Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda ew171 auto throttle help

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2463 times

Old 03-10-2016, 10:04:48 PM
Registered

Default Honda ew171 auto throttle help

Howdy all. I am trying to help a very good neighbor that has a Honda ew171 generator/welder that he has on his farm. I finally found this site after many unsuccessful searches...
The problem he is having is it will not go into auto throttle when he tries to weld. (Or when something is plugged into the 110 outlets) It will weld and operate anything that is plugged in when it is running at full speed. It just won't rev up when you try to start welding.
Can someone please explaine how the auto throttle unit works? How does it sense the load? Is there a way to test the actual auto throttle unit? (Without throwing a new $175 part at it and hopin for the best)
The only diagram I had was the one from the owners manual.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	248586
I checked the manual switch, solenoid, wiring, swapped a diode. But that's about all I knew to do.
Any help and guidance will be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2016, 02:27:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Honda ew171 auto throttle help

Acorn-

The diagram shows that the Auto-Throttle Unit has a current sensor with electronics to control the solenoid.

Without more information about what is inside that unit, I would at least check the Auto Throttle Switch with an Ohm Meter, and verify the Auto Throttle Solenoid's coil is not open and its action is not stuck.

The Auto-Throttle Unit appears to obtain power from the Multi-Value Resistor, which is powered by bridge rectifier "A". You might trace the output of the rectifier through the resistor, to see if power is reaching the Auto-Throttle Unit.

Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred M. For This Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 10:43:42 PM
Registered

Thank you Fred for the reply. I went back and double checked everything you mentioned. The switch, solinoid and wires all tested good. I checked the various readings on the Multi-value resistor but without a shop manual to look at the specs, I'm not really sure.
I really wish I could find some info on how to test the 'current sensor' on the Auto Throttle Unint. Any ideas?
My neighbor was willing to buy the part just to see if it would work. That was until I told him the price! $175 is a chunk of change for a Sem- retired farmer.
Does anyone know of a place where you can view a repair manual on line?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:56:28 AM
Registered

There is extensive troubleshooting in the Honda factory shop manual, which Honda only distributes as a paper document. You can buy one direct for $40 (free shipping). Here's the link to Honda's store on Amazon, and they also have one on eBay:

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Generato...keywords=ew171

In the shop manual, it has a brief description of the Auto-Throttle operation:

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
The Following User Says Thank You to robertathonda For This Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 10:50:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
The problem he is having is it will not go into auto throttle when he tries to weld. (Or when something is plugged into the 110 outlets)
I am not an expert, in fact I didn't know Honda used to make wewlder units.

I was reading the manual and there is a switch that turn Auto Throttle on and off. Look on page 15

This is a neat feature. I always imagine my generator is going to blow itself up in cold weather starts at 20 below. It would be nice to warm it up before getting to full speed.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/31ZC2864.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to RancherBill For This Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 10:13:19 PM
Registered

Thank you everyone for your replies. I greatly appreciate them! At least now I can give him some sort of answer rather then just starring at it and scratching my head!
I'm gonna go check it out again later this week so I'm sure I will have some more questions. I think I need to talk him into buying a manual. (Thanks for the link robertathonda)
Thanks again everyone!