Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs & Stratton Cam Timing

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 16578 times

Old 05-30-2006, 12:28:56 AM
Registered

Default Briggs & Stratton Cam Timing

I took apart the Briggs & Stratton engine (model 170432, type 1326 01, code 76090211) that I was asking for some advice on earlier to replace the leaking crancase gasket. Apparently, it was leaking because a previous owner (butcher) assembled the engine with RTV sealant only and no gasket. RTV is great stuff for it's purpose, but in this instance is no substitute for a gasket. I also found that the engine had likely been in a flood or something as there seemed to be a bit of water in the crankcase and what appeared to be a lot of silt deposits on the exterior. Surprisingly little rust either inside or out though. It doesn't appear to ever have been run. Perhaps they couldn't get it started on account of being full of water.

Anyway, now that I've done the necessary cleaning, I'd like to screw the thing back together. However, the ball bearing that supports the PTO side of the crank obscures the timing mark on the crank gear. Is there some trick to get around this problem. I'm sure that I could take the bearing off and then I could see the timing mark, but who wants to mess with a pressed on bearing if they don't have to. I'd need a bearing splitter and a puller and that will start to get expensive. I've heard of heating bearings like this to remove or install, but that sounds like a nuisance too. The last thing I want to do under any circumstances is to try reinstall the bearing with the engine partially assembled after I time the cam. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Frank
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2006, 01:17:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Briggs & Stratton Cam Timing

One way to get around the timing mark issue is to turn the cam so that the exhaust valve has just closed and the intake is about to open. Generally the valve springs / lifters will hold it in this position since there is very slight overlap in their opening. Now install the crank with the throw at TDC. This should set it correctly for you.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-30-2006, 02:58:11 AM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Briggs & Stratton Cam Timing

Couldn't have put it better my self! the TDC-valve split set up works for most 4 cycle engines, even multiple cylender jobs (as long as you know where #1 TDC is
Andrew
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04:11 AM
Subscriber

You have to install the crankshaft and cam at the same time because of the bearing in being place. What I have done is figure out as close as you can where you think the timing mark is and then check it to see if the values rock at topdead center on the exaust stoke. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:14:15 PM
Registered

Shouldnt the bearing be in the end plate...not on the crank...Thats usually how they go together.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04:42 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

Some B&S cranks have a timing dot on the counter weight when the roller bearing obscures the timing mark on the gear.

Kent
Old 05-31-2006, 11:12:33 PM
Registered

Kent,

I found the timing mark exactly as you described. Once I saw it, it seemed obvious. Perhaps I should have been paying more attention. When I put everything back together, I'll verify the accuracy of the mark with the method that the other fellows mentioned so that I know everything is indeed as it should be. Thanks for the help everybody,

Frank