Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid 25hp needs help

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1296 times

Old 07-28-2016, 09:56:55 AM
Registered

Default Reid 25hp needs help

Hi all, dad just recently bought this engine and we can't seem to make her run like a Reid should. https://youtu.be/IGZ06ga7H8Q. https://youtu.be/IGZ06ga7H8Q heres a vid to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Spark seems consistent, plug is in good shape, it has a regulated gas supply and it gets plenty to the engine. Do i need a stronger valve spring? Should I have an accumulator? Thanks in advance, Jerome
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 01:19:31 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,722 Times in 1,215 Posts
Default Re: Reid 25hp needs help

What gas pressure are you running? The lower the pressure the better. An accumulator might help.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:08:16 PM
Subscriber

Call me. 5133681952. I will help as much as I can. Seen Reid's run with out accumulator. Where are you in Indiana? Bring it to Portland. Got 4 days to help you there.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:48:03 AM
Registered

Not sure of pressure, looks like its got a normal house regulator on it. I will have to put a guage on it to find out, Thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38:21 AM
Subscriber

Yikes, I don't like seeing those starting motors. They tend to destroy flywheels. :-(

Accumulators help but not needed. I make mine out of pvc pipe. Keep in mind that the engine needs to take on fuel. You should not need to have too force fuel into the engine, which is what your doing with this configuration. A house regulator is too much. It's better to have a demand regulator, or what I use is a regulator of an old LP forklift that's adjustable. You want volume, but not a lot of pressure. Make sense?

Also, make certain your transfer valve is set correctly and the copper seals in up inside the valve are seated. This too can make for a hard starting engine.

How is your carburetor set up? Are the air/fuel mixture tubes still in the carb? If so, are they set up correctly? If not, are you loosing fuel to the open areas? Are you dialing in your fuel with a diamond valve? Are you trying to run the engine off of the governor?

How are the main rings? That pony motor seems to be cranking the engine with little effort, which tells me that the rings are not sealing well?

Check all of these areas and if set up correctly, the engine can be hand started with little effort, no matter the size.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22:04 AM
Registered

Tremel, This vid was are first start. I've learned how to start it by hand, and it takes off usually on the first or 2nd try. I will look into the gas regulator, maybe this one is adjustable. I'm unsure of the mixture adjustment. I 've tried adjusting the gas valve in the carb, but it doesn't seem to change anything (possibly a leak to the outside) The ears are busted off the back of the carb where the rods go in, so I'm not sure how to check. It has a needle valve at the gas inlet to regulate flow. And no, it does not run off the Gov. How do you check the transfer valve? What is acceptable gas pressure? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I got a crash course on how to run it, but not how to fix it. Thanks, Jerome
Old 07-29-2016, 09:47:56 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,722 Times in 1,215 Posts

The maximum pressure should be 11" of water but if you can go lower you should. I have an original wet gasometer on my Reid and the pressure from it is 2" of water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 06:43:19 AM
Registered

Tom, I'm in Logansport, I'll give you a call this week. Thanks, Jerome