Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Monarch Governors

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2384 times

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48:23 AM
Subscriber

Default Monarch Governors

I recently spent some time refurbishing a Monarch flyball governor as part of a larger project we have been working on (35 HP Type OC Bessemer).

I poked around the internet and didn't find very much info on these governors, but thought I'd assemble what I could find here in one thread so anyone else interested in these can find it all more easily.

I believe the Monarch is original to our Bessemer, but it looks like they were designed for, and used, on a range of engines from gas to steam.

Attached are two pictures of our governor after I finished working on it. Also a nice ad from the American Thresherman I recently bought.

This is a link to an advertising brochure and parts list for them (starts on page 5 of this pdf).

These governors were also mentioned in a previous Smokstak thread related to Keck Gonnerman steam engines. You can find that beginning on post #558 of this thread.

Finally, this second Smokstak thread shows what I believe to be a Monarch governor.

Seems these units were only used for a couple years right around 1900. I hope you find this information useful.

Also, our governor is missing the emergency shut-off arm and pulley. If anyone has these parts or another one of these governors they are interested in letting go, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_2766.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	179511   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_2768.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	179512   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Monarch Governor Ad.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	179513  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Monarch Governors

Interesting thread, thanks! I had to go check one of my engines to see if I had one too, but it turned out it was a Pickering. My only Bessemer (12 1/2 hp) had a Gardner governor on it. It appears from my oilfield equipment catalogs that at least sometimes the governors were added after the engine was purchased. The governors are listed separately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Ethridge For This Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 02:00:07 PM
Registered

Hi my name is Tim Spacke great cousin to F. W. Spacke from Indianapolis who made the Spacke Deluxe engines and in the teens. Fred was the Owner of the Monarch Governor and Machine CO. in the late 1800's before selling out and moving on to the F. W Spacke Machine and Tool Co. If you go to Spacke.com you will see his obituary... Great job on the restoration. Tim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSpacke For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 03:42:47 PM
Registered

BMyrkle,

Hope you're still reading posts.

I've got a Monarch governor that I've disassembled, except for the base and it's double-acting valve and small stem. The threaded stem rotates independently of the valve, but the two do not separate. They can not be removed from the base, at the bottom either - something solid is preventing their extraction. How should they be removed from the base? I have pictures but can't them to attach to this message.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:46:18 PM
Registered

See pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	274536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg
Views:	39