwLSJz7o

Try that, I guess I got ahead of myself in my last post.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

This forum is great, I appreciate the ideas. I have not welded much so I'm looking to learn here.

So as I understand it, weld will not stick to copper? If I fill in the hole with weld will the metal be workable? Isnt a weld extremely hard to drill?

I like the welded nut idea. I did have an idea of cutting the old bolt head off, welding it in then drilling and tapping into the old bolt.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51:24 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,252 Times in 355 Posts

Keith is right about the copper bar trick. I have a piece of bar 3" x 3/8 x 12" long It is useful for all sorts of welding, especially when building something up. As Keith says clamp it on and fill the hole.
Merv.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45:18 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,125 Posts

If you think you are going to weld and tap a hole, try it on an old piece of cast first. When you arc weld to cast it heats up to the molten point and cools immediately, you now have chilled cast iron, it's harder than carbide. It doesn't matter what rod you use it's the cast that's not machinable. The only machinable repair I know of is acetylene welding with cast iron rod, this requires preheating the entire casting to 1000 degrees or more, what you are doing here is recasting the metal, after a slow cool down it will be just like the rest of the casting.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34:01 AM
Registered

I do a fair bit of cast iron repairs. For hole repairs like that I drill oversize to get clean metal. Fill the hole up with mig weld.I use a 60/40 copper nickel alloy wire. No hard spots. Its expensive but works well. For steel holes drill out as before. Use copper underneath and plenty of current and fill it up with steel mig.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Freeman For This Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

Bust open old flash light batterys that are NOT alkiline.They have carbon rods in them.
D cell is about 1/4 inch.AA and AAA are Small but could be used for small jobs.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30:43 PM
Subscriber

machine a piece of carbon to fit the hole and put it in the hole and BRAZE IT!!! Then you can take the carbon out and have the hole you need. You can even cut threads in the carbon so it threads into your threaded hole. But weld it in with BRONZE!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Langes Machine Shop For This Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,440 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Freeman View Post
I do a fair bit of cast iron repairs. For hole repairs like that I drill oversize to get clean metal. Fill the hole up with mig weld.I use a 60/40 copper nickel alloy wire. No hard spots. Its expensive but works well. For steel holes drill out as before. Use copper underneath and plenty of current and fill it up with steel mig.
How about using an oxy torch with Nickel-silver flux coated brazing/welding rods?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27:06 PM
Registered

Yes,that would work but the nickel/copper has a few advantages. It has a strength around the same as mild steel. I don't think the silver solders would although I don't know for sure. The other advantage of the MIG is that not much preheat is needed. You can weld cast with it quickly and without the risk of cracking as would be the case if the whole area becomes red hot.
For parts that can be brazed easily I have years ago built up large parts to be machined with Nickel Bronze gas welding rods. It was tough material and was actually harder to machine than mild steel. I used it on Caterpillar loader rear axle trunnions. They were a type of SG iron that was not weldable with steel rods or wire.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09:05 PM
Registered

In the photo, the material looks like cast malleable steel... I would cut the whole mess off and weld another piece in its place with the holes already drilled and tapped.. If the metal IS malleable, weld the new piece on with Blue Max S/S rod or S/S mig wire... A repair is not always the answer...BOB
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21:09 PM
Registered

Pictures speak a 1000 words.....Photo #1; Grinding/cutting section to be replaced. Holes "Worn" to elongation... Photo #2; Section Ground/cut out. Also showing 1 hole of original threaded hole. Photo #3; Pre machined steel block welded in place using "Blue Max" S/S rod... Bob Phillips

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

This dinosaur has not yet learned to "attach"!!!!!!!! Bob Phillips