Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

cast iron weld rod

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3339 times

Old 04-09-2015, 08:23:03 PM
Registered

Default cast iron weld rod

i am looking for advice on arc welding cast iron weld rod. i have had good luck in the past with an allstate super 4-60 rod. the rod i have been using is vintage 1980s, i am looking for a weld rod available today, that is the same as the old super 4-60 i had. any help?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00:24 PM
Registered

Default Re: cast iron weld rod

Well cast iron rod is not cast iron it is 99% nickel rod so a little different but works ok on some items.

I like the liquid arc brand over others as it seems to have a better flux and flows a little better giving a better weld finish, a few years ago when i was doing it they where about $2 a rod or about $300 a small box so not cheap.
Did a quick google search but didn't find them maybe if you spend some time googling you will find them.

Other methods of welding cast iron is by oxy actelene and preheating the job this uses a true cast iron rod and matches the base metal.
found these on the boc site in australia but there may be a source where you live if not try them.
here, you will need the cast iron flux as well.

http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-boc...s-welding-rods

hope that helps
Old 04-12-2015, 07:18:29 PM
Subscriber

Try Lincoln Electric SOFTWELD 99Ni CAST IRON WELDING RODS. Easily available at any Lincoln distributor. The cast iron needs to be clean inside and out. Cast iron is porous and if old, holds a lot of oil etc. The welding will bring this oil out and mess up the weld. You may need to heat the part up to boil out this old oil first. You will also need to preheat the iron before welding. Immediately after welding peen the weld bead to stress relieve it as it cools.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:57:14 PM
Registered

Is the nomacast welding rod any good?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:11:58 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck w View Post
i am looking for advice on arc welding cast iron weld rod. i have had good luck in the past with an allstate super 4-60 rod. the rod i have been using is vintage 1980s, i am looking for a weld rod available today, that is the same as the old super 4-60 i had. any help?
You can still buy that rod. All-State is owned by ESAB it may be a little harder to find in some areas but still comes from the Hanover, PA plant.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products...oductCode=1001

You just need a very high nickel rod it is extremely ductile so it doesn't crack when welding cast iron. I Gas metal arc braze using CuSi wire did a real nice job on my dads antique gas pump restoration but I've got access to wide range of equipment at work.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57:13 AM
Registered

You can buy Nomacast at Tractor supply and Rural King, under the Hobart name but it isn't a Hobart wire. I have tried a tig wire called E Z weld from a guy in I think wash. or Oreg. It's ok but I was not that impressed... YMMV
Old 04-21-2015, 10:24:27 PM
Subscriber

clean and grind the crack, I pre heat, and stress relieve, cover with insulation till the next day, I have uses Palco 808 about $10.00 a rod . ouch..
years ago used Lincoln rods they worked fine too, all nickel rods are $$$ these days.