Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

GE washer motor and other motor wiring help

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 5105 times

Old 02-03-2016, 03:02:53 PM
Registered

Default GE washer motor and other motor wiring help

Hello my name is Scott and I am new to the group. I am attempting to repurpose a couple electric motors. The first is from my old washing machine. It is the S68PXMCM-1069. The other is one I picked up used. It is GE model 5KCP39PGB668S. I didn't save the capacitor from the washing machine because I didn't know I needed it. I would like to use these motors for home built machines in my garage, such as a disc sander. I would prefer to be able to use all of the speeds on either motor. I purchased a motor run capacitor - 370V / 50 - 60 Hz / 10 microfarad today. I tried to follow the diagram on the GE motor, but I'm not quite following how to wire it up. My thought was to have a separate switch for each speed. As far as the one from my old washing machine, I'm stumped. I've been getting many different ways for wiring and I don't feel like ruining it. I included pictures if it with and without the wiring clip. Both motors have wires only. I hope that all the information someone needs to help me is here or in my pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7058.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	245516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7063.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	245517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7064.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	245518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7069.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	245519  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 06:08:16 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: GE washer motor and other motor wiring help

From looking at the circuit diagram and the third photo, wire it like this:

Your starting capacitor connects across the white and brown.

The white wire from your 120 vacd source goes to the white wire.

The black wire from your 120 vac source goes to any of the other four wires:

- Only one connection at a time!

- Each will give you a different speed.

You need either a selector switch with four positions, or five toggle switches.

Why 5? One for each speed and one master. Shut off the master and then switch on the one for the speed you want. But always three off/one on. Then switch on the master to light 'er up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amax For This Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 07:28:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,898 Times in 1,938 Posts

It appears that the grey motor is a permanent split capacitor motor, most likely from a blower of some sort. What you'll find is that the no load speed will be the same for all speed settings, but the available torque will be different for each one.

The washer motor on the other hand is a pole changing two speed motor- four pole or six pole, and will be essentially constant speed at either of the two speeds. This one in all likelyhood uses a start capacitor, not a run capacitor.

It will require some sleuthing to determine where each wire goes and what it does. It will have a centrifugal switch, and will always start on four poles, even when set to the slow speed (six pole). So there's going to be a few wires going to that switch, but through careful observation it can be determined what they all are.

Keith

Last edited by Vanman; 02-03-2016 at 08:47:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44:50 PM
Registered

Thank you for the replies. I've never wired in a motor with a start capacitor, so I didn't want to blow up or burn something up. I was lost a bit when I was looking at the diagram. I wasn't sure if I just pigtailed the white to the capacitor and neutral, or where it went. I've been digging around youtube, but to find the exact thing has been slow. I will start tinkering with the gray motor and check back later. The power of forums

Gray motor has been run. Vanman was spot on. Appears to be same speed with different torque. I don't see any advantage there for anything I am doing.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:05:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,941 Posts

The motor labeled auto washer is an open frame motor. They are not supposed to be used outside of a metal enclosure. The windings are exposed, and only insulated with a thin layer of varnish. Contact with exposed elements may be quite shocking.

I would have retained the original washer speed selector switch for speed control. A low cost option is to get one off a scrapped appliance that uses a similar sized motor. Look in your local recycling center or in back of a store that sells/ repairs appliances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 10:56:03 PM
Subscriber

You could use a single pole, double throw, center off switch for the two speed motor.

Agreed that if it's used in the shop you'd want to fashion a guard of sorts to keep debris out of it.

Keith
Old 02-03-2016, 11:03:19 PM
Registered

I thought I would have to discharge the capacitor for safety but nothing happened. Well, better safe than sorry!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:40:28 PM
Subscriber

The one on the left is a fan motor as stated above and the capacitor is a run capacitor should be 3 or 4 MFD. The washer motor may or may not have used a start capacitor if so it was in the area of 75 to 125 MFD, not too critical. Frequently the start switch was set up to start with the high speed main and start windings in the circuit. When about 85% of speed was attained the internal switch dropped the start windings out and made an alternate path to the slow speed windings. Thus if the selector switch in the control panal was set to high the high speed windings were energized and if the selector was set to low the low speed windings were energized. Starting direction was determined by the orientation of start and run windings. The fan motor with the first diagram is worthless for almost any application except a fan, it has extremely low torque. The washer motor could be used in other applications, bear in mind that it is only 1/2 or at most 3/4 hp. That is at high speed, low speed will only be 1/3 as much. Best bet is try to find a wiring diagram on a washer very similar to what the motor came out of. Good luck with your project.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 12:13:00 AM
Registered

Since it looks like it will take a bit to sort out the washer motor, I will probably put the grey one to use first. I'm making a small drum sander. I don't see how a 3/4 hp motor would be useless for anything I plan on doing with it. I don't plan on running a large compressor or anything big. Just making small "toys" for the garage. Thanks again for the input everyone.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36:47 AM
Subscriber

The fan motor should be fairly constant speed on the high speed winding, and ought to perform adequately for most applications within its hp capacity.

I have a three speed pole changing motor, like your two speed. It is four, six, and eight pole, and is rated at 1/2 hp on all speeds And what do I have it hooked up to? HA! Just a big fan blade!

Keith
Old 02-04-2016, 01:11:41 AM
Registered

Because the orientation of the motor in the washing machine was vertical, I was considering replacing my tiny drill press motor with it. Sad thing is, I have a 1hp on my exhaust fan I scavenged from a demo job.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35:07 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbys rigginations View Post
Since it looks like it will take a bit to sort out the washer motor, I will probably put the grey one to use first. I'm making a small drum sander. I don't see how a 3/4 hp motor would be useless for anything I plan on doing with it. I don't plan on running a large compressor or anything big. Just making small "toys" for the garage. Thanks again for the input everyone.
Can't see ends, but if it came off a fan, usually fully enclosed and dustproof. That 3/4 HP multi speed fan motor should work fine in applications that do not require a lot of start up torque. Grinder, buffing wheel, table saw.....
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41:47 AM
Registered

Fully enclosed. Runs so quiet I love it. $2.75 for that and $2.80 for the capacitor. I found a wiring schematic that fits the other, but I couldn't get it downloaded properly. I would save the picture but the labels would disappear every time. I find it easier to have a picture to go by when someone explains it to me so I'm "on the same page". I will draw it up and post it if need be.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04:17 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,900 Times in 842 Posts

I've got a 1/2 HP washer motor as a induction generator. Does about a thousand watts. I use for lighting when I don't feel like using the bigger DC generator I built. They are all play toys really.

The same idea can be seen here. The 15HP engine is excess for sure. 3.5 HP would do nicely. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=24036

I blame this guy for getting me hooked on induction generators. http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

If anyone ever turns up one of these washer motors with brushes for 120 volts I would love to get my hands on one from a scrapped machine.

Most of these turn out to be 220 volts and are found in washers in Britain and Australia from what my friends there have told me.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...FYU2gQodjQ8Mkg

http://como-reparar.com/guides/repla...-e-set-motors/

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 02:48:07 AM
Registered

Railroads, some pre WWII washers and refrigerators came with motors with brushes. They were 110 volt AC/DC. As a kid, I salvaged a few off old machines in 1950-1960's, and played with them, much to the chagrin of a neighbor lady, who claimed I blew up her TV.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:31:32 AM
Registered

Here's the diagram. What I will need is where to hook up the capacitor, common, neutral, and switches. For the area showing the start/run, will that need a momentary switch to turn it on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amana wiring for motor.gif
Views:	86
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	245632  
Old 02-05-2016, 03:34:18 AM
Registered

I like the idea of the switch as described by Vanman.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:31:42 PM
Registered

Power - I was the kid who took apart everything lol. My grandma had a clock that wouldn't run when they had a power surge from a lightning strike. Not sure how old I was, but the story goes that I took it apart and reassembled it, making it run backwards lol. Grandma encouraged my curiosity and felt I couldn't hurt it. Mom claims I was five, but she tends to blur some of the facts. Dad says closer to seven.Years later, another power surge from a transformer, and supposedly it ran properly. I think it was more likely someone replaced it with a similar clock and someone was stretching the truth lol. I used to play with electronics rather unsafely as a kid and fry a lot of things. At least these days I can get on the web and get information instead of the poke and hope method lol.

A month ago or so, I was trying to make a worklight using a Christmas tree string set. I wasn't thinking and when I shortened everything for a compact use, I also hooked them up in parallel. It was 1or 2 am. Fried the bulbs with a light and popping show. I even fried the circuit in the extension cord.
The Following User Says Thank You to webbys rigginations For This Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34:51 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,900 Times in 842 Posts

Yep, My interest in electrics started a similar way. Only I tended to get a finger between the blades on extension cords and then found I could not let go of the dang thing. Probably 6,7,8 years of age. Maybe even younger. I just can't remember back then anymore.

I've always been a mad scientist since I was kid. Currently showing no signs of letting up either.

Current project is duplicating this for incandecant lights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyvZGIlHEok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=rwXcO5yBUFQ

This ole site is fun. But I really get my thrills from reading the another power discussion board. "The Field Lines" forums. So many off griding folks over there. The Backshed is another favorite site from australia.

Robert
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54:26 PM
Registered

I've been messing with MOT's since I saw The King of Random use one for a spot welder. Never did get one to work very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to webbys rigginations For This Post: