Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

I’m an old CBer

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 1370 times

Old 05-04-2019, 11:01:58 PM
Registered

Default I’m an old CBer

Looking to get back into talking skip Looking at s Ranger RCI-2995DX that will converted to CB Band and going to put up a Antron 99 base antenna ! What you all think will cost about a grand when I get all done !
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2019, 11:11:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: I知 an old CBer

Sounds about right and anything good costs lots of money today. Have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 11:18:11 PM
Registered

Am I throwing money at a dead hobby ! You don稚 see any base antennas and I値l tell you as a former truck driver 49 years CB is not used at all in the big rigs cal holler all day no one answers been that way for years !! Now skip I知 wondering if this is a foolish venture ?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:59:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,932 Posts

Might as well go all out and get your HAM ticket!

It is sad to hear that CB is no longer popular. Was neat back in the day.

I think cell phones have taken a toll on both CB and HAM. I have to admit that I too am guilty. I haven't picked up a radio in years. And I'm sitting here typing this on a stupid phone lol.

Keith
Old 05-05-2019, 12:32:32 AM
Registered

I hear Ham is in trouble too and isn't what it used to be! I was an over the road truck driver for 49 years! You can’t even find A CB shop anymore!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:58:03 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,892 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny p 148 View Post
...Looking at s Ranger RCI-2995DX that will converted to CB Band and going to put up a Antron 99 base antenna ! What you all think...
IF I had that much money to spend on a radio to use illegally for "CB", I would probably buy a Yaesu FT-450D and have it modified to do so.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:03:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,160 Times in 2,488 Posts

Nothing has changed with illegal cb'ers. Just a bunch of high powered hogwash. Now that they have degraded ham radio so that there is no code test and only a simple multiple choice test. (I guess they did this to strengthen the numbers using the frequencies.) It should be easy to upgrade and join the gang.

I'm a lifetime ARRL member, getting a free issue of QST magazine each month. Ham Radio went through a lean period for a while after the internet and cellular phones took over, but now the thickness of the magazine has increased greatly with more articles and more advertising from dealers. I'd say that it's as good as ever, so obviously the numbers are up in the ham population!

Radio is what you make of it. Pictures below are from the old days. That's a KWM-380 and an Alpha 77DX on the desk and a TA33 beam at 70' on the tower. Of course, I didn't start out that way. On the right is a National SW-54 a Globe Chief 90 and a Mosley TA-33jr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K2AOUimg028.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	334169   Click image for larger version

Name:	K2AOUimg029.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	334170   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2aou-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	334171   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2aou-3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	334172  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 01:21:07 PM
Registered

Wow Harry !! We had a Hamm here who actually talked often with Barry Goldwater he had a nice signed photo of Barry in his radio room! Another fella had a room like yours and he only talked with a key one of them fast keys you know the name of them! I used to go and sit with him a let him tell the stories of who he talked to! Amazing some of the post cards he had and he has a world map with pins in it for all he had contacted through the years he had some post cards from some famous people!!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:00:04 PM
Subscriber

Danm Harry, nothing like telling us how you really feel about CB'ers! On that note I was one of them CB'ers that you would have really hated! Had a whole basement of over powered, over driven hogwash equipment. Now, with that said, back in the day we thought Hammies where nothing but a bunch of lame duck stick in the mud, fuddy duddys that where about as entertaining as watching a Sloth climb a tree! I had some of the best times and met a lot of great people CB'ing! But I admit there where many CB'ers that had no respect for anyone else and where way out of control. I lived out in the country so I didn't interfere or have problems with neighbors. And for the most part our group kept to ourselves. Now that I am a lot older I have a lot more respect and understanding for the Ham community. We all have our opinions and hobbies are relevant, but I am proud to have been a fellow CB'r and it was a great time.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:07:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
I hear Ham is in trouble too and isn't what it used to be! I was an over the road truck driver for 49 years! You can’t even find A CB shop anymore!
OH !
I have been taking trips out to Tennessee to visit daughter & family about 3x year. Before that, Louisville. Before that, Richmond.
I drug out my 1969 CB (no SSB) and antenna and there is plenty of activity. Lot of trucks still have ears. Radio helps us at least once on each trip, and chatter is entertaining. On the last trip to Nashville, on way down, Truckers were talking about a bad wreck on RT 40 with a 10+ mile backup and alternate routes. Saved us a lot of time stuck in traffic.

On the way back, there was an accident with a horse trailer on 81. Again, truckers had bypass route.

The only difference I see is truckers have more disdain for "4 wheelers" than I remember. In the 1960's - 70's, we all used to talk to each other. Will talk to you until someone figures out you are a "4 wheeler", then someone will say "you're talking to a 4 wheeler" and they stop talking to me.

CB sales and repair shops advertise on the air, giving exit and directions. There were several that said they were just off 81. There isn't a shop on every corner like in 1970's, but there are shops out there. There are 2 places within 5 miles of me.

the other difference is there used to be a lot of kids on 19, and now I do not hear them. Either they moved to another band or are using Cell phones.

Quote:
Am I throwing money at a dead hobby ! You don’t see any base antennas and I’ll tell you as a former truck driver 49 years CB is not used at all in the big rigs cal holler all day no one answers been that way for years !! Now skip I’m wondering if this is a foolish venture ?
I do not know about where you are, but before packing the transceiver up, I was picking up truckers from my house, which is about 5 miles from nearest highway. I had nothing but trunk mount antenna standing in aluminum rain gutter. I did not try to talk because SWR was over 3.

---------- Post added at 05:07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
IF I had that much money to spend on a radio to use illegally for "CB", I would probably buy a Yaesu FT-450D and have it modified to do so.
I'd do a little studying get my Tech license, and use Yaesu legally on the technician portion of the HF band. Total with a good antenna will be less than CB setup, and you will have a lot more fun. Go find an "elmer".
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:09:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

All Remembering the CB days. I built a 50' tower, had a set of moon raker 4's atop it, set of eagles, 200 amp driving a JB 2000, Get up early in the morning, skip was running, and talk to everywhere from Canada,to New York to Minnesota to Brazil. I can do a near perfect British imitation and I'd key up and say, "This is the One Scottish Lad off the coast of Lankshire, we're brakin and staandin by. You'd roll in the floor and the comebacks I got. BYTW if any of you, ever talked to the Pressure Cooker, you now, know who it was in skip.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:14:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,160 Times in 2,488 Posts

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, but I had licensed CB too. It was excellent while travelling cross country with a motorhome, especially so with a Jeep towed behind. Handle was Fuzzy Pumper. The road reports were great and of course it was fun to keep track of Smokey bear.

I never did have CB at home though because I had my Ham license (1957) when I was 15. Good, bad or indifferent, that led me to a First Class Radiotelephone license and a career in the world of broadcasting.

Always good to do it legal and you can run 2,000 watts p.e.p. on single sideband. http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

"In 1958 the Class D CB service was created on 27 MHz, and this band became what is popularly known today as "Citizens Band". Only 23 channels were available at the time; the first 22 were taken from the former amateur radio service 11-meter band, and channel 23 was shared with radio-controlled devices. Some hobbyists continue to use the designation "11 meters" to refer to the Citizens Band and adjoining frequencies. Part 95 of the Code of Federal Regulations regulates the Class D CB service, on the 27 MHz band, since the 1970s and continuing today." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_band_radio

P.S. I voted for Barry Goldwater in 1964. Way back then Liberal TV wiped him out with fake news TV ads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:58:34 PM
Registered

I had what us truckers call s big radio in my 18 wheeler was running about 590 watts only way to talk around the big cities and also some big rigs were running 1000 watt linears I enjoyed it and in the truck stops the BS goes on all night long !! All night anyone want to buy this that you name it you know what I mean !!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02:03 PM
Subscriber

Around here, there certainly were some base station women with suggestive handles. Hot Pants, Dirty Sally, Lady Blue Jeans, Some of them were truly innocent names, some not. There was a lot of stuff hustled on the radio, back then.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:08:40 PM
Registered

Just went down the street for a Pizza and was lookin at all the roofs and yards not one antenna not even any tv antennas saw I think one ! In seventies and eighties were all over beams twin LDL 13’s with a rotor I actually had one naught it never used it sold it for peanuts I would like to see it come back again ! Never know fads to come and go again !
Old 05-06-2019, 12:43:20 AM
Registered

Harry 64 your old !!�� fake news way back the not much has changed just most of the players !!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:35:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,398 Times in 2,715 Posts

Seems a lot of us had CB and of course a handle. Post those names up!

For a grin and to get reactions I adopted a handle that got tons of laughs and an occasional groan.
'Rumpled Foreskin'
Old 05-06-2019, 08:45:06 AM
Subscriber

In the early 70's I owned a dirt stock car. Traveling on weekends to tracks, I got a mobile in the truck I hauled the car on. 2 of us going, so, if one of us broke down we could radio the other for help. My original handle was taken, and I struggled to come up with a new one. Car was painted Omaha Orange, so, I took on Omaha. Later had a base station and Omaha got shortened to "O", after beams and kicker, I wound up being called Big "O".
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56:48 AM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,200 Posts

OK, I will fess up... When I was 10 years old I had a pair of CB WalkieTalkies, and we used them when Playing Army.... I got my Novice Ticket when I was 12 years old... and stayed licensed until I found out about girls.... then when I went to College, I relicensed as a Tech, then General, and bumped up to Advanced during the brief Window they were available, during the '70s I think.. Just before they cut off New Advanced Licenses, again... I wanted to be different... I keep the Advanced for nostalgia reasons....
Old 05-06-2019, 01:32:05 PM

Thanked 6,760 Times in 4,297 Posts

My brother and I had a set of Tram Diamond XL5s..My brother worked at a military radio manufacturer and boosted the XL5s to 15 watts. I just used mine in my car with a 15' whip antenna. My brother had a Starduster on a 40 foot mast, and had some serious boosters on the output. He talked around the world with that thing, and I remember him getting post cards from around the world. he had 1/2 a dozen guys in australia he talked to regularly, as well as a few in england I was a member of a group that monitored channels 9 and 19, for truckers on I-80 and 280. Many a time I and a friend would run 20 gallons of diesel to guys who ran out of fuel. We also reported accidents to the cops. My radio was stolen at a local mall - the bas--rds smashed a window to get in, even though the door was unlocked too. My brothers radio was fried by a lightning strike that blew the Starduster to fragments. By then they were no longer in production, so we were out of luck for replacements. Sure was cool talking long distance with SSB and boosted power! Those were the days! Oh yeah - call sign was KPU-8936, and the handle was The mechanic.