Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln Ranger 8 - Connect to House

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 14309 times

Old 01-18-2008, 05:00:06 PM
Registered

Default Lincoln Ranger 8 - Connect to House

I was lucky enough to acquire a mint 70 hour tt Lincoln 20 horsepower Ranger 8 unit at an estate auction that nobody came to. It included all the welding cables, a custom small trailer, cover, and the cable for connecting to the house for back up power. Unfortunately I could not see how it had been hooked up to his house.

My question is what is the correct way to connect this for home emergency power. I've heard of control boxes that connect to the home panel. Any reccomendations as to types and models. Tips for proper connections. We are an all electric house but I have a backup wood furnace so my main concern is the well pump and appliances.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Lincoln Ranger 8 - Connect to House

Mike, The best suggestion I can give is to call a licensed electrician. He can advise you on the type of transfer switch that he would recommend for your needs and the capabilities of the Ranger. He would probably recommend a multi circuit switch rather than a whole house unit which would probably be considerably cheaper anyway. I don't know your house load demands or your needs during outages but he can advise you and do load calcs based on what you need. I doubt the Ranger is capable of supplying the whole house and why take a chance of damaging the unit. Also a good electrician that is familiar with this type installation could prevent a house fire or serious injury or death to you, your family or some poor unsuspecting lineman. Good luck
Old 01-21-2008, 11:13:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I like your idea of the switches.
Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39:08 PM
Registered

Like BGunn said you should get a licensed electrician to be legal. I have an older Lincoln G8000 that I've used as backup power. It wont run the entire house but kept the necessary things powered up.

J.I.M.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:19:05 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,016 Times in 634 Posts

Here is how I do it. Make a "extension cord" of proper size for amp draw with male plugs on both ends. Pull main from breakerbox. Plug one end into gen. and the other into dryer plug. Turn off all breakers. Start gen. and set breakers that you want to use. The only danger is that male end can be hot if the plug is in the gen. and it is on.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52:16 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHFoster View Post
Here is how I do it. Make a "extension cord" of proper size for amp draw with male plugs on both ends. Pull main from breakerbox. Plug one end into gen. and the other into dryer plug. Turn off all breakers. Start gen. and set breakers that you want to use. The only danger is that male end can be hot if the plug is in the gen. and it is on.
It's not a good idea to use the male-male cord method to hook up to your house.

First, you could backfeed the power line and electrocute a lineman.

Second, you would be limited to the amperage of the circuit breaker you were feeding back into the panel with.

Best bet for a quick fix is to run a heavy duty extension cord to the area of the items you want to power.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
Old 01-25-2008, 11:47:20 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,016 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
READ. There is no more danger in doing what I said than what you said.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:04:45 AM
Registered

I agree it is not a good idea or insurable, to have a double male ended cord, but if the main breaker stays off, there should be no danger to a lineman.
I have used this method in a pinch. A dryer outler breaker will handle all a ranger8 can put out also.
I still wouldn't reccomend it unless in an emergency.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
READ. There is no more danger in doing what I said than what you said.
I have used this idea before, but you can not make any mistakes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48:36 PM
Registered

Speaking as a licensed electrician I have to say the double male plug idea is a little too risky. If anything were to go wrong you would be held responsible. My advice would be to install a small sub panel with an interlocking double main breaker specifically made for this purpose. Just select the circuits you want the generator to supply, remove them from your main panel and install them in the sub panel. Then feed the sub with an appropriate gauge of wire from the main panel, and install a weather proof male twist lock plug outside your home (as close to the main panel as possible to keep wire costs down) that will feed the “generator” side of the interlocking main breaker. All that’s left to do is to make an extension cord with a male plug that goes into the generator and a female twist lock that connects to the plug on the side of the house. That set up will be 100% legal and safe, the interlocking breaker keeps sure you can’t back feed the utility and you won’t have to mess around with the dryer plug.

I don’t know how many KW or what kind of voltage (120V or 120/240V)your generator/welder puts out but with more details I could tell you what gauge of wire and breakers and plugs you will need. You should be able to pick up just about everything you need at Home Depot, I personally like the Square D or Siemens panels (FPE Stablock is junk). If you’re not comfortable with electricity on this scale you might want to consult an electrician in your area. We’re still cheaper than lawyers!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33:43 AM
Registered

NEC code requires a mechanical lockout of some sort. There are many avaliable. There's a cheap one avaliable, I can't remember the name, I think it's called Interlockit, or something. You basically just install another breaker in your panel and backfeed it, but with the lockout you cannot have the feed breaker on unless the main is off. That is perfectly "legal", safe, and insurable. The cost of the lockout is less than 100.00, plus the cost of wire, breaker, and plugs necessary.

That is the "right" way to do basically the same as backfeeding the dryer plug, but a lot safer all around.

Another thing to consider is that although backfeeding the dryer plug is perfectly do-able, and if done right poses no risk to linemen or danger of fire; besides the non-insurable thing, it also opens you up to a huge lawsuit. In this sue-happy society we live in now, I don't want to take on a billion dollar corperation becuase I didn't want to spend 300.00.

Short of that, you would have to install a transfer switch. They are called "Double throw, double pole", which means it is physically impossible for service power and backup up power to be connected at the same time. I bought a 200 amp transfer switch for less than 300.00. Best part is, is that it is mounted on the service pole 100' from the house, which is where I plug the genset in so it is nice and quiet in the house.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:22:22 AM
eMail NOT Working

Here's what I did to my home after going through the pain of running cords and moving appliances during an outage. It was mentioned above that the Seimens is a good panel - I feel that way too.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34876

There's one other issue with using the backfeed method. The Lincoln has its neutral bonded to the frame of the welder (should say that right on the front panel), and backfeeding results in the neutral bonded in two places - at the welder and at the service entrance - not good. For a neutral-bonded-to-frame generator, you should us a panel that also switches the neutral.

I have a 20 hp Kohler-powered Lincoln Ranger 8 that will plug in to this panal, but I am a little suspicious of the "quality" of the electricity it produces. I tried to set the frequency at 3,500 - 4,000 watt load to 60 Hz, but found that the voltage dropped down to 108 or so, with no way to adjust voltage. To bring the voltage back up to about 115, it needs to run about 3,750 RPM, and that messes up the frequency.

All that said, I still use it to power my shop from time to time when it is too cold to get the Onan started, and there has been no "quality" issues to deal with. Just check yours, as it may not be as variable as mine.
John
Old 04-06-2008, 12:44:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Double throw switches are the best way to go. It takes the "dummy factor" out so there's no way to backfeed into the transmission line, endangering lineworkers. Another big plus is that it's so easy to make the transition from line power to your genset. They're spendy as heck, but your insurance man and electrical inspectors will love you for it. It's easy for them to see that things are protected from accidental backfeeding, where as fancy schmantzy setups will take time for them to trace how the juice will run.
JMHO
Old 04-16-2008, 09:51:40 PM
Registered

You didn't hear this from me but I used a knife switch to tranfer only the water pump power....period. The other essintials I just plugged'm in.....like the frig to keep the food cool, or the tv to see what in the hell happened.......to hell with the rest......nothing a wood stove and candles can't handle. Come hell or high water I'm flush'n and take'n a bath.