Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Myrick 4hp

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 3048 times

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58:59 PM
Registered

Default Myrick 4hp

Picked up my new project on Thursday a 4hp Myrick starting working on her this afternoon it seems to be in pretty good shape removed then intake on it and what I can see of the bore it looks really good.
I have a couple of questions how do you remove the hot tube chimney I was try to remove the tube for burner and it was almost rusted through and it broke off I'm pretty shure I can get the broken pieces out by cutting it in pieces I hope also how and what do you lube the main bearings the cups are packed with grease at this time any info or tips would be greatly appriciated it looks like it has a brass rod also it's serial #1128.
Hope to get her running soon hot tubes are new to me so I have a learning curve ahead of me.
Ok I wanna really thanks two people Bill for working with me in getting the engine and finding someone to transport it to michigan and Butch for transporting hear and holding it till I could arrange to get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	178043  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19:46 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Myrick 4hp

Welcome to the Myrick owners club There are several experts here but I am not one of them. I just happen to own a couple. The chimney is held fast with a set screw on the opposite side from the burner opening. Mine both have a square headed bolt there. Heat will likely be needed to get the set screw/bolt free and it should lift off with some wiggling to lose the rust. I lube the mains with the same 30wt oil I use in the oiler and rod.
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53:17 AM
Registered

Welcome to the club! Do a search for Myrick Eclipse here, I know there have been several discussions within the past few years about these engines. Lots of detail about proper, factory correct gas plumbing. See if they answer any of your questions. Also, search youtube. Lots of good videos showing these engines in various forms of restoration and condition.

Brass rod indicates an older engine, as does the crank on the flywheel spoke (vs the rim).

Engine looks like its in good shape, wont take much to get it going!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike G For This Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys Ive been looking at the fuel setups and have started building one. Need to put something under it to role it around the garage first. Removed the intake on it and looked into the bore with my scope and it looks suprisingly good in there still might remove the head and check the rings and a few other things there is a broken bolt on exhaust lever so far everything has come loose hope I can get it out with out to much trouble.
Would like to find the rest of the clutch assembly the outerarm and engagement coller.
Dave
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23:55 PM
Registered

You got yourself a nice engine there. Bill is a great guy, Ive delt with him before.

Here is a link my eclipse http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119485
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonah Close For This Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 08:23:20 PM
Registered

Seen your setup really liked watching the video of it I've been after a Myrick for sometime but was always a day late and a dollar short.
The Following User Says Thank You to turnwaldw For This Post:
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47:19 AM
Registered

Welcome! I also have a 4hp and I'm in the same boat of needing some help with the hot tube! I got mine out and had it loaded on the trailer to go to a show and figured I should try running it before I leave. When I tried starting it I noticed that as I cranked it over the burner flame looked like it was going out. The more I turned it over I realized that it was the compression blowing the flame out.

I didn't tear into it yet, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some help here on the stak to solve my problem.

Good luck on your project!
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Hartz For This Post:
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16:03 AM
Subscriber

Myrick fans and wannabes I just posted in the site live auction section for a sale of interest near Clarion Pa. Nov 2. 4HP Eclipse and other O.F. goodies. (sorry if this breaks any rules)

I will be going right by on my way to Punxy for another auction.
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03:47 PM
Registered

Adam,

Sounds like the threads around the hot tube and its bushing could be deteriorated. I also had the same issue, however not quite bad enough to blow the flame out. I made a new bushing using a 1/2 NPT SCH XXH nipple from McMaster-Carr. The ID of this nipple is small enough to drill and install the 1/4 NPT threads required by the hot tube. The OD is just the right size for the chimney to slide on.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike G For This Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 06:46:26 PM
Registered

It's running ya:not very well but she's running found out after it started the gasket for the intake gage was leaking but I feel better knowing it's running hopefully after dinner I'll try and restart it and hopefully it will run better. But I'll probably have to remove the piston to check the rings and rist pin.
Then it will take me a week to clean my garage up and find we're I sat all my tools at.
The Following User Says Thank You to turnwaldw For This Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53:52 PM
Registered

We'll after making a new gasket and cranking on it for a hour and half just can't seem to get her up to speed when it is running it seems like it is really labor in got run no matter were I put the gas valve at got the weekend to mess around also the hot tube seems to be good and hot.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34:34 AM
Subscriber

When I was learning to tune mine it seemed like either a too lean or too rich mixture would make it labor about the same but a too lean mix will make the exhaust bark very loud sometimes and firing very late sometime firing about the same time the exhaust valve opens. While a rich mixture will also give weak hits but the exhaust note will be more subtle. What are you using for regulator(s)? How are you feeding it? Single or dual feed? A tube that is only marginally hot will also make it a tuning nightmare! Doing Paul Gray's burner mod was like a miracle cure for mine, plus it doesnt blow out in a breeze.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49:11 AM
Registered

I,m running seperate tanks and a BBQ regulators on both lines the tube looks nice and red to me but this is my first hot tube engine the tube its self has some insulation in it also.
My setup is I hook up to a 30 inch 1 in pipe then up to my 3/8 pipe to the intake my valve isnt a needle valve just the more common brass handle valve.
Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23:09 AM
Registered

Well after some thinking and luck she is now running and looks to run pretty good but I could be wrong since this is my first hot tube engine. Found there was some kind of check valve in the end of my propane hose that was shutting off the fuel when it fired I removed this and she started right up runs but I can hear the vent hiss on the regulator hope this ok or might have to change something to keep it running so all in all a good night.
There are a couple things left to do anchor the fuel lines and straighten the fan shroud to keep it from hitting as it runs also can somebody tell me how to drain the oil from the crank area and how does the rod bearing get oil to it.
Thanks for all the help guys and any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Dave T.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Z-5...ff2lZc_SdaSu2A
Old 11-09-2013, 08:16:20 PM
Subscriber

Dave- she is running nice. If you put a weaker spring on the governer weights, you should be able to slow it down. The down side of slower running is it is more prone to knocking if the hot tube is too hot. The lower rod end is oiled by a pocket in the rod above the bearing. The waste oil is drained by a small hole about 6-8 inches below the governer side main bearing on the base; yours is most likely plugged. Also remove the cylinder oiler and with a flashlight, roll the flywheel over near bottom dead center. You should see a small hole in the side of the piston, this is for the wrist pin oil tube. Poke a piece of wire in it to make sure oil will get to the wrist pin. Welcome to clan Myrick!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36:56 PM
Registered

Thanks Paul love your website for the engines it really helped me out on some things was out in the garage finishing the fuel lines up still have to figure out how to mount the one inch tube to keep it stiff and not bouncing around also my fan shroud was pretty rough so I removed it to see if I could fix it I think I might have to find a tin smith to see if I can't have one made for me.
Thanks for the info on the drain and the rod I didn't empty the cranks area so you can guess I had a mess under it after I ran it and my small cart that I put under it didn't work to well.
I also wanna thanks the rest of the guys who gave me advice thanks Harry for a great site with out the sight I would of never could got my engines running.
Dave T.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13:18 AM
Registered

Ok I started tearing down my engine the other day to clean it up and check all the bearings over and tighten the wrist pin can anybody tell me if there is any marks on the cam gear. I wanna remove the cylinder and crank to clean them up some but dont want to remove it till I know.
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31:03 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Myrick 4hp

heres a video of my 4hp myrick eclipse, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNs...B366LiH75qMtng

Thanks
Carl Hargreaves