Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Dick Jones Auction

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 10994 times

Old 04-12-2015, 12:16:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Dick Jones Auction

I was there for both days from start to finish. I was not there for engines but I would say from the prices that they sold for that folks were pretty happy with the condition they were in. The Stickney 1.75 HP sold for 9500.00.

The sheller that sold for 3000 bucks was an early John Deere cast iron sheller.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyfoot For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 02:05:01 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,809 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitandmiss View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but I did call on the one I wanted and they said restored. Not and original or an older restoration.
Which one was it?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:04:32 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitandmiss View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but I did call on the one I wanted and they said restored. Not and original or an older restoration.
Does anyone know what the 2hp. R&V brought? Thanks Bob
Old 04-12-2015, 09:08:16 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
Does anyone know what the 2hp. R&V brought? Thanks Bob
I think it brought 1800
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covert View Post
Did you ever bother calling Kurt to ask him about the quality of the engine restorations or did you just assume they were to your level of satisfaction? I was there and would have called most of them nice restorations. It doesn't sound like I'm quite as picky as you are, but I know if I had a 1000+ mile round trip I would have made some phone calls first. I have zero affiliation with Aumman's but I take offense that you are trying to call them scammers and liars, been to a lot of their sales and have ALWAYS been happy with Kurt and his staff, one of the best in the business if you ask me!
My only experience with them was with the Henry Wilks Auction a few weeks ago and I was very pleased. I thought things were as described and I got some good deals. The auction people were all professional and very helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gampy For This Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:15:58 PM
Sponsor

I looked at the pics they had online and could tell the condition pretty well. I guess if you are worried about paint you will have to paint them yourself. I could understand complaints if they were all broken and welded but by the prices they sold for I would say they were decent engines. I have spent several thousand dollars at Kurt's auctions over the years and he has always treated me well.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:46:02 PM
Subscriber

Anyone have prices?
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil K For This Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 08:11:11 PM
Registered

Here is a link to the prices...........http://bid.aumannauctions.com/view-a...c_location=ufi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babs8070 For This Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,986 Times in 524 Posts

here is link to the engine I had stolen during the auction if anyone comes across it

3/4 hp aircooled Sattley
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145136
CHECK OUT MY ENGINE VIDEOS AT
http://www.youtube.com/user/gasenginetom
Old 04-12-2015, 09:04:06 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,016 Times in 634 Posts

Why would the grist mill sell for $6000.00?
Old 04-13-2015, 12:48:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,830 Times in 154 Posts

I have read the above posts and want to thank everyone for the positive comments. We actually thought the engines in this auction were above average to most collections - and I guess almost everyone else did too! It was really a great auction - the most fun I've had in quite a while and I hope it was the same for everyone else.

I certainly understand the wide definition that people have of the word "restored". We have to explain to sellers or heirs of sellers many times that their "museum quality restoration" is really a purple LB with a Volkswagon muffler. We try to describe things the very best that we possibly can. We use parts, original, nice original, repaint, older restoration and restored. When it is really exceptional (think Lakeside Farms auction) we go on an on about the quality of the restoration.

I will admit openly that we are not above making a mistake. Sometimes things are hard to catalog and photograph when they are piled in dark sheds, one behind the other. The Dick Jones collection was overall, pretty nice engines though. I stand by our descriptions - some were restored as well as you see at any show. Were they perfect museum quality - nope, but we didn't say they were either. Others were listed as older restorations, originals, etc. We posted about 700 pictures total to the website to try and convey what we had.

For anyone to even insinuate that we lied, misled or pulled some kind of bait and switch is just plain ludicrous. I was at the auction site both days from about 6:30 a.m. to dark. It was a big auction, so we had 18 staff members there in blue Aumann Auction shirts - easy to find. No one, and I repeat no one came up and said anything about being disappointed in the engines - let alone saying the kind of things they posted on this forum. If I was going to make those kinds of accusations, I'd walk up and do it face to face! And by the way - no one called us asking about the quality of restorations. There are only two of us that answer those kinds of questions.

First thing I did this morning was to call my only registered bidder from Alabama. That wasn't the same person (sorry Louis!) that posted on this forum. So... I've sent a message to talk in person. We'll see what happens. I take issue with the things he's said. My reputation is very, very important to me so I am quick to defend it. Disagreeing is one thing - saying those kinds of things is another. - Kurt Aumann

We are part of the hobby - I and several members of my staff go to shows, play with engines and tractors any free moment we have and enjoy it as much as anyone. I feel really fortunate to have a job that on most days - I think is a blast! Hope everyone had fun at the auction – it was a fun one for us!

Last edited by Big 4-20; 04-13-2015 at 12:49:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to sign it!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:20:21 PM
Subscriber

Very well said Kurt. now lets see if the guy that said all this is big enough to step up & talk to you about it. I wasn't at the sale , but I had friends that were, & they had nothing bad to say about it.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:22:49 AM
Registered

I would say the prices speak for the engines. I thought the engines sold good . If they weren't what they were described as they wouldn't have brought good money. I bought my 12hp famous online a couple years ago from one of Kurts auctions. I was not disappointed in it one bit and the pictures and description fit the engine. I will never understand why guys will get on a internet forum and complain about something before going directly to the source to do it. I can guarantee if I drove all that way and was not happy someone on the auction staff would have heard about it before I left.

I had a good time at the auction and got a great engine. The auction staff did a good job . Cant wait till the next one I can make it to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs8070 For This Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12:26 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

Lately on the modern internet there seems to be a new thing , Trolls. Some folk who think they can hide behind the key board and trash talk anybody and anything without being held accountable. In the old times if a person slandered someone in a public forum, without documentable proof, they could be hauled into court and held accountable before a judge and settlement made. Or at least made to eat their word in person. For those miserable fools that think those standards don't apply to the internet, think again! I see this again and again on You tube sites more and more. To those I can only add, Get a life, your day before a court may be soon coming. Frank Wurth SR.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 10:30:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

"Miserable Fool" ? Is that slanderous? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14:11 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

Only if that's the name on the birth certificate! Sometimes I really worry about you Harold.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 11:40:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,257 Times in 658 Posts

Frank,

Sometimes???
Old 04-14-2015, 02:39:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

I checked my certificate. Guess I'm safe. Been called worse though.
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:00:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ronning View Post
online pre biding should be closed. live biding should be sat.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

What was the corn Sheller that sold today for $3000. Did it have a power feed?
Corn sheller which sold for $3,000 was one of two made of cast iron. You can see it in pic 570. Third pallet from corner next to building. It was on front of pallet. The round piece lifted up. It was mounted on wooden legs. Zoom in on pic. Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to adzaxe For This Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 09:26:10 PM
Registered

This was my first time attending an Aumann Auction company auction. I was just surprised they could sell everything there in two days and I have never seen a company post over six hundred pictures. I made a point of arriving a day early just to have time to try to preview everything and I conducted my own inspections before I bid. I have attended many auctions and this one in my opinion was fairly represented. My one way was only 1,200 miles if we are comparing distance traveled. This auction was to me an EVENT not just an auction because of quality and quantity. Remember auctions are cheap entertainment unless your hand is the last one in the air!!

I leave my engines in their "work clothes" because to me a fully restored engine today will have a better paint job than it probably had out of the factory. So are they really restored or just reconditioned to meet todays standard of excellence for what has become expected at shows?

The Wiscona Pep followed me all the way to Brighton, Colorado and will remain in its "work clothes" along with my Chase Mfg. Co. engine. Roger White
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adzaxe For This Post: