Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1881 times

Old 06-15-2019, 09:11:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,173 Times in 342 Posts
Photo Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

A few photo's of my 4 hp Detroit, It has a Sandow tag on it but is still very much like yours. Although it has a mixer rather then a carb. Detroit Motor Car Supply Co. called it a Automatic throttling valve. The outboard pulley and skids are all original from the factory of coarse they have been repainted. This was a factory conversion Marine into stationary. The muffler is reproduction copy of the original. You can see the drip oilers are setup just like the engine in your photos.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2019, 06:31:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Detroit Engine Works 2hp?

John , thank you and also my apologies for the slow reply, its summer and am less inclined to look a the engine , I am looking for an oiler as you suggested and also working to get the existing one apart without damaging it to replace the glass , it seems very stuck. I am in your camp on the finish and may take your suggestion on the brush down with diesel to preserve the patina , although I may clean up some brass parts just for the fun of it and them let them patina themselves again. Again I very much appreciate your help her, I now have spark , and compression , so very close to being able to start, will keep you updated probably as the weather cools down , Martin