Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln Welder/Generator

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 20859 times

Old 08-20-2004, 07:59:19 PM
Jim H.

Default Lincoln Welder/Generator

Wife's been after me to get a generator. I want a welder. Saw the Lincoln/Electric Eagle 10,000 welder/generator. Anybody have one of these? Is it any good? Would like to make wife happy by buying a generator (and if I could get a welder!). Let me know what you think. Link on bottom takes you to Lincoln Electric's description of it.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=16779
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2004, 09:24:58 PM
D. Smith

Default Re: OT-Lincoln Welder/Generator

I would think it would be a great little machine for welding, gen-set for long time use, going to eat you out of house and home for fuel. Runs at 3600 rpms. My guess is a gallon per hour or more. D. Smith
Old 08-21-2004, 01:58:55 AM
Franz

Default Re: OT-Lincoln Welder/Generator

May I humbly suggest you look at the line of BLUE products made by Miller. My personal preference is the Miller Bobcat, customer service after the sale is far superior to Lincoln. My personal opinion is that Lincoln has gone long on advertising, and short on service. Reading the information Lincoln provides for this machine they proudly proclaim a 100 hour oil change and 200 hour filter change. That procedure alone should shorten engine life. Also, bear in mind that this machine is built to primarily be a welder, not a generator, and its lifespan as a standby plant won't be as long as if it is used as a welder. There is considerable discussion of machines at www.shopfloortalk.com, a welding board, inhabited by quite a few experienced weldors.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:08:05 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Lincoln Welder/Generator

I have the Ranger 8, the precurser to the Ranger 10,000. It is rated at 8,000 watts, surge rated at 9,000 watts and I've pulled 9,600 with it on a cool day running a 40 amp-240 volt electric heater. Mine uses the same Kohler Command 20 hp engine and has the same welding specs. I've had it since 1998 (new) and have had zero problems and good service. I live where winters are at -20 degrees Celcius as routine, and with 0-W40 semi-synthetic oil in the unit, it has not failed to start at that temperature.

It is a little thirsty for generating electricity, but as a standby unit, it should be affordable.

I have since acquired an Onan diesel DJC for prime power, preferring to save the welder for welding and short stints of power generation. I did that because I have much diesel fuel around, and little gas. In a power outage, I know I've got the diesel oil.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:05:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: Lincoln Welder/Generator

I've got an older Lincoln g8000 that I ran for 4 days during huricane Isabel. It uses about a gallon an hour.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Lincoln Welder/Generator

I can tell you that that unit is a tough cookie. I know of two of them that are in constant use. One is mounted on a service truck and it takes a beating. The other is on a pull trailer and it is passed around like a cheap date. Both take abuse and still deliver when called. Lincoln is not a slouch and Kohler makes an engine for your grandkids.

I have a small 130 Lincoln welder that has a K241P Kohler on it. It is a 1970 model and it starts with one pull. I am not saying it is perfect, but Lincoln has been servicing guys like me for a long time.

I am not saying that there are better machines. That unit will probably be parts friendly in twenty years. Some of the new fancy stuff comes up short while still under warranty. Whatever you buy, remember that all bets are off when the chips are down. Whatever you get, get something that is reliable. Next summer I will be buying a big honkin' welder/ generator. It will be attached to a Kohler or it will not follow me home. The generator part is open to Lincoln or Miller.