Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

A.H.McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 7901 times

Old 09-01-2007, 06:44:43 PM
Registered

Default A.H.McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

i only have this plaque for it which was found in the ground but id like to know what exactly the machine looks like if anyone has a photo, i have searched with google and found a lot of pictures but none that match it and i was wondering if anyone had one they could show me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_12.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	22655  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33:31 AM
Registered

Default Re: A.H.McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

Bryan,
I have a copy of Kenneth McDonalds book, and I thought "Yea" it will be in their, BUT it's not. All the McDonald built machines only have a four didgit number, and a prefix to denote the model of the machine. The only thing it lists with five didgit serial numbers is re badged engines by Roseberry, and Ronnaldon Tippet (and Avance tractors from the 20s). The Roseberrys were the closest with numbers between 27223 and 56569 built between 1947 to 1953 with about 300 re badged as McDonald. The Ronnaldson Tippet model Ns were numbered 31392 to 90470 between 1956 and 1961 with about fifty recieving the treatment. With such a large variation in numbers and so few in the series, I think the numbers are possibly those of the original maker, either Ronny or Roseberry, that would explain why there is no prefix denoting series on your plate. If McDonald built it I think it would have had the prefix such as CD, SD, TWB or whatever telling you what type of machine it is. I have never seen a plate like yours before and I am no McDonald expert so anything I say other than what is strait out of the McDonald book is only guesswork. Best guess (and guess it is) is that K.N. McDonald didn't have all the information when he published the book and it's off a re badged Roseberry from about 1946/47. Someone more knoledgeable than I will probibally jump in and contradict what I have said, and if they do I will be happy to find out the truth.
Goodluck
Graham
Old 09-04-2007, 06:40:30 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,387 Times in 783 Posts

Could it have been a name tag from one of the lines of tractors they produced also?

Alfred Henry McDonald commenced business in Flinders Street, Melbourne, in 1903. Assisted by his brother Ernest, his company designed and manufactured petrol engines specifically for driving electric generators. In 1903 this was indeed advanced technology! Twelve months later A.H. McDonald & Co. moved to larger premises in Hawthorn where plans were drawn up for the production of a petrol powered agricultural “self propelled machine”. In 1910 the company relocated yet again, this time to a brand new factory and foundry facility at Richmond.

McDonald unveiled the first of a long line of farm tractors in 1908. Known as the AE, it was powered by a 20 hp two cylinder petrol engine of his own design and its introduction marked the birth of the Australian tractor industry
Old 09-04-2007, 07:01:17 AM
Registered

Smile Re: A.H.McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

Hi Bryan, this tag is off a A.H.McDonald vacuum pump used in a dairy, i have had a few of these over the years and they are fairly common down southern victoria,hope this of help,cheers Dave
Old 09-04-2007, 07:19:36 AM
Registered

The trouble with it being off a tractor or Roller (they were famous for building road rollers) is that their tractors and rollers were built in small numbers, and had the prefix to denote series on the plate. The most prolific tractor was the TWB model built in the thirties, and starting at 73 TWB in 1931 they ran until TWB 879 in 1944, and had TWB on the ID plate. Most of their production was like this with very low numbers, and because they used a prefix clearly visible on the builders plate, (TWB for the 2 stroke tractors) it meant that they never exceeded the need for a four digit number. The five didgit number shown on Bryan's plate is a bit of a puzzle, and the only thing that seems to fit is for a re badged petrol engine. Both Westinghouse Roseberry and Ronaldon Tippet were large volume builders of popular engines at the time, and both of them would have had the need for the five digit number, so my guess would be that when McDonald's re badged these engines they used the number of the original manufacturer.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21:18 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave,
KN McDonalds book doesn't go into vacume pumps and such, so its nice to track it down.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:09:51 PM
Registered

than you all for your help, now i just have to find a picture of it..
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22:19 AM
Registered

your name plate could also be off a mcdonald oiler eg TWS or TWB tractor
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43:56 PM
Registered

Hello Brian,
I am a bit late coming in on this discussion, but have you tried the McDonald Registrar, John Touzel? His contact details are in every TOMM issue. I think he has a bit of info on the dairy equipment they made.
Ian