Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Evinrude Model A reverse?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 349 times

Old 07-23-2019, 08:48:49 PM
Registered

Default Evinrude Model A reverse?

Hello, all. Been hunting for a rowboat motor for quite some time now, one turned up fairly local that caught my eye. It's a Model A with the reversing lower unit. "Cosmetic" restore but the fellow has never run it.. a bit leery on that. I've read mention of the reverse feature bring a problem, but never any example of how it worked or why it was an issue.
Does anyone here have a Model A? It's a magneto fired engine, missing the tag so I don't know the exact year. Just trying to figure out what I should watch out for. I have a little 14' Alumacraft I've been thinking of mounting it on, just to putter around a few local quiet ponds now and then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spenser Rynne For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 10:47:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: Evinrude Model A reverse?

Greetings Spenser, Neat engine you have there! I recently acquired a Model A that's a water pump. Model 1 1/2. At present I am just starting to sort it out. These early row boat engines could be quite a knuckle buster when starting if not done correctly. Lets see some pix on your new project. Enuf Said
Old 07-23-2019, 10:59:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mosley View Post
Greetings Spenser, Neat engine you have there! I recently acquired a Model A that's a water pump. Model 1 1/2. At present I am just starting to sort it out. These early row boat engines could be quite a knuckle buster when starting if not done correctly. Lets see some pix on your new project. Enuf Said
Not mine yet. Little bit of a hike to get it and I think the price is a bit high for a non-runner. I'll try and copy the photos over from C/list.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:57:06 PM
Registered

if you go thru the motor make sure the impeller works if its water cooled or byby motor
Old 07-24-2019, 08:00:16 AM
Subscriber

No impeller on an Evin. RBM. The water pump is a piston pump driven off the output shaft. The pictures show the early style (left)without the actuating ring and the later style with rhe ring that operaters the pump. The early A's were non reversing. The later As and Bs reversed by twisting the hand grip. This released a lock under the power head that allowed the lower unit to rotate 180 degrees forced to turn by the torque from the prop. To return the engine to forward simply twist the grip again as the engine is running and the lower unit rotates 180 degrees back to forward. These RBMs are getting hard to find. You never did mention what the owner was asking and a picture would be nice as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0724190749a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	339809   Click image for larger version

Name:	0724190750.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	339810  
FL
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Wells View Post
No impeller on an Evin. RBM. The water pump is a piston pump driven off the output shaft. The pictures show the early style (left)without the actuating ring and the later style with rhe ring that operaters the pump. The early A's were non reversing. The later As and Bs reversed by twisting the hand grip. This released a lock under the power head that allowed the lower unit to rotate 180 degrees forced to turn by the torque from the prop. To return the engine to forward simply twist the grip again as the engine is running and the lower unit rotates 180 degrees back to forward. These RBMs are getting hard to find. You never did mention what the owner was asking and a picture would be nice as well.

He's asking 500. Admits it's cosmetic only. Has never opened it up. No idea about spark either. Decals were masked and painted. Certainly not perfect but still looking decent. It's definitely the later style power unit with the rotating reverse.
I'm looking to actually run the thing now and then on the pond, frankly I'd rather start from a basket case and do it all myself, but they are pretty scarce here in Maine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00p0p_9djxQGsOGcx_600x450.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	339859  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:44:24 PM
Registered

Can't figure a wat to edit this. Rather, I should say something just looks off about the decals. Paint lines in them, etc. Not quite sure what he did. Lower end is polished somewhat. Attached should be some other photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00x0x_3y0wLzu5EWu_600x450.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	339860   Click image for larger version

Name:	00606_71XgJg2idoI_600x450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	339861   Click image for larger version

Name:	00T0T_8rdZkB93ZkD_600x450.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	339862  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:38:34 PM
Subscriber

Used to be able to buy that motor for $100 or less but those days are long gone. It looks very complete and not broke up. Quiet well worth more than $500 in some parts of the country. And you can always buy paint and new decals. Without knowing the mechanical condition Id say it looks worth the asking price. My 2 cents.
FL
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54:30 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Wells View Post
Used to be able to buy that motor for $100 or less but those days are long gone. It looks very complete and not broke up. Quiet well worth more than $500 in some parts of the country. And you can always buy paint and new decals. Without knowing the mechanical condition Id say it looks worth the asking price. My 2 cents.
I suppose I've spent more on stationary engines that sit around more often than not.. haha.
Just trying to figure out what I should watch out for? I'm more adjust to my big flywheel engines. And I'm well versed in later 2 strokes as I work a lot with antique snowmobiles.. but outboards I know nothing specific about.
I have read the top crank bushing on these can be an issue. Is there any way of just re-bushing this, providing it's loose? Any problem areas I should ask about?
By 'local' it's still over 2.5 hours 1 way from here. but much closer then some I have seen. I just want to try and ask the fellow before I run my F-100 all the way up there.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32:37 PM
Subscriber

Absolutly check the top main bearing for side to side movement and up and down movement. Being a 2 stroke this will have an effect on fuel intake.
FL
Old 07-24-2019, 07:14:43 PM
Registered

Is there any way of just re-bushing this.

Anything can be repaired. Probably has to be torn down and checked over properly anyway. Just depends on how much you want to spend.