Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Waterloos Are Wunderbar!

this thread has 211 replies and has been viewed 38263 times

Old 03-22-2018, 04:57:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,455 Posts
Default Re: Waterloos Are Wunderbar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
They say they only drink lemonade in Manitoba!

Must be some of that Manitoba mash lemonade

It would be a bit of a trip from Manitoba to California to get lemons back in those days
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 12:52:58 PM
Subscriber

What is the oldest known Waterloo traction and/or portable steam engine known to exsist?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterloo MFG Company Waterloo Ontario.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	306651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterloo Link Valve Gear.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	306652  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:33:34 PM
Subscriber

Do any of you Ontario guys know more on the 18 or 20-22hp? Waterloo engine at Norry Ontario near Campbellford?.Anybody have a idea of what happend and/or were the Hopewell Waterloo engine from the Breslau Ontario area is these days ?.I think it was a 20-22hp?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14:41 PM
Subscriber

The Frampton family's 1/2 scale engine buildt by the late Bill Morrit.This little engine was scaled from the Houston family of Owen Sound full size 25hp Waterloo engine some years back.Their was a nice write up on it back then in the old Canadian Antique Power magazine.Grandson Paul still exibit's the engine each year at shows here in Ontario and has been a regular sight at Milton Steam Era for many years
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paul Frampton  Scale Waterloo Milton Steam Era.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	308122  
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,842 Times in 409 Posts

In the early 80's Ralph Henderson and I used to visit with an older chap who had a 25 Waterloo down in the area south east of Windsor. I have wondered where it has gone. At that time I found a nice set of cast extensions in Alberta which I assume he put on it. He was so thrilled to find them he bought a new Ford pickup to go get them.This was in the mid 80's.
Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 10:57:07 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts

There will be a 22 Waterloo at NTA this year...... Perhaps you can give them pointers Onkel G!
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:18:25 PM
Registered

Hey Everyone,

I’m happy to share that over the labour day weekend of this year, I was able to realize a long time dream, and purchased my first full size traction engine.

It’s a 25HP Waterloo which was owned by the late Ralph Henderson of Blenheim Ontario. Based on the serial number, it is a 1918 engine. Serial Number 1771, which makes it the sister engine to Bob Houston’s engine (1770).

My engine is now being stored at the Ontario Steam Heritage Museum as I start the process of re-certification.

I do have a few questions of some people might be able to help me out.

All of the boiler paperwork was destroyed before the engine was sold, so I am searching to see if anyone might have record of this boiler OIN? It was never punched into the boiler. The CRN is visible, however the TSSA is only able to pull up bob Houston’s engine registration with that number. And their “user friendly” system isn’t able to look up boilers by name. If anyone might have record of this could you please let me know?

Also, I would verh much like to install belly tanks on this engine as seen in some Waterloo catalogs. Would anybody happen to have any photos of how the belly tanks were mounted on the differential frames for these 25 hp engines?

Thanks a bunch for your help! Looking forward to getting this engine operational and attending shows .

Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32BE72ED-C99A-468D-98D8-29C3025DF556.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	320884   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9154AAF-42B3-4C9B-BE23-F4DD3899F274.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	320885   Click image for larger version

Name:	421B7ECD-019B-4955-8761-ADCA80B450CB.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	320886  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Webb For This Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Webb View Post
Hey Everyone,

I’m happy to share that over the labour day weekend of this year, I was able to realize a long time dream, and purchased my first full size traction engine.

It’s a 25HP Waterloo which was owned by the late Ralph Henderson of Blenheim Ontario. Based on the serial number, it is a 1918 engine. Serial Number 1771, which makes it the sister engine to Bob Houston’s engine (1770).

My engine is now being stored at the Ontario Steam Heritage Museum as I start the process of re-certification.

I do have a few questions of some people might be able to help me out.

All of the boiler paperwork was destroyed before the engine was sold, so I am searching to see if anyone might have record of this boiler OIN? It was never punched into the boiler. The CRN is visible, however the TSSA is only able to pull up bob Houston’s engine registration with that number. And their “user friendly” system isn’t able to look up boilers by name. If anyone might have record of this could you please let me know?

Also, I would verh much like to install belly tanks on this engine as seen in some Waterloo catalogs. Would anybody happen to have any photos of how the belly tanks were mounted on the differential frames for these 25 hp engines?

Thanks a bunch for your help! Looking forward to getting this engine operational and attending shows .

Andrew.
Andrew,
Congrats on getting your engine.The U of G in Guelph Ontario has the Waterloo production records for Waterloo steam engines and it might also list the CRN No# aswell as other info such as original ownership/working history from 1918 and on
Old 10-15-2018, 03:41:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,623 Times in 7,472 Posts

Andrew,
Congratulations. You have a fine engine. You might try contacting Gord Tuck in St. Thomas or Bob Oliver at Oliver's Boilers. They both had a lot to do with getting that engine certified. They would know who the initial inspector was - perhaps he still has his notes from the inspection. Also, David Stirk had a listing of certified engines, but that one might have come later.
Also try TSSA's Brian Gee. He seemed to be able to cut through the fog at that organization.
Ralph Henderson was one of the nicest men anyone would want to know. His Waterloo went to a good home, I think!
Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 04:00:00 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
Andrew,
Congrats on getting your engine.The U of G in Guelph Ontario has the Waterloo production records for Waterloo steam engines and it might also list the CRN No# aswell as other info such as original ownership/working history from 1918 and on
https://www.lib.uoguelph.ca/find/fin...al-collections
Old 10-16-2018, 12:50:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hoffman View Post
In the early 80's Ralph Henderson and I used to visit with an older chap who had a 25 Waterloo down in the area south east of Windsor. I have wondered where it has gone. At that time I found a nice set of cast extensions in Alberta which I assume he put on it. He was so thrilled to find them he bought a new Ford pickup to go get them.This was in the mid 80's.
Cheers.
Hi George, Ralph was a very dear friend of mine. The Waterloo that you mention was owned by Cameron Scott of Leamington. He and his brother Walter were true gentlemen, and they lived into their late 90s. The engine has been purchased by Carl Forest near Staples Ontario, as well as the extension wheels. It has not been steamed in many years, but is being preserved at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmall_Doctor For This Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 02:09:17 PM
Subscriber

Anybody know more on this engine and/or know were it went when it sold?

Engine #91108

https://www.sheridanauctionservice.c...details/16120/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZpXj1IkwY
Old 10-19-2018, 11:17:40 PM
Registered

Hey Everyone!

Today we went on the literary adventure of viewing the archives at the U of Guelph.

Learned many different aspects of the sales timeline of Ontario engines. It almost seems Waterloo was selling more refurbished Sawyer Massey and Geo White engines than they were their own!

Every individual record of sale is a work of art! Each beautifully handwritten.

We found various serial number records for several engines we wanted to research today, including when my own engine, was refurbished and sold multiple times in Ontario. Likely after returning from out west.

There are, however, many serial numbers that are missing from the sales records. I believe we found record of only one 25HP engine originally sold in Ontario.

Does anyone know where there might be records of engines sold in Western Canada? It would be nice to find some Original sales records for the 25 Waterloo's still remaining in Ontario.

In other news, the TSSA was finally able to find the file in the computer for my engine! Laying out my grid for NDE starts tomorrow!

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Webb For This Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42:31 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,623 Times in 7,472 Posts

Mr. Webb,
So far, we have not found the Waterloo sales records from Portage la Prairie. I was doing some research on another subject in Portage and was told that the last of the Waterloo buildings was torn down a couple of years back. The individual told me that there was paper work flying everywhere as they knocked the building down. Local institutions do not seem to have anything. That is too bad because Waterloo sold a lot of engines and equipment in western Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 05:24:29 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Webb View Post
Hey Everyone!

Today we went on the literary adventure of viewing the archives at the U of Guelph.

Learned many different aspects of the sales timeline of Ontario engines. It almost seems Waterloo was selling more refurbished Sawyer Massey and Geo White engines than they were their own!

Every individual record of sale is a work of art! Each beautifully handwritten.

We found various serial number records for several engines we wanted to research today, including when my own engine, was refurbished and sold multiple times in Ontario. Likely after returning from out west.

There are, however, many serial numbers that are missing from the sales records. I believe we found record of only one 25HP engine originally sold in Ontario.

Does anyone know where there might be records of engines sold in Western Canada? It would be nice to find some Original sales records for the 25 Waterloo's still remaining in Ontario.

In other news, the TSSA was finally able to find the file in the computer for my engine! Laying out my grid for NDE starts tomorrow!

Thanks!

Andrew,
Any idea as to when Waterloo started or stopped using the Marsh steam pump on the 25HP Waterloo's?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49:18 AM
Registered

Hey CT,

I didn’t see anything in the records stating Marsh pumps were removed, or added from any 25’s.

From what I can see, there was maybe only 1 or 2 25’s actually originally sold in Ontario new.... almost all of them, including the 30hp were all sold out west.

If anyone has pics of the 25 with belly tanks please send them my way! Would like to add them to my engine, but need to figure out how they were mounted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Webb For This Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:08:42 PM
Subscriber

Quote:

Engine #91108

Hello to all, the engine in question is owned by Tom and Wade Trout (father and son) in Monroe, Michigan. We bought it two years ago in Ypsilanti, Michigan after replacing some piping and all the inspections done we fried it up and it ran great. My question is what horse power is it? The numbers on the boiler are G724, G658, 5t407, 5-7774 and crank number 1738.

This engine was also talked about in an earlier in this forum, but we did not get the saw setup.

In June we had it at the NTA Wauseon, Ohio show.

---------- Post added at 09:08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02:57 PM ----------

Quote:

Engine #91108

Hello to all, the engine in question is owned by Tom and Wade Trout (father and son) in Monroe, Michigan. We bought it two years ago in Ypsilanti, Michigan after replacing some piping and all the inspections done we fried it up and it ran great. My question is what horse power is it? The numbers on the boiler are G724, G658, 5t407, 5-7774 and crank number 1738.

This engine was also talked about in an earlier in this forum, but we did not get the saw setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to TTrout For This Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:22:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTrout View Post

---------- Post added at 09:08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02:57 PM ----------

Your engine is what Waterloo called a 20-22 hp and were basically a general purpose type engine here in Canada in particular Ontario.If you guys are interested in finding out the engines working history i would surgest contacting the U of G in Guelph Ontario

https://www.lib.uoguelph.ca/find/fin...al-collections
Old 10-24-2018, 07:02:58 AM
Registered

I know they were calling it a 20hp at Wauseon, but it looked like an 18 to me. As soon as I crested the track at the infield I said to the boys "Hey, there's an 18 Waterloo here"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmall_Doctor For This Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 03:26:04 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
I know I posted this photo a long time ago, but I thought it should be on Mr. Williker's thread too. This engine was owned by the late Walt Christopherson and was at Cut Bank, Montana, at that time. I don't remember if it had a butt strap boiler or not, G.? Being south of Alberta, it could have had one? My old mind isn't what it used to be.
Gary

This engine was sold to Howard Grabhorn of Beaverton, Oregon. It's serial #1496 and I believe it's a 25hp. Yes, it is a butt strap boiler. Do you guys have any idea what year it is? I'll have to post some of my pictures of it and the stamping on the boiler when I get a chance. I'm helping Mr. Grabhorn's family get it ready for auction in February since he passed away. It must have been a belt engine, every single gear on it looks brand new.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Williams For This Post: