Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

Know nothing about HAM Radio

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 781 times

Old 03-17-2019, 06:13:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,732 Times in 980 Posts
Question Know nothing about HAM Radio

as the title says, know nothing but i am curious! i have noticed a lot of these radios have what appears to be to me some sort of scope. i could use a scope, cant spell the scope i am referring to but the old sun tune up machines had the same scope, here is my best try at spelling it. Don't laugh till you pass out! oscilloscope. i am not even going to argue with spell check on this one!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 09:18:36 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,912 Times in 3,222 Posts
Default Re: know nothing about ham

An oscilloscope can be handy at times, but the "scope" on ham radios is a somewhat different function than a typical oscilloscope. Most of the radio 'scopes show signal levels, a sort of visual representation of the signals coming in.

Are you saying that you need an oscilloscope? Or do you need an old fashioned "tune up machine" as used in auto shop 40 years ago?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:24:08 PM
Registered

The display screens you see on transceivers these days can serve several purposes. They can display what used to be actual meters with needles. They can display frequency information or software menu settings. Most are shown with a display of a spectrum analyzer which shows radio signals that are present within a band of frequencies near to the frequency to which the tuning dial is set. A over simplified explanation that leaves a lot of stuff omitted.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04:10 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post

Are you saying that you need an oscilloscope?
I think so, there was a older man here in town that got me very interested and then his health went south. really smart guy! he was using a scope with some sort of power source to check out electronic components on circuit boards. came to find out he taught electronic on the collage level in his past. wish i had ran into him when his health was still good. he didnt treat you like you were a dumbass, made it real interesting and explained things where i could understand it.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:23:53 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,912 Times in 3,222 Posts

Older 'scopes are cheap to buy these days ($50-200), and I'm probably a good 5-6 hour drive from you, but I have a Tektronix T912 that you can have. That said, you can probably pick one up for less than the fuel to get here and back.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49:43 AM
Subscriber

i dont know wayne, what part of Kentucky are you in? may be a good trip for my oldsmobile, heck it gets near 30 mpg. use to drive coast to coast for a living.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:03:40 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Know nothing about HAM Radio

So Tracy... Imagine that a circuit is like a trip from one side of the country, to the other, and the diagram is a MAP. A basic example would be an audio amplifier. To test an amplifier, one places an audio test tone on the input, and then takes a look at it with the scope. Then, step through the circuit- what ends the trip, should somehow resemble what started the trip.... but the incoming signal being a microphone, and the exit signal being a loudspeaker.

The 'scope serves as a method to SEE the waveform as it enters, and then look at the quality of the waveform at each point along the circuit, until it reaches the other end.

The scope also allows you to get a visual representation of the quality of all power sources involved (looking or AC ripple, to reduce hum, for example).

On a HAM Radio system, it's not unusual for the scope to display the quality of 'modulation'. In the case of an AM transmitter, there's an RF oscillator... basically, it generates a tone, but much, much, much higher in frequency than audible... and at some point, that signal is mixed with the audio, such that it can be radiated out through an antenna. The 'scope is usually referred to as a 'modulation monitor'. If for some reason, the audio modulation is being overdriven, or there's a problem with how the mixing occurs, it's usually very visible on the screen.

Sometimes they're just sitting around for the 'cool' factor. Kinda like 'steampunk', but more cold-war era...
Old 03-27-2019, 07:31:17 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,444 Times in 936 Posts

SDR is where it's at, you can tune into a whole band, see exactly where the signals are at, and pick the one you want.

IMHO the non-ham radio shortwave bands are often the most interesting, tho it's dwindling fast. There are only maybe a dozen shortwave broadcasters left in the US.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:06:57 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,944 Posts

Tracy, in your post 1 you say "I could use a scope". When reading your post, it seems you think the 'scope on transceiver can be used for equipment testing and other purposes outside of amateur radio.

For testing and measurement, you have to get a separate 'scope. The 'scope in a transceiver is integrated into it, and measures parameters in the transceiver. It is not designed to be used for anything else. There are no input leads or any way to measure outside signals or perform tests on other equipment.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:37:17 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,509 Times in 605 Posts

Sometimes ya just want to get down really lowwww.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	135.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	331510  
Old 03-27-2019, 05:14:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnanParts View Post
Sometimes ya just want to get down really lowwww.....
? What's there?
Don't have anything that receives there.
It is way below amateur 2 meter band.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:45:30 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
There are no input leads or any way to measure outside signals or perform tests on other equipment.
from what i remember, and its been a few years. his had input and output leads and he was powering it from some unknown source. unknown to me at least. i only met the man maybe two times, and he had my attetion. i had took a voltage regulator to him that was trash, it had components removed. i dont know why but it was missing parts. i had the paper work to go with it, he sat down and says alright what goes in c13 i look at paper work tell him and in it goes! he checked the entire board after replacing at least a dozen componets and says here it should work. complicated little thing for what it does he says. wouldnt take a dime! i got home tried it and it made voltage and tripped the breaker. called him and told him what happened, and he said i like to get my hands on it again, there is one thing i would have done differently. took it back to him and he did his one thing differently and it has worked every since! the world could use more people like he was!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36:24 PM
Sponsor

most Amateur Radio guys have knowledge above the 12VDC automotive guys, save some of those working on late model computer controlled cars. some things can be easily explained, I can show you why a shorted quarter wave stub looks like an open, and open looks shorted. but explaining why, at the end of a quarter wave line, a choke looks like a cap and cap like a choke, is lead/lag stuff with math above my pay grade. the best engineers can explain this stuff to a noob, how to measure stuff, causes and fixes. nick named "Elmer", these guys know a lot from hard won experience.
a guy I learned from RIP
http://www.stlmediahistory.org/index...etail/bench-ed
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV