Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

threshing machine auction

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4099 times

Old 11-27-2014, 12:44:32 PM
Registered

Default threshing machine auction

Earlier this year I saw in a few different magazines where a collection of threshing machines would be auctioned off. I have no idea where, probably the Midwest. Anyway, I'd like to know the results as we are considering letting dad's late model IH go. Figured this would give me an idea of where to start with an asking price. Anyone know if the results are posted somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2014, 06:34:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: threshing machine auction

We ended up with a red river special and a case for about 500 each.Saved them from the scrap yard. Have some freight in them also, but reasonable.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:00:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Kocher View Post
We ended up with a red river special and a case for about 500 each.Saved them from the scrap yard. Have some freight in them also, but reasonable.
I take it these were from the auction I saw advertised? If so, could you give me some specifics about where the sale was or who the auctioneer was?

Threshers are just not that popular here in N.C. I hate to see this machine go for scrap. It has ALWAYS been kept under a shed. All it needs is greasing and its ready to use. I had one antique club interested but they wouldn't make any offers. I told them I wasn't going to give it away for less than scrap value. Just how bad are these things to haul? I'm thinking the clean grain elevator/weigher may have to come off?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:17:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

There was an Amish sale this summer in Iowa with a lot of working threshers. Amish came from all over the country to bid. I don't have the prices, but I heard things went very high.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

Look at the feeder, right where the grain enters the main body, over the knives if there is a hood, that completely covers these feeder knives, that indicates latter years. A 28" wide cylinder is also the better size.
Next look and see if the transport wheels have roller bearings. If it does have the roller bearings, it is last years of production. Unfortunately they are the only ones of value. Advertise it in Bowling Green, Ky.
If it is not late model and big, but if it is in good shape and works some one would want it ..
Old 11-27-2014, 11:49:52 PM
Registered

I know its an early 50's model, bought it from the original owner. It was made in Canada. He only used it about 7 or 8 years before he switched to a pull type combine. It's a 22x 38 machine, on rubber. We towed it the 15 miles here. I've ran it with a 10-20 McCormick, 12-20 Case, DC case, Titan 10-20, and a 6 cylinder Gibson. Hope this info isn't getting the post way out of category, just figured someone looking here may remember the auction I saw advertised. Thanks to those who've responded!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:52:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

that would be a better one. I see a lot of them go for scrap.The Amish must have steel wheels. They can put them on it. The important thing is it has modern internal componants, (roller bearings). A local show should want it. Do you not grow oats or wheat in your area. If not, demand could be low. Value can be all over the place as they say. Some one may include transpot costs in there mind when bidding. I haul them on a flat bed . Chaining down the swinging componants like the grain auger. 22" is not the largest.. I would post in anotherarea. the one on farm machinery here.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58:58 PM
Registered

This sale was at Jetmore Kansas in September. I think Nixon was the auctioneer and we had demoman haul it on his detach.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:16:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Kocher View Post
This sale was at Jetmore Kansas in September. I think Nixon was the auctioneer and we had demoman haul it on his detach.
I found a bill of sale for that auction, doesn't appear to be the same one. I'll try to see if I can find an old magazine with the ad in it. I believe the threshers were the focal point of the auction.